What's new

New humidor question

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just bought a cabinet humidor from a buddy of mine who doesn't smoke or use it anymore. We used to be roommates and when we lived together the cabinet was solid. It was dry when I got it and needed some leaky spots sealed but I tools care of that. I am excited to have the space to buy and store more cigars now, but as I am seasoning the humidor the bottom is getting really humid, above 80% and the top is only getting to about 55% rh.
I turned the humidification down and am trying to let it just work itself out but am starting to worry about it. The boxes in the pic are empty and only in there to absorb some humidity themselves so I can use them as containers for my loose cigars any help or insight would e greatly appreciated.
ThanX ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347941771.073739.jpg

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I know it helps to stagger the fans around, but wouldn't someone also want to stagger some beads around as well?

Not insulting your intelligence Fat_risling, this may be the case currently. I am just asking for myself, and others who might stumble upon this thread.

I'm envious of your new cigar home brotha! Thats a sweet setup my friend!

Im guessing you wont need that winedor anymore?! :grin:

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I know it helps to stagger the fans around, but wouldn't someone also want to stagger some beads around as well?

Not insulting your intelligence Fat_risling, this may be the case currently. I am just asking for myself, and others who might stumble upon this thread.

I'm envious of your new cigar home brotha! Thats a sweet setup my friend!

Im guessing you wont need that winedor anymore?! :grin:

-Chrisso
It's not a winedor just a wine cooler always wanted to convert it but it's a cool cooling system so I don't think it would work as a winedor. I have never used beads and hadn't planned to necessarily was hoping the humidification unit inside and possibly a fan or two would do the trick but I may have to replace the unit...

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
if you are running active humidification in a cabinet, i always suggest beads. active humidification of course can fix the problem of humidity being too low, but what about when it is too high? beads are perfect solution to that.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Living in las Vegas I just have never come close to having too much humidification I will look into some beads tho. Do they release humidity like boveda? Or are they just going to absorb it? Heartfelt are best?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Heartfelt, and HCM beads are what Ive read around. Heartfelt beads I believe are sponsors to BOTL.

My understanding is that both are a "2 way system" of releasing when its under, and absorbing when its too high.

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Anyone use beads? Does the two way work as well as boveda? Do I need fans with beads still or no need for fans? If I spread beads out or kept them all in one place does that change the fan?
ThanX

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You might want to direct these questions to the "ask Ron" area... but I could be wrong.

I would think that you would want fans in there moving the air around and hopefully equalize the humidity.

Just my 2 cents.
-Chrisso

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Stack a half lb of beads on every shelf. Turn the oasis down to 67% and call it a day. Unless you want to add additional fans facing upward in the bottom your going to have some problems from what the pics look like. Not enough air flow for the active humidifier. Beads will help you keep the 65% humidity towards the top........
Edit: How long have u had it and have you been running the active humidifier? Give it 2 weeks to stabalize with the bottom reading 72% and running.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Stack a half lb of beads on every shelf. Turn the oasis down to 67% and call it a day. Unless you want to add additional fans facing upward in the bottom your going to have some problems from what the pics look like. Not enough air flow for the active humidifier. Beads will help you keep the 65% humidity towards the top........
Edit: How long have u had it and have you been running the active humidifier? Give it 2 weeks to stabalize with the bottom reading 72% and running.
Had it since Friday I am trying to be patient with it and let it season. I moved the moist n air unit to the middle shelf and turned it down a bit don't think it is reading correctly after working a double today got home and it was 72 on the bottom hygrometer and 63 on te top so starting to stabilize more I may just have to leave the humidification on the middle shelf or just buy some beads maybe both. Thank you everyone for advice and help

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I have a cabinet that a little bigger than yours (but not much) that is build by the same manufacturer. I did not try just beads so can't comment on it but for a cabinet
this size I would recommend active humidification. I went with an Aristocrat set and forget system and haven't regretted the purchase one bit. My smokes are in the
best condition they've ever been in including the time I had a Vinotemp with 2lbs of beads. Also I wouldn't worry about beads to lower the humidity unless you see that
it is being a problem. Below is a pic of my cabinet. It is much fuller than this now :thumbsup: