What's new

New Laptop

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Purchased a new Dell and was wondering on what the general concensus was about battery usage?

Is it harmful to keep it plugged in constantly while using it on my desk or is it better to let the battery go down and then recharge it...and repeat that process over and over?

What say ye?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
We use Dells at work here. When we're in the office, they're plugged in constantly and I haven't noticed any problems with battery life. I have heard that it's a good idea to run the battery down every now and then, but I'm not sure if it applies to this battery type.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I didn't buy the thing for constant mobility since wireless is not available in my area so I am just gonna keep it plugged in.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Your laptop should have a lithium battery which greatly reduces the memory effect.

I would charge it all the way with the Laptop off and then just use it however you see fit. If you are able to, plug it in. I plug mine in when ever I can and I still get almost 120 minutes out of my battery. It's even a hand-me-down from work.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Posted the question on the Dell forum. I'll let ya know what they are claiming for the best battery treatment.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Oh boy, now we'll never see Dave anymore...another forum, sheesh! :hysterica
I'm just there to find answers and then my ass is outta there! :grin:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I can't link ya...I swore to the secret computer geek handshake when joining.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
"Squeeze_My_Chip" said to bite him Todd.

I'm not gettin in the middle of this one.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My Thinkpad is almost always plugged in, but when it was new IBM recommended that the battery be conditioned. This meant running it completely empty and charging it back up to a full charge several times.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted the question on the Dell forum. I'll let ya know what they are claiming for the best battery treatment.
hey what happened ? u never replied back about what Dell is claiming for the best battery treatment...??????