What's new

New member!

DeArman_93

Joshua 1:9
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My names Josh, 24 y/o, and I discovered cigars shortly after a mountain bike accident in 2015 that left me with a really severe Traumatic Brain Injury and a lot of broken bones (neck, back, jaw, collarbone, etc.) and a mini-stroke while in coma. I had to be retaught how to walk again and use my legs, all of my basic motor skills, etc. I was always a really high energy, super active guy, but ever since my brain injury I've dealt with extreme fatigue, anxiety, over-stimulation when in crowds, and recall memory. A year and half post accident I finally had to make the hard decision to give up the one thing I loved out of responsibility to make sure I didn't hit my head again and gave up cycling. I found cigars to be relaxing and calming, sort of like meditation for me. My parents and I (we all started smoking at the same time) usually smoke 4-5 nights a week on our back porch and it's even brought us closer together as well. Really excited to meet you guys and be a part of this!

Dad and I in Angel Fire, NM years ago

The wreck, May 31, 2015

Year after the wreck, family cruise

My mom and I

Rocky at my old B&M

Gurkha rolling event at my local B&M

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Welcome brother! It's always good to see a new face around. That's a crazy back story but I'm glad things worked out. I know for me cigars always bring people together.

DeArman_93

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome brother! It's always good to see a new face around. That's a crazy back story but I'm glad things worked out. I know for me cigars always bring people together.
Thank you!
Sorry you had to give up cycling, man. That's something I don't know if I could ever do. But now you found the greatest group of dudes around, so it ain't all bad. Welcome from Denver!
It's all good man, it's something that just had to be done if I didn't want to risk being in either a vegetated state the rest of my life or dead worse case scenario from another blow to the head, something highly favorable in cycling. I've cycled my entire life; BMX, any kind of mountain biking (single track, downhill, etc.), road biking, I did them all. It was a hard decision to make, been around bikes my entire life, worked at a bike shop at the time of accident (the owner was with us at the time), and all of the friends I had made were either on the road or the trail, but it's all good, I'm alive and made a miraculous recovery and still have my health, on to different things.
Welcome from Ohio. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. That's a lot to deal with. Hope you find information here about this great hobby.
I love sharing my story in hopes that someone who is experiencing a TBI themselves can see and know that they're not alone with this "invisible injury". I've loved this hobby and all of the people I've met so far!

DeArman_93

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from CT!
Thank you!
Glad you're doing ok bro and welcome from IL :cigar:
It's been a roller coaster but wouldn't change a thing, thank you!
Welcome my friend. You seem to have embraced the cigar culture based on the pictures of you at some cigar events. Having family members to enjoy a cigar with is great. I hope to see you active on this forum.
I love the cigar culture! I was always into fast pace hobbies/things, but the TBI slowed my energy down a bunch so I've really grown to love cigars as it really aids in relaxing me and slowing down my brain, it's turned into my meditation in a way.
Welcome from South MS!
Thank you!
Sorry to hear about the bad times, but happy to see you're making positives out of potential negatives.

Welcome from NJ!
Thank you! I still have a lot of life left in me, and I spent a lot of that summer pissed off, especially when I was a few months into my hospitilization and still hadn't learned how to walk again no matter how hard I tried, just felt like giving up sometimes....if I'm pissed off like I was then the rest of my life it's going to be a crummy life for me lol I want to use what I experienced as a positive to help others going through Traumatic Brain Injury's :cigar::cigar: