What's new

New Smokes

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What’s the skinny on the monte 1935. Have I just missed this offering.

I really like the monte espada oscuro and the old
Monte afrique. The others aren’t quite what I’m looking for. The espada oscuro in my opinion is a must try. I haven’t gotten the monte Nicaragua yet but at some point I’ll try one.

I see the rest of your stash so I’m curious about those ones

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Monte afrique. The others aren’t quite what I’m looking for. The espada oscuro in my opinion is a must try. I haven’t gotten the monte Nicaragua yet but at some point I’ll try one.

I read about the Monte 1935 Anniversary Nicaragua #2 in October, and decided I needed to buy a box of 10. I had a couple and they are delicious. CA ranked it #2 of 2021. Then I decided I wanted to try a different size too, so bought the Demi’s. I definitely recommend trying them out.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Unfortunately they were pretty dry when they arrived, due I’m sure to the cold weather. Normally I let new shipments sit in a separate box to bring humidity down before adding them to my collection. These, though, I’m keeping in a separate box to bring humidity UP before adding. I’ve gotten many sticks from Famous and never had this happen. Hopefully they didn’t lose too much oil.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I am not a fan of most non Cuban Montecristos. However, the 1935 is very good. I will be buying more soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am not a fan of most non Cuban Montecristos. However, the 1935 is very good. I will be buying more soon.

With great respect to those who may disagree, I’m with you. Most non-Habano Montes I have not liked. In college, a friend and I used to occasionally buy some Montecristo white labels, but quickly moved out of that phase. With this 1935 Anniversary, though, Montecristo really did something special. Worth buying a box of 10, in my humble opinion, if not more. I bought 10 of the #2 in October, and have only had a couple. Excellent smoke, but I want to get some age on them. I bought 15 of the Demi vitola too, and we’ll see if they’re as good as the #2. In all, the 1935 Anniversary #2 was one of my biggest surprises of 2021.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
With great respect to those who may disagree, I’m with you. Most non-Habano Montes I have not liked. In college, a friend and I used to occasionally buy some Montecristo white labels, but quickly moved out of that phase. With this 1935 Anniversary, though, Montecristo really did something special. Worth buying a box of 10, in my humble opinion, if not more. I bought 10 of the #2 in October, and have only had a couple. Excellent smoke, but I want to get some age on them. I bought 15 of the Demi vitola too, and we’ll see if they’re as good as the #2. In all, the 1935 Anniversary #2 was one of my biggest surprises of 2021.
Yeah. I had the Churchill I think. It was a big boy. I think I got it in the smoke inn cigar of the month club. I was expecting an average cigar and knew as soon as I lit it that it wasn’t your average montecristo. They struck gold with this one.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah. I had the Churchill I think. It was a big boy. I think I got it in the smoke inn cigar of the month club. I was expecting an average cigar and knew as soon as I lit it that it wasn’t your average montecristo. They struck gold with this one.

Interesting....I'm gonna have to give that 1935 a try!

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Much agreed. I do hope they continue producing it regularly, or else I may have to get greedy and buy a couple more boxes of #2. Funny... I almost used your exact wording, they struck gold with this one. At least, that is, in the particular box I got in October.
Cheers!

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Update: I tried one of the Monte 1935 Demi’s this morning. Disclaimer time: It’s about 25 degrees here in Funkytown, (Fort Worth). Usually that doesn’t prohibit my enjoyment, but it might’ve done so today. Also, maybe my coffee was too strong. Usually I pair with a milder cup. Finally, maybe I was expecting too much, since the 1935 #2 was so good.
This is by no means a professional review, as I would be terrible writing those. I don't trust my abilities to to call out flavors and variations. For a quick, rustic review, here goes:
As the cigar started, it kinda just tasted acrid, a little smoky on the finish, with mainly just coffee notes. I was underwhelmed with the flavor, and almost began kicking myself for buying fifteen of these. There are, after all, better $9 cigars out there. As it opened up, though, the flavors I found enjoyable in the #2 started to show up. A little cocoa, some very slight citrus maybe, continued coffee notes, and I found some anise or licorice in there. It definitely got far better after first light, but the enjoyment didn’t last for very long. After about twenty minutes, I wasn’t getting what I’d hoped for, and didn’t find it worth the cold. So, consider this an unprofessional, and grossly unfinished review. I’ll hit it again sometime when it’s not so cold and windy. Having said all that, the burn and construction were absolutely perfect. No problems there, even with a little bit of annoying wind.
Pros: Great construction, excellent burn, and some nice flavors after it opened up for a few minutes. I will try this again when it's not so cold, and when I have a little bit more time.
Cons: A bit acrid, and the flavors were not well-pronounced. Definitely a shadow of the #2, which was a far better smoke.

