What's new

New Here - Just Started Rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pay attention to any home roller here about blending, listen to this guy. This is very solid advice that is good to revisit even if you are seasoned and trying out new leaf. Early on in this hobby I contacted a pro in the industry and asked some advice on blending. He didn't give me much but I will never forget him telling me I need seco, viso, and ligero in all my blends to keep them balanced. Now, I have had good blends with let's say two leaves seco and one leaf ligero with no viso that have been good, but the blends with all three primings have been the best.
Absolutely, I am learning and Gdaddy videos really helped me to get enough confidence to actually try it. I appreciate all the advice i'm getting here. I should have joined earlier but having a 3 year old really takes a lot of my time. haha!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use what tobacco you currently have.
The three basic leaves used are Volado (thin seco) for combustion, Seco for aroma/flavor and ligero for strength/flavor. A simple rule of thumb is to start use 1/3 of each in equal amounts.

A good exercise in blending would be to roll the mildest cigar possible and then try to roll the strongest. This will give you a better understanding of the flavors and strength. You need that knowledge in order to blend. Like a chef using spices in his cooking recipes know the taste and effects of the herbs and spices.

Question... of the cigars you have rolled... what do they taste like to you?
Thank you! Great advice!

Well I made a few for my father on Father's Day and he loved them. I thought they tasted very good. Very bold, VERY earthy though. A little too much 'earth' / 'leather' taste maybe for my liking. I also noticed not too much spice. I tend to like the 'pepper' taste and I did not find my homemade had that. Strength was spot on - I was actually expecting them to be stronger than they were. Smooth smoke overall. About 1/2 through cigar I noticed a bitter taste. Could have been too much glue? I am using Gum Arabic. Or it could have been just the way I was smoking it. Overall though, for my 1st attempt? I was pretty proud.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thank you! Great advice!

Well I made a few for my father on Father's Day and he loved them. I thought they tasted very good. Very bold, VERY earthy though. A little too much 'earth' / 'leather' taste maybe for my liking. I also noticed not too much spice. I tend to like the 'pepper' taste and I did not find my homemade had that. Strength was spot on - I was actually expecting them to be stronger than they were. Smooth smoke overall. About 1/2 through cigar I noticed a bitter taste. Could have been too much glue? I am using Gum Arabic. Or it could have been just the way I was smoking it. Overall though, for my 1st attempt? I was pretty proud.
In my experience the bitterness is usually due to smoking with a higher moisture content or possibly smoking a little too fast. Next time you experience a cigar getting bitter, "purge" the cigar by gently blowing through it, let it sit about a half minute, then continue to enjoy. It is amazing how effective that trick can be.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome! Can't always rely upon any LO description :p the only way to truly know is to roll and smoke your own samples... LO isn't always consistent ... one batch may be awesome the next batch sub par to the first... so for me I order and blend based on current quality and leaf condition... Havana Primed and 7 are awful wrappers IMO... I love to use them as wraps for my whistle press because they are thick and leathery but most smokers don't smoke the press so I don't ever have to worry about the burn inconsistencies. The pepper varies per batch as well. I like to use that leaf as a binder if I am using multiple wrappers and as an exterior filler (filler closest to the binder) ... the leaf is absolutely bitter at the base vein... I cut 4-5 inches off the base of those leaves... so during bunching the bitter ends don't get tossed into the blends. Think of it like lettus... the thin veins at the dark green leafy end is nice... but the thick end closest to the off shoot is bitter... so in your salad you cut that off before tossing... same with your stogie leaf... prepping is as important as blending... if not more so. Blessings on your rolling journey -xox

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the information. I will try to 'purge' next time I smoke my homemade.
In addition, forgive my ignorance but what is a 'whistle press' ?

Good analogy on the salad. I was not removing the bottom portion of any of the leaf prior to rolling.

