What's new

New to BOTL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I joined yesterday and thought that I would take a moment to introduce meself. My name is Adam and I’m a user experience designer in New York City. I’ve also been smoking cigars for almost 22 years.

This community, the family of cigar smokers, is unlike any other. I love that I can walk into a lounge, here in the city, or in London or Miami; I guess anywhere really, and know that everyone is approachable. It’s the only community where all biases are left at the door. It doesn’t matter who you are. What your background is. How much money you have. We are linked by our love of the cigar.

I always like to think that when I am purchasing a cigar I am really purchasing an experience. A unique experience that can never be replicated. So I’m going to ask a question to everyone.

I remember reading somewhere that there are two things every man or woman remembers. Their first love and their first cigar.

**So what was your first cigar? How old were you? Where were you? And anything else you’d like to share.**

As for me. I was 17. Living in New Jersey. I don’t recall if I was with anyone else. Or why I was drawn to cigars let alone the one I purchased. But I can say it was a cigar I should never have messed with as a newbie. My first cigar was a 1996/97 LFD DL Robusto. I smoked it to the nub. And to this day... LFD is still my favorite brand.

But I’m curious about my question above. I’d love to hear your responses.

A

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Welcome brother. Very well written.
My first cigar was in 2001 with my boss at work, we celebrated his last day with company. I don’t remember the name, but it was a bundled cigar. We sat outside smoking and talking. A week later a mutual friend offered me a job with a new company, so I took it. Low and behold my previous boss and 5 techs all went to work at a new startup. No one could talk about it as we all had non compete clauses. Been smoking ever since

cigarMVP

More Vegueros (or Gurkhas) Please
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great introduction, that was a fun read. Welcome to BOTL from Sweden! I am too rather new to the forum but can tell you that it's a great community with fun people and that you will fit right in just like any lounge in the world :)

As for my first cigar it was a Cohiba Esplendidos. My brother bought it for me and we smoked it together. I was instantly hooked right in and he even bought me a humi so that I could start having my own collection. I've been smoking ever since.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Welcome from NE Tennessee! I honestly can't even remember, maybe a fake Cohiba or NC punch... The first that got my attention and got me interested was a CAO Mx2.

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome to BOTL! My first cigarette was at 15 at the edge of the Amazon, I bought off a street vendor in mangled Portuguese, and the pack had a massive picture of a dead fetus on it, which I thought was funny. I smoked it out of the hotel bathroom window, which I shared with my friend's family, and they noticed the smell immediately but promised not to tell my parents. I snuck the pack home and was better at masking the rest of the scent the next time I smoked out of my bathroom window, but actually hated the cigarette so I gave the rest of the pack to my sister, 17 years older and a long-time smoker. I decided that was a bad decision the next day and asked for them back, but she had already smoked them. Soon after, my friend started buying me packs of 20 Havana Honeys (mint flavored) and I fell in love, started smoking them all of the time. The first real cigar I had was probably a Dominican Romeo y Julieta or Cohiba that his older brother bought him.... also had a couple of Gurkhas and Acids and the like. None of it did much for me until about 12 years later when my Cuban friends started bringing me back Partagas Serie D #4 and Cohibas, then introduced me to Caldwell. But the funny thing was that they had brought back some farm-rolled Cubans as well and they were better by far!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome from Vermont, my very first cigar I remember clearly because it was only 11 days ago. A Gispert Robusto. I enjoyed the experience so much that I am sure I will never give it up. My evening cigar is me time. Just relaxing and enjoying the cigar. The flavors, feel and smell of the cigar. Shut the world out and enjoy the cigar.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Welcome from South MS!

Wish I could remember what my first stick was.. I can only recall being around 16, on a boat with a friend, and we tried to share a jet black, oily churchill that a "serious" smoker gave me with a big smile and a laugh... I think we made it through about the first inch before we both got sick! Lol... It was prob about 3 yrs before I tried another after that. :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Welcome from north Jersey brother! Pretty sure the first stick I ever smoked was an Oliva G maduro back in college, which I absolutely loved. After that, I would smoke every so often but by no means a regular occurrence back then. A few years later that was no longer the case and I started smoking regularly and thoroughly enjoying the lifestyle, community and experiences encompassed in smoking cigars. Great post brother, hope you enjoy this community/brotherhood as much as the rest of us!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Welcome to the BOTL, Adam ! Can't remember first cigar. But Quorums and Caribbean Cigars' Rum Runners were in the starting lineup. Those days are gone, thankfully.
But they did fill the void as I had given up cigarettes at that time. Ex-Jersey guy here as well. Welcome aboard !