What's new

New Vintage Coolidor

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been away for a while, and in that time I have outgrown my tuppador I built before.

I came across a old Coleman cooler for insanely cheap that was still in good condition the seal is rock solid and the lid/door locks down.

Here are the before pics:

Coolidor_old_1.jpgCoolidor_old_2.jpgCoolidor_old_3.jpg

Here is what it looks so far, I have completely cleaned, sanitized, polished and painted the exterior.

Coolidor_new_3.jpgCoolidor_new_1.jpgCoolidor_new_2.jpg

I still have to make or order the shelves, more heatfelt beads..but the rest of the boxes and cedar will come from my current tuppador.

I will update once I complete the next part.

Jeremy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome! I've been thinking about going the coolidor route and wanted to get one of those aluminum Coleman's. Just feel like regular coolers would be an eyesore. Super cool!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks!! Now trying to decide if I want to spring for the custom cedar shelves and drawers or do coated wire racks and just reuse old cigar boxes as trays (which is what I have done for my tuppador).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me temp should not be much of an issue, the temp inside the cooler will eventually equalize to the room temp (for me usually about 70-75) and the cooler will keep the temp more stable because it is insulated and will take much longer to heat up or cool down. If I have a case where the room temp is much higher or lower for some time I will move the coolidor to a location with the house that will help (closet, next to heater, ect). I also plan on building a battery operated fan with a timer...to run 30-60 min only a day. Saves battery power and should help regulate temp/RH throughout the who unit.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks really nice! I have a 150 qt igloo that I built but its pretty much a given that it has to stay in my basement because of looks. I'm thinking about building a cabinet for it but I'm starting to realize with all I am investing into a cooler, I could almost buy a Wineador. (Well not really, but if I keep telling myself that I might convince myself!!)

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Nice find...

LOVE the wood grain look on the door! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has been a week now filled and it is running at 67-68RH and temp of 68-74 deg (depending on room temp). I could not be happier. Well ok I could.....a light sanding and 2-3 more coats of paint. but I am a little ocd. That and maybe an undercrown logo on the side or front. :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!! Now trying to decide if I want to spring for the custom cedar shelves and drawers or do coated wire racks and just reuse old cigar boxes as trays (which is what I have done for my tuppador).
That's exactly what I have done with my wineador. Also got some of the spanish cedar leaves that cover the cigars inside the box from a local B&M. Works well and smells great.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have updated a little, added three drawers. And now thinking about doing a collage of cigar bands and ads to the front (now to get lots of bands and ads :help:).

Coolidor1.jpgCoolidor2.jpg

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Each Drawer holds about 50 or so sticks and can fit 8-10 full boxes in the bottom so in total maybe 300-400 sticks maybe more if I rearrange or use some of the dead space behind the drawers.