Final Thoughts: I was hoping this would be a nice, quick smoke. I didn't expect the same enjoyment I got from #2, but thought that some of those flavors would be stronger, and hoping for a pleasant 40-45 minute smoke. Didn't get that, and I won't buy more of these. I wish I had bought ten, and not fifteen, but I will wait until another day when it's not as cold, and see what a second glance might bring.

Final Thought 2: About an hour after finishing, I have no bitter remnants of the acrid flavor I found in the background. Really, I'm left with just a nice coffee flavor, and a little anise. I was expecting a little bit of ashtray mouth, but pleasantly surprised not to taste that.

My humble opinion is excellent if taken with multiple grains of salt, or maybe better thrown out to see what you find yourself. Having said that, the Montecristo 1935 #2 was a great smoke when I had it a month ago, and also a few weeks before that. This Demi vitola didn't carry that same greatness. Maybe if it sits in my box a little longer, it will rest and some of the pleasant flavors will show more. We shall see... In the meantime, I intend to try one of the Aging Room Quattro Nica Impromptus later today.
Cheers!

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just finished one of the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Impromptus. Fantastic smoke, just like it’s Maestro cousin. Great construction, great burn, excellent flavor and absolutely no bitterness. More than made up for the disappointment I had earlier today.254A4BAE-3828-48F2-BD3C-6C99C7324E25.jpegC710AB6C-020D-483B-8384-FBF33E94751D.jpeg

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Update: I tried one of the Monte 1935 Demi’s this morning. Disclaimer time: It’s about 25 degrees here in Funkytown, (Fort Worth). Usually that doesn’t prohibit my enjoyment, but it might’ve done so today. Also, maybe my coffee was too strong. Usually I pair with a milder cup. Finally, maybe I was expecting too much, since the 1935 #2 was so good.
This is by no means a professional review, as I would be terrible writing those. I don't trust my abilities to to call out flavors and variations. For a quick, rustic review, here goes:
As the cigar started, it kinda just tasted acrid, a little smoky on the finish, with mainly just coffee notes. I was underwhelmed with the flavor, and almost began kicking myself for buying fifteen of these. There are, after all, better $9 cigars out there. As it opened up, though, the flavors I found enjoyable in the #2 started to show up. A little cocoa, some very slight citrus maybe, continued coffee notes, and I found some anise or licorice in there. It definitely got far better after first light, but the enjoyment didn’t last for very long. After about twenty minutes, I wasn’t getting what I’d hoped for, and didn’t find it worth the cold. So, consider this an unprofessional, and grossly unfinished review. I’ll hit it again sometime when it’s not so cold and windy. Having said all that, the burn and construction were absolutely perfect. No problems there, even with a little bit of annoying wind.
Pros: Great construction, excellent burn, and some nice flavors after it opened up for a few minutes. I will try this again when it's not so cold, and when I have a little bit more time.
Cons: A bit acrid, and the flavors were not well-pronounced. Definitely a shadow of the #2, which was a far better smoke.

Final Thoughts: I was hoping this would be a nice, quick smoke. I didn't expect the same enjoyment I got from #2, but thought that some of those flavors would be stronger, and hoping for a pleasant 40-45 minute smoke. Didn't get that, and I won't buy more of these. I wish I had bought ten, and not fifteen, but I will wait until another day when it's not as cold, and see what a second glance might bring.

Final Thought 2: About an hour after finishing, I have no bitter remnants of the acrid flavor I found in the background. Really, I'm left with just a nice coffee flavor, and a little anise. I was expecting a little bit of ashtray mouth, but pleasantly surprised not to taste that.

My humble opinion is excellent if taken with multiple grains of salt, or maybe better thrown out to see what you find yourself. Having said that, the Montecristo 1935 #2 was a great smoke when I had it a month ago, and also a few weeks before that. This Demi vitola didn't carry that same greatness. Maybe if it sits in my box a little longer, it will rest and some of the pleasant flavors will show more. We shall see... In the meantime, I intend to try one of the Aging Room Quattro Nica Impromptus later today.
Cheers!
You know I bought a box of the monte espada oscuro “guard” which is a toro.
Smoked the first after a month maybe. Total dud. Several months later I tried another. Then another. The last two were great. I’m no aficionado by far. But I think the longer they sat the more some complexity crept into those. I paid pretty good money for them. Pretty glad I have them now.
Sit on them a few more months and try again. Turned the smokes I didn’t like that well into a smoke I don’t really want to run out of.

I don’t fully grasp how a few months made the difference but it was a night and day different smoke. To the point I recommend them

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I almost believe even non Cuban cigars go through a bit of a sick period after transport.

that’s my uneducated opinion. Lol. See if they brighten up in a bit

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I almost believe even non Cuban cigars go through a bit of a sick period after transport.

that’s my uneducated opinion. Lol. See if they brighten up in a bit
That’s the conclusion I came to. They’re thinner smokes than the #2, maybe there’s something to the wrapper:filler ratio that just needs time to settle.