What's new

New Humidor Suggestion

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So currently I'm running this :
https://www.1stclasshumidors.com/cigar-humidors/large-humidors/the-windsor-300-count-burl-cigar-humidor.html

Shockingly I dont have enough space and want another. I'd like to hear what you've used in the past (or are using) that worked well and sealed good. Shoot if you have an old one or two laying around that you dont use because you upgraded PM me and we'll talk. Capacity should be a true 100+ for a variety of RG sizes (although i rarely go past toro)

No suggestions please for tupperdors, coolerdors, wineadors or the like. I'm going the humidor route as that's my preference (i have tupperdors now and I just prefer the look / feel of humidors).

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That seems like it would be difficult to manage. Each piece would need to be reseasoned separately but it connects directly so I imagine there would be difficulty creating a stable environment if you were adding and subtracting sections all the time.

I would look at a custom built humidor. You can chose materials and guarantee good construction. I’ve heard Daniel Marshall recommended and understand they also have solid construction.

Avoid anything by Quality Importers. Shoddy construction, mdf with Spanish cedar veneer.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That seems like it would be difficult to manage. Each piece would need to be reseasoned separately but it connects directly so I imagine there would be difficulty creating a stable environment if you were adding and subtracting sections all the time.

I would look at a custom built humidor. You can chose materials and guarantee good construction. I’ve heard Daniel Marshall recommended and understand they also have solid construction.

Avoid anything by Quality Importers. Shoddy construction, mdf with Spanish cedar veneer.
Yep QI is definitely on my no no list :) I've thought about custom - but that comes with a price. Just need to determine if I'm willing to spend the money :) whereas for far cheaper I can choose to possibly fight to keep a cheaper solution properly humidified (at least I know what I'm getting into).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel Marshall has some good deals on the cash for clunkers page. Or you can email them for a list "seconds", I've purchased a few. I will tell you also that if you keep an eye on Ebay you can buy the DM Treasure Chest as a second for $350-$500. I bought one for $465 and one for $370. Patience waiting for them. Or DM also sells through Amazon and you can get free shipping and discount of you use an apply for an Amazon card.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Daniel Marshall has some good deals on the cash for clunkers page. Or you can email them for a list "seconds", I've purchased a few. I will tell you also that if you keep an eye on Ebay you can buy the DM Treasure Chest as a second for $350-$500. I bought one for $465 and one for $370. Patience waiting for them. Or DM also sells through Amazon and you can get free shipping and discount of you use an apply for an Amazon card.
Good info thanks! The biggest problem with the DM stuff after looking through it is the capacity. Most of them are 100ish while that usually translates into more like 70-75 at best (and sometimes even less). I'll keep my eyes out some of the 150ish capacity ones are nice!

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
It may be worth your while to seek out a woodworker on etsy who makes these things. Theres one near me who makes beautiful cabinets and oversized humidors.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Not cheap.

image.jpeg

Michael Dixon Humidor, yes he has a Web-Site, made in the USA by one man who is doing his best work everyday.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
You have three options:
1. Go with a cheap, Chinese humidor that’s made from paper-thin Spanish cedar veneer over MDF that doesn’t work
2. Go the *dor route, which does work
3. Pay lots of money for a quality humidor that does work.

Those are your basic options.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info thanks! The biggest problem with the DM stuff after looking through it is the capacity. Most of them are 100ish while that usually translates into more like 70-75 at best (and sometimes even less). I'll keep my eyes out some of the 150ish capacity ones are nice!
I hear you about the quantity count. I will tell you my only complaint with the treasure chest is the box built on for the humidification device is not able to be easily removed. It's to bulky. Interestingly the two treasure chests that I have is that they are significantly different from each other in overall size.

I also forgot to mention I bought a large desktop from Atlantic Cigars...I think it was called Wall Street Elite or something. It was $200 rated at a 160 count. Solid build quality. I have only had it for about 1 month so the verdict is still out on how well it holds a seal. So far my initial impressions have been favorable.

Love the smell of opening a nice cedar humidor!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You have three options:
1. Go with a cheap, Chinese humidor that’s made from paper-thin Spanish cedar veneer over MDF that doesn’t work
2. Go the *dor route, which does work
3. Pay lots of money for a quality humidor that does work.

Those are your basic options.
I just don't get this though.. 1/4 or 1/8 Spanish cedar isn't "that" expensive. There's gotta be some companies making solid wood ones with decent seals for a reasonable price... :/

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I just don't get this though.. 1/4 or 1/8 Spanish cedar isn't "that" expensive. There's gotta be some companies making solid wood ones with decent seals for a reasonable price... :/
It comes down to paying for time and quality. Not just the time spent on the work itself but how long the craftsman has been making humidors successfully. That leads to quality work with quality materials.

...and, of course, supply and demand.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It comes down to paying for time and quality. Not just the time spent on the work itself but how long the craftsman has been making humidors successfully. That leads to quality work with quality materials.

...and, of course, supply and demand.
Oh, yeah, I TOTALLY get that, (wish more potential customers did....)
It just seems like there outta be some manufacturers providing something for the middle ground. The demand is there. I suspect the product is, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh, yeah, I TOTALLY get that, (wish more potential customers did....)
It just seems like there outta be some manufacturers providing something for the middle ground. The demand is there. I suspect the product is, but I'm having trouble finding it.
It takes a lot of work to build a box within a box that is mostly air tight during expansion and contraction without hardware.

The materials are not much in cost, especially if using veneers, it is the time that you are paying for.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A site that always make me laught is something called, something like "cheap humidors", they are right with that name. Should be called cheap junk humidors.

They alway come up near the top on a Google search, wonder how much a month they pay Google for that spot?