What's new

New to pipes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been into cigars casually for 8-9 months now, and really into them the last couple weeks and am building a nice collection, I figured why not try the pipe too. I went to the only tobacconist in town and asked her advice on what pipe to get and so on. I didn't want to start with something cheap since I figured if I spent a bit more, it'd be a nicer piece and if I dislike pipes I'll hand it off to my grandfather.

Anyways, I picked up a La Rocca Travanti. The odd thing about this pipe is I can't seem to find any information about it online, at all. I also picked up a sampler of tobacco that they had, and while I currently don't have any clue what kind it all is, I know I'm enjoying what's simply labeled "blackberry blend."

Unfortunately, though I was recommended this pipe by the woman at the shop, I wish I had read here beforehand. While the seal is perfectly tight, and it lines up perfectly, it can't pass a pipe cleaner. I am finding this to be an issue because I can't clean the pipe without taking it apart. Is there anything I can do about this or am I out of luck? I can't imagine taking it apart after every smoke is a good thing to do and would eventually loosen the seal?

Besides the pipe issue, I was hoping some of you all could point me in a direction of where to start with tobacco? What brands/types would you recommend for a beginner to help them figure out where to go from there? Any input is greatly appreciated.

--Jeff

Edit: Pics of the pipe:

Last edited:

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Looks nice! I have the same issue with a couple of pipes, but what I've discovered is if I turn the pipe cleaner as I'm working it into the stem, I can get it to pass. I certainly wouldn't want to take apart a pipe after every smoke, You definitely want to use the pipe cleaners too - I find myself using them mid-smoke too.

The Blackberry sounds like an aromatic (flavored blend) - smoke what your taste tells you to.

I've liked the Virginia/Perique blends (VaPers) and English blends (Latakia-rich blends). Two of my current favorites are McConnell Scottish Cake & Esorterica Penzance.

I just started down the pipe-path about 4 months ago & already have 5 pipes and easily a year's worth of blends - tins, jars & sample bags from trades.

Enjoy!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like Soundwave said try twisting the cleaner while its in the stem it may help, but there are some where you have to remove the stem everytime to get them clean. Speaking of removeing the stems, don't remove the stem if the pipe is still hot (unless it has a miltary style stem) as it will either loosen the fit of the stem or crack the briar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've been trying every which way to get a pipe cleaner through there and have just been waiting an hour or so to take it apart and clean it. Not too much of an inconvenience I guess, I just worried it will loosen over time. I guess all that matters is that I still love the look of the pipe and it smokes smoothly. I'll have to go out Friday (payday) and pick up some more tobacco and try different blends as well.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
You could possibly send the pipe off to a repair person (like Kirk Bosi or Tim West), but this might cost more than the pipe is worth. You could also try fixing it yourself by gently rounding off the airway in the stem and shank with a small round file.

Best bet is always check to see for yourself if a cleaner passes before you buy the pipe (or at least ask if buying online).

I'd recommend trying many tobacco blends to see what you like. Don't buy more than an ounce at a time as this will give you 5-10 bowls to evaluate. Personally, I'd stay away from the blends with fruits in the name, but to each their own. Try some Captain Black or some of the McClelland bulk blends. Cornell + Diehl also makes a huge variety,

Keep notes on your experiences, then check out the TobaccoReviews.com website. This is an excellent site for pipe tobacco. You can check to see what the blends are made from and read other reviews. If you see a reviewer with a similar opinion - check to see what other blends they really like (or dislike) to help you in your search.

Good luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I seem to have ironed out the problems, I did a tiny bit of file work and that, mixed with slightly bending the pipe cleaner get it through. Now enjoying this pipe much more. I did pick up a corncob pipe though on my way home just so I can do a proper 48 hour rotation.

Enjoying the new pipe finally: