What's new

New Jersey lawmakers push bill to stop drivers from smoking

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you live in NJ, it's time to start writing your elected officials. Its a travesty against Liberty and the imparted beliefs that are elected officials are there to insure said Liberties. Unreal.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1441267,001100020006.htm

Ashtrays have been disappearing in cars like fins on Cadillacs, and so could smoking while driving in New Jersey, under a measure introduced in the Legislature. Although the measure faces long odds, it still has smokers incensed and arguing it's a Big Brother intrusion that threatens to take away one of the few places they can enjoy their habit. "The day a politician wants to tell me I can't smoke in my car, that's the day he takes over my lease payments," said John Cito, a financial planner from Hackensack with a taste for US$20 (euro16.50) cigars.

Those cigars, pipes and cigarettes would become no-nos for drivers. Offenders would be stung with a fine of up to $250 (euro206), under the measure, whose sponsor said it's designed more to improve highway safety than protect health.

Some states, including New Jersey, have considered putting the brakes on smoking while children are in the car. But none have gone for an outright ban on smoking while driving, according to Washington, D.C.-based Action on Smoking and Health, the country's oldest anti-tobacco organization.

Smokers, feeling like easy targets, say enough already. They argue they've been forced outside office buildings, run off the grounds of public facilities, and asked to pony up more in per-pack excise taxes when states feel a budget squeeze.

"With smoking, it's becoming increasingly fashionable to target legislation or prohibitions," said George Koodray, a member of the Metropolitan Cigar Society, a 100-strong group that meets in Paterson for dinner and a smoke.

Assemblyman John McKeon, a tobacco opponent whose father died of emphysema, sponsored the legislation. He cites a AAA-sponsored study on driver distractions in which the automobile association found that of 32,000 accidents linked to distraction, 1 percent were related to smoking.

The measure, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Lorretta Weinberg, a fellow Democrat, was introduced last month just before lawmakers' summer break. It faces some improbable odds for passing. Some lawmakers may fear the bill is frivolous compared with more pressing issues like taxes, said political analyst David Rebovich.

And there's this to consider: Traffic safety groups acknowledge motorists now widely ignore the state's year-old law against using hand-held cell phones, so why would smoking be any different? Mitchell Sklar, of the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police, said police departments may balk at enforcing such a law. "In general, we'd rather not try to incrementally look at every single behavior and make those a violation," he said.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Outrageous!!! I like the "take over my lease payment" idea. Hehe

I do agree with no smoking while children are in the car though, 100%

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Agreed'd that the lawmakers have more pressing things to worry about...like cleaning up the toxic landfills and industrial waste sites.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sorry Allan here in NJ our law makers and police don't see that as a problem. They are much more concerned with promoting traffic safety. This includes both driving and parking. With all the damn cars on the road today they feel it's their job to help protect drivers from one another and also try to keep the streets free of cars that take up valuable parking spaces!! :grin:

ehdg

Oh year btw this is a great law. I'm tired of idiot drivers in front of me throwin their damn butts out the window and also flicking their ashes also out the window. How bout you the damn ashtray ASSHOLE!! Its also disgusting when these slobs then empty their ashtrays right on the road at a red light. Hey MORON use your damn garbage can when you get home!! :closedmou Sorry all but this planet is for all of us and its about damn time we clean up after ourselves!! How'd you like it if I took a dump on your lawn and left it? Okay rant off but I'm fed up with so many people disrespecting our planet and one another.

ehdg

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Erich, agree with all of your second paragraph except that it's a great law. Go ahead and fine people for flicking cigs out their windows or for dumping their ashtrays. I'm all for it. But the legislature has no business telling people if they can smoke in their cars or not. Heck, I'm all for people not smoking in their cars with their children in the car, but I'm still not sure I could agree with a law against it.

Gotta love how they are trying to justify this piece of crap law with "1% of accidents are smoking related." 1%??? It's just another step towards the communist state NJ wishes it was.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I wonder what the percentage of accidents that occur because of obnoxious kids is...no more kids in the car!, or changing the radio station...no more radios in the car!, or adjusting the A/C...no more climate control!, or talking with a passenger...no more passengers!.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My favorite pastime in the car lately is scrolling through my playlists on my ipod....talk about distractions...

