What's new

New Oliva Cigar

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Well sort of. Seems like it may just be an Oliva V with a blend tweak and a different wrapper, but still if you like the V then these could be interesting...

Oliva Serie V Melanio will debut in August, at the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers trade show, and should reach cigar stores by September. The cigars are named after Melanio Oliva, who is believed to be the first in the Oliva family to grow tobacco. Melanio Oliva grew tobacco in the 1800s on a small farm in San Juan y Martinez, Cuba, some of the best tobacco lands in the world.

The new cigars are made entirely of Nicaraguan filler and binder tobaccos grown by the Olivas, and they are wrapped in Sumatra-seed wrappers grown by Oliva in Ecuador. This is the first cigar Oliva has made using these particular wrappers, and the first Ecuador Sumatra seed cigar from the company other than the Oliva Master Blends 2.

The original Oliva Serie V came out in 2007. “It was the best that we could make, and ever since then we thought of a follow-up,” said Oliva president Jose Oliva, during a long interview spent smoking the new cigars in Cigar Aficionado’s New York City offices. “It had to be as unique as V was.”

Oliva said that several cigars intended as a follow-up to the Serie V were made into other smokes, such as Cain, which ended up too powerful and too unlike the original Serie V to work.

The final blend came from combining Ecuadoran Sumatra seed wrapper with a Nicaraguan blend that emphasized tobacco from the Jalapa region, the area of Nicaragua known for more nuanced leaf than Estelí and Condega. As with the original Serie V line, these are well-aged tobaccos. “The fillers that we use for [Serie V] are our most-aged fillers,” said Oliva. “This used a little more Jalapa. Jalapa adds flavor, but it doesn’t have a lot of body.”

The new cigar brand will come in five sizes: Robusto, Churchll, Torpedo, Petit Corona and Figurado, a smoke Oliva described as a “double-ended torpedo, straight in the center.”

The cigars will retail for $8 to $14 per cigar, making them the most expensive in the Oliva portfolio.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/16571

I'm interested to see a PC, though the price point is a little high for something on a day to day basis.

Dan

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am definitely interested in this release. Serie V is one of my go to favorites, though this should be quite a bit different obviously. Very exciting news from Oliva.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Nice to see them tweak the V Blend. My cigar journey started with their G and O blends, and love their Vs, can't wait to try these.

I wonder if the Sumatra wrapper will be a little 'sweeter' than the sun grown Habano.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The "V" is the cigar that made me fall in love with cigars. I'm stoked for this release!

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice to see them tweak the V Blend. My cigar journey started with their G and O blends, and love their Vs, can't wait to try these.

I wonder if the Sumatra wrapper will be a little 'sweeter' than the sun grown Habano.
I would expect the Sumatra to definitely be sweeter, what I describe as a floral sweetness but still have a small amount of spice as well. Typically what I get from Sumatra wrappers.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I love serie V and am excited to try a new blend. I also started with the G and O when I began smoking and then found the V.

I'm with Dan on the PC size being exciting, but a bit on the high size for an everyday smoke. Still need to get my hands on a V maduro and the #4.

Thanks for posting this.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, I love serie V and am excited to try a new blend. I also started with the G and O when I began smoking and then found the V.

I'm with Dan on the PC size being exciting, but a bit on the high size for an everyday smoke. Still need to get my hands on a V maduro and the #4.

Thanks for posting this.
We actually still have a few boxes of Serie V maduro 2011 left at Cigar King. Just a heads up.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm smoking the Melanio #4 right now. It's great, rott, very smooth and I'm getting a lot of different nuances in the smoke. It looks like a box-pressed petit robo/corona mix. Really great looking cigar and a perfect size for the colder weather upcoming. I think I need another box :)

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just picked up 2 torpedo's from my local B&M. If i can maintain willpower, i'm gonna stash them in the humidor for a few weeks rest. At $13 a stick they better be darn good :grin:

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just picked up 2 torpedo's from my local B&M. If i can maintain willpower, i'm gonna stash them in the humidor for a few weeks rest. At $13 a stick they better be darn good :grin:
These are pricey, but I think they are worthy of the coin. They are about the same as Padron Anniversaries. The #4 is 8 bucks and about the size of a Principe. These are also very firm and uniform in construction very similar to the Padrons. My initial impression of the Melanio is that it's an improved version of the regular V, much like the comparison between the anni Padrons and the regular 1000 line.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
These are pricey, but I think they are worthy of the coin. They are about the same as Padron Anniversaries. The #4 is 8 bucks and about the size of a Principe. These are also very firm and uniform in construction very similar to the Padrons. My initial impression of the Melanio is that it's an improved version of the regular V, much like the comparison between the anni Padrons and the regular 1000 line.
Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to smoke mine.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well, so much for willpower :grin:. Was at my local B&M today and everyone was touting how good they were. So, I broke down and bought a Petite Corona size (4 1/2 x 46) to get a test flight. Wow, these things are great. They remind me a lot of the Tatuaje Capa Especial. I din't think they taste much like the normal V.

My local B&M only got a few boxes of each size and the Robosto's were already gone. Hope these start hitting the shelves in quantity. I will be buying a box or 2.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Well, so much for willpower :grin:. Was at my local B&M today and everyone was touting how good they were. So, I broke down and bought a Petite Corona size (4 1/2 x 46) to get a test flight. Wow, these things are great. They remind me a lot of the Tatuaje Capa Especial. I din't think they taste much like the normal V.

My local B&M only got a few boxes of each size and the Robosto's were already gone. Hope these start hitting the shelves in quantity. I will be buying a box or 2.
The Melanio is a limited production cigar, they are limiting production monthly so they will be around, just not in mass quantities.