Oh boy, I think I might have really been had by LO on this Havana Prime. You guys have me a little nervous about this leaf. ha! But experimenting is fun.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Welcome! Can't always rely upon any LO description :p the only way to truly know is to roll and smoke your own samples... LO isn't always consistent ... one batch may be awesome the next batch sub par to the first... so for me I order and blend based on current quality and leaf condition... Havana Primed and 7 are awful wrappers IMO... I love to use them as wraps for my whistle press because they are thick and leathery but most smokers don't smoke the press so I don't ever have to worry about the burn inconsistencies. The pepper varies per batch as well. I like to use that leaf as a binder if I am using multiple wrappers and as an exterior filler (filler closest to the binder) ... the leaf is absolutely bitter at the base vein... I cut 4-5 inches off the base of those leaves... so during bunching the bitter ends don't get tossed into the blends. Think of it like lettus... the thin veins at the dark green leafy end is nice... but the thick end closest to the off shoot is bitter... so in your salad you cut that off before tossing... same with your stogie leaf... prepping is as important as blending... if not more so. Blessings on your rolling journey -xox
Never thought of it that way. I cut the outer crescent of a half leaf for my wrapper, then use the inner half moon for my binder. I'll have to waste more outer bits on the next batch, and see if that gives me sweeter results.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
In my experience the bitterness is usually due to smoking with a higher moisture content or possibly smoking a little too fast. Next time you experience a cigar getting bitter, "purge" the cigar by gently blowing through it, let it sit about a half minute, then continue to enjoy. It is amazing how effective that trick can be.
This advice needs to be repeated to every newbie, can't believe how long it took me to find this info when i started...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thank you all for the information. I will try to 'purge' next time I smoke my homemade.

Good analogy on the salad. I was not removing the bottom portion of any of the leaf prior to rolling.

Oh boy, I think I might have really been had by LO on this Havana Prime. You guys have me a little nervous about this leaf. ha! But experimenting is fun.
Don't be worried about it, i bet it just needs a good partner to blend with, you won't know unless you try!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

No forgiveness needed ;) I founded "the whistle press" ... the head is pressed to mimic a tin whistle and serve as a filter for the marinatiin blends I add to the tobacco blends :) have fun and enjoy -xox

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ReMix... we ought to meet up with Dpepe and roll.

I hit that new cigar lounge on rt 13... I think it was you who told me about it, right? I forget the name of the place. It's maybe a mile and a half from where I work. I asked how much to join the lounge. He said five dollars a month. I said WHAT? Guy said five clams, I said am I hearing you right, he said five, I said SIGN ME UP! So now, on a day when it's too steaming hot to smoke on the old bridge across the Christina, or when there's snow on the ground, I can enjoy a lunch time smoke in my five buck lounge. Outrageous. Big flat screens, wifi, new leather couches, outdoor smokin porch... Let's Go!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ReMix... we ought to meet up with Dpepe and roll.

I hit that new cigar lounge on rt 13... I think it was you who told me about it, right? I forget the name of the place. It's maybe a mile and a half from where I work. I asked how much to join the lounge. He said five dollars a month. I said WHAT? Guy said five clams, I said am I hearing you right, he said five, I said SIGN ME UP! So now, on a day when it's too steaming hot to smoke on the old bridge across the Christina, or when there's snow on the ground, I can enjoy a lunch time smoke in my five buck lounge. Outrageous. Big flat screens, wifi, new leather couches, outdoor smokin porch... Let's Go!

Yessssss!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the invitations and advice! I would love to meet up - that would be a tough one these days with leaving my 3 year old. Soon though!

So I got my leaf from LO yesterday. Man, that is one dirty gritty leaf. I was sorting through to see what I could use as binder or wrapper and my whole rolling station was covered in dirt. Leaf smells nice though.
Finding a cigar press/mold is not easy these days. Ebay'ers seem to ask a lot of money for them. Wish me luck boys - maybe I'll start to roll a few in celebration of our Independence.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you all for the invitations and advice! I would love to meet up - that would be a tough one these days with leaving my 3 year old. Soon though!

So I got my leaf from LO yesterday. Man, that is one dirty gritty leaf. I was sorting through to see what I could use as binder or wrapper and my whole rolling station was covered in dirt. Leaf smells nice though.
Finding a cigar press/mold is not easy these days. Ebay'ers seem to ask a lot of money for them. Wish me luck boys - maybe I'll start to roll a few in celebration of our Independence.
Make you a deal: Herf on down to my new cedar lined smokin porch, bring your 3 year old, we'll push him on the swing in the back yard, Nana can feed him some cookies, Nana's bichon pup can lick him half to death, we'll get Remix to come over and demo her roll, and I'll gift you a mold I don't use.

Beat that deal with a stick.

I don't like the idea of dirty gritty leaf. You're paying by the pound for dirt. Reminds me of the first round the world traveller -- Francesco Carletti -- first man to travel round the world as a tourist. Describes a whole crap pile of fascinating stuff. Emphasis on food, sex, and drugs. Anyhoo, when he got to China, he comments on what a nation of wall to wall chiselers they are, tells how in the market place, you go to buy a duck or a fish, the merchant is sure to have fed the critter sand, to make it weigh more. Carletti. He's a good read.

Was thinking of making my once a month stash-for-the-tobaccolypse purchase from LeafOnly. Starting to re-think that option now. Jorge's ligero was way dirty too; but he weighed out well over a pound to make up for it. Picked out a batch of binder candidates from Jorge's seco last night. He's got some flavorful leaf, for sure.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make you a deal: Herf on down to my new cedar lined smokin porch, bring your 3 year old, we'll push him on the swing in the back yard, Nana can feed him some cookies, Nana's bichon pup can lick him half to death, we'll get Remix to come over and demo her roll, and I'll gift you a mold I don't use.

Beat that deal with a stick.

I don't like the idea of dirty gritty leaf. You're paying by the pound for dirt. Reminds me of the first round the world traveller -- Francesco Carletti -- first man to travel round the world as a tourist. Describes a whole crap pile of fascinating stuff. Emphasis on food, sex, and drugs. Anyhoo, when he got to China, he comments on what a nation of wall to wall chiselers they are, tells how in the market place, you go to buy a duck or a fish, the merchant is sure to have fed the critter sand, to make it weigh more. Carletti. He's a good read.

Was thinking of making my once a month stash-for-the-tobaccolypse purchase from LeafOnly. Starting to re-think that option now. Jorge's ligero was way dirty too; but he weighed out well over a pound to make up for it. Picked out a batch of binder candidates from Jorge's seco last night. He's got some flavorful leaf, for sure.
I cannot beat that offer - AT all my friend. I will have to see what I can do. Thank you again for such a kind offer.

Yeah I am a little disappointed in the quality of leaf but i'll judge it once I actual smoke it. I know I've seen all kinds of threads on 'when to smoke' your home rolled. I've been doing 1 week dry and 2 weeks in humidor. Anybody actually try to see if they can taste a difference if they smoke them right away? Just curious.

Lastly, I was attempting to experiment on infusing one or two cigars using dried hops for 2 weeks (I homebrew as well) and I tasted nothing - it was a good try, my ziploc smelled awesome.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I cannot beat that offer - AT all my friend. I will have to see what I can do. Thank you again for such a kind offer.

Yeah I am a little disappointed in the quality of leaf but i'll judge it once I actual smoke it. I know I've seen all kinds of threads on 'when to smoke' your home rolled. I've been doing 1 week dry and 2 weeks in humidor. Anybody actually try to see if they can taste a difference if they smoke them right away? Just curious.

Lastly, I was attempting to experiment on infusing one or two cigars using dried hops for 2 weeks (I homebrew as well) and I tasted nothing - it was a good try, my ziploc smelled awesome.
Ask ReMix... She has a unique way of dusting powdered dried teas onto her sticks. Not a bad result ... and that comes from a guy who abhors infused cigars. Your dried hops might be applied similarly. Bring some with you.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

I'm also a homebrewer aspiring to go pro. I have noticed marked differences in my sticks smoking at 1-2 weeks opposed to 2 months plus. It all depends on the blend and the leaf in question. Some of my blends taste true to the blend early on, they just smooth out and get more refined with time. Other blends change drastically. It's just like the beer you brew. Sometimes they are good to drink right out of the fermentor, other times they need to age to become what you want them to be. The only way to know is trial and error.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a homebrewer aspiring to go pro. I have noticed marked differences in my sticks smoking at 1-2 weeks opposed to 2 months plus. It all depends on the blend and the leaf in question. Some of my blends taste true to the blend early on, they just smooth out and get more refined with time. Other blends change drastically. It's just like the beer you brew. Sometimes they are good to drink right out of the fermentor, other times they need to age to become what you want them to be. The only way to know is trial and error.
Going pro?! That is awesome! Good luck! Brewing beer is a blast - although I have to admit, I've made some pretty awful beer in my day. I had a Christmas Beer that I made that tasted like sour cherry and vinegar. ha!

Ya know - Brewery and Cigar Shop sounds like a good business plan. I think we have something here. haha!

Yeah I've been trying to see how the tastes change. I wish I could spend more time on it. I've been keeping a log but lately i've been lazy with it.