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
wasch_24 said:
I wonder what the percentage of accidents that occur because of obnoxious kids is...no more kids in the car!, or changing the radio station...no more radios in the car!, or adjusting the A/C...no more climate control!, or talking with a passenger...no more passengers!.
Hey Todd,

What about nagging, back seat driving, non stop talking wives!!! :halfgrinw

ehdg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ehdg said:
Oh year btw this is a great law. I'm tired of idiot drivers in front of me throwin their damn butts out the window and also flicking their ashes also out the window. How bout you the damn ashtray ASSHOLE!! Its also disgusting when these slobs then empty their ashtrays right on the road at a red light. Hey MORON use your damn garbage can when you get home!! :closedmou Sorry all but this planet is for all of us and its about damn time we clean up after ourselves!! How'd you like it if I took a dump on your lawn and left it? Okay rant off but I'm fed up with so many people disrespecting our planet and one another.

ehdg

Wow. Talk about veering off topic. How about they make a law against littering.....oops. I believe they already have one. Damn.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
ehdg said:
How'd you like it if I took a dump on your lawn and left it?

ehdg
Hey Erich, come on over...My yard needs fertilized. I need you to do the front yard because the back yard is taken care of via the dogs.

:headroll:

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The Prince said:
Wow. Talk about veering off topic. How about they make a law against littering.....oops. I believe they already have one. Damn.
Sorry but when is the last time you saw someone get a ticket for LITTERING? Or how bout the new laws that require folks to use only handsfree phones while driving, you notice how many RETARDS also ignore that law and get away with it? I'm sick and tired of it, if these damn legistlatorers are going to make laws then make the damn Police enforce them or stop making these Laws!! :angryteet

ehdg

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
cvm4 said:
Hey Erich, come on over...My yard needs fertilized. I need you to do the front yard because the back yard is taken care of via the dogs.

:headroll:
Cliff,

That would cost you some cigars!! :headroll:

ehdg

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Another point I forgot to mention think about all the problems they have with this out on the left coast. With all the droughts they have out there how many times have we heard of fires started by some insensitive bozo throwing his lite cigerette out the window that started a brush fire they rapidly spread!! It's stupid things like this that cause so many damn problems when all it would have taken was to use your damn ashtray. Also how many folks do you see driving around with their hand out the window holding a cigerette. Hey if you don't like the darn smell why are you smoking in the first place? :argh: Then we have to take it in through our AC system. I love a good cigar but sorry I sure don't enjoy cigerette's at all.

ehdg

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Erich, agree with all of your second paragraph except that it's a great law. Go ahead and fine people for flicking cigs out their windows or for dumping their ashtrays. I'm all for it. But the legislature has no business telling people if they can smoke in their cars or not.
Here, here. So, let's look at a couple more big ones:

1) Women, no more putting on make-up (that's got to be one of the biggest)

2) No drinking coffee (Starbucks would never allow that one to pass)

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
They can all kiss my ***, if I want to smoke, eat,get a BJ or anything else in my own damn car I will:angerFU:

Ticket the litterers...:thumbsup:
Ticket the drivers that are driving recklessly:thumbsup:

But leave everyone the F*$^ alone:angerFU:

Ironman

Just my opinion

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ironman said:
They can all kiss my ***, if I want to smoke, eat,get a BJ or anything else in my own damn car I will:angerFU:

Ticket the litterers...:thumbsup:
Ticket the drivers that are driving recklessly:thumbsup:

But leave everyone the F*$^ alone:angerFU:

Ironman

Just my opinion

I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have more about this up on my site last week. I am hoping this wont pass, but if it does they are going to enforce it just like the cell phone law, where if you get stopped for speeding or something and they also catch you doing it then you can be fined for it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
joshua said:
I have more about this up on my site last week. I am hoping this wont pass, but if it does they are going to enforce it just like the cell phone law, where if you get stopped for speeding or something and they also catch you doing it then you can be fined for it.
Yeah, but that just gets their foot in the door. Years later, they can warp the law to instruct police to pull you over only for that offense. Atleast that is what happened to the seat-belt laws here. Of course, it should be like that for seatbelts.