What's new

New muzzleloading hunting rifle

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figured it was time to build myself a new muzzleloading hunting rifle. I started last year and just finished her up.

Christians Springs Sytle Rifle circa 1750-1760
.50 caliber, 38" D weight swamped Green Mt. Barrel.
Davis Lock
Davis Set triggers
Stock, Maple from a blank

Here she is right with just the barrel set in.

About 80% complete

All done

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
oh man I can't wait to get home and see the pictures. I've shot a couple back in the day and they are pretty cool, but

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great job! Did you get a chance to go to Dixon's this year? I have a fusil that has been sitting around for years. I'll get a chance hopefully soon to finish her! CONGRATS!:ccowboy:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

San Cristobal, I never built a muzzleloading pistol in my life, sounds strange but I don't really know too much about them. It does sound like a cool idea.

tazbigdog, I was at the gun makers fair this year, its a yearly pilgrimage! The bad thing is its hard on my wallet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible... I have an old Jaeger that looks very similar. It even has a couple notches, but who knows whom or what they were for.

Did you brown the barrel? It's hard to tell in the pics.

Did you keep time? I know inletting the lock must have chewed up a few hours.

What kind of oil finish did you use?

Have you sparked a round? I generally tape up the breech area with purple masking tape when I shoot. It saves the wood and makes cleaning easier.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
DeeDuyba, thanks!

The barrel is browned, used LMF cold brown great stuff to work with

It took me a year to whittle her out of the blank. Seems like I long time, but some weeks there was no time to work on her.

I used Jim Chambers oil finish, the first thing I did was give the stock a coat of amber shellac heavily cut. Then stained with LMF lancaster maple, and followed by four coats of the Chambers finish.

Have not took here to the range yet, it seems I can't find catch a break between work and the weather.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tazbigdog, I was at the gun makers fair this year, its a yearly pilgrimage! The bad thing is its hard on my wallet.
Yeah this was probably the first year I missed for the last 10 years. Had met alot of friends there that would travel here and would sometimes speak. Great selection of toys and lots to drool over. Always end up buying stuff there.:ccowboy::cbig:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Fantastic work! That is really beautiful.

It reminds me of when I used to play pool, and had invested cash in custom, hand made pool cues...Same type of detail and accuracy.

Thanks for sharing!