What's new

New humidor...what next?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not worried about seasoning it but the wife went to the local B&M and picked up one of their cheaper ($85) humidors. It looks nice but the seal doesn’t feel very tight and while I’m using a tuppidor now with good success, I feel bad not putting cigars in it.

What’s the move here?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I’m not worried about seasoning it but the wife went to the local B&M and picked up one of their cheaper ($85) humidors. It looks nice but the seal doesn’t feel very tight and while I’m using a tuppidor now with good success, I feel bad not putting cigars in it.

What’s the move here?
If you really don't want to mess with it, I'd say take it back. If that's not a viable option, then go ahead and season it... it may "tighten up" a little when it's at the proper RH. If it turns out that it holds RH, then why not use it. You can always keep the tupperware for overflow, or backup in case the new humidor fails.
Otherwise... I have 3 desktop humidors that make nice looking storage boxes. Got them at garage sales... one holds my cutters, lighters, sealed bovedas, etc.

Good luck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad returning it. The wife got it and a 150 gift card for my college graduation. The other thing, is the humidor matches all the custom cabinets in the house.

I may follow the advice and use it has storage only if I can get the RH to balance. I just started seasoning it this week so I’ll check it in another week or so and see where it sits.

Thanks guys

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You're still young, she'll eventually forgive you. Stories to tell in your old age. Put a small flashlight in it and see if there are any visible gaps. If there are I don't believe any amount of seasoning will give you a good seal. If the gaps are very, very small you have a decent chance.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I feel bad returning it. The wife got it and a 150 gift card for my college graduation. The other thing, is the humidor matches all the custom cabinets in the house.

I may follow the advice and use it has storage only if I can get the RH to balance. I just started seasoning it this week so I’ll check it in another week or so and see where it sits.

Thanks guys
Don't know your finances, but in the grand scheme $85 probably isn't going to alter the course of your financial future. If it matches everything and looks nice and she put some thought into it, I'd keep it.
It'll either hold RH or it won't. Give it a couple weeks, take it slow, season it right and you'll know (before moving in any cigars). If it does, then fantastic. If it doesn't, then it's easy to find another use, such as a dry box or storage for accessories.

Or another possible option: How big is it? If it doesn't hold RH, can you put a tuperware container (or multiple containers) inside? I have a larger desktop that I did that with for a while.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're still young, she'll eventually forgive you. Stories to tell in your old age. Put a small flashlight in it and see if there are any visible gaps. If there are I don't believe any amount of seasoning will give you a good seal. If the gaps are very, very small you have a decent chance.
Lol. I’m 41. I went back to finish my degree late in life just to advance my career further within my company. Next will be my PMP certification.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same age. Married to wife #2 for 15 years. Get some masking tape, bovedas and put some stogies in there. Thank her every time you smoke one. ;)
Same here except for going on 9 year (wife #2). She’s a good woman for sure, better than I deserve most days.

I’ve got a buddy who’s into woodworking. Maybe he can grove the lid and I can fit an o-ring into it.