What's new

New Wine Cooler!

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Figuring that it has been too much of a hassle trying to maintain low temperature using a cooler, I decided to invest in a 28 bottle Vinotemp wine cooler.

I spent about an hour running the wiring for a small personal fan through the casing.

Still debating if I'll need a CI II plus rather than a pound or so of RH beads.

Here are some pics:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
LOOKS GOOD BRO! Start with the beads and a foam block, worked for me. Now the beads keep the humidity up with out the foam block. Save some money and not have to get a C.O.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
That size wine cooler is just like mine. You will still most likely need an active RH system like a Cigar Oasis and a pound of beads to help in a different area and will absorb extra RH should you need it. Congrats on stepping up Andrew.

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah, it's thermoelectric.

I bought a bag of crystal kitty litter. I'm going to set that up.

I'll keep you guys updated with how it works.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm glad for these threads! I'm getting ready to buy one of these in the next few weeks and I want to get it set up and going as soon as possible.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I still have been looking for the best improvement for the vinotemp, and I finally found it. I had a drop in RH and finally looked at other peoples setup, the one trick helped me very much.

there is on the bottom in the rear a little hole for the drip to run out the cooler. I made a little plug out of silicone, that I let cure outside the cooler because of the smell, I made a little tiny paper cone and filled it with the silicone. after it dried i just peeled the paper off and plugged the hole shut. my dish with the beads is at the very bottom of the cooler. i just made a little piece of flexible plastic, about 3"x8" long and taped it on the back of the cooler, right into the triangle shaped area for the drip water and placed the other end into my dish. so now, the water doesn't escape, but runs back into the dish with the beads.
you wouldn't believe how good that works. RH at 65, temp at 68, unchanged for 3 days now, I mean not even a bit

enjoy the coolder

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Very nice set up! Congrats

now save yourself some worry and hassle...put in a Cigar Oasis...you will need it to have peace of mind. Then put your temp and humidity sensors INSIDE a box so you can keep track of what's really happening with your smokes. One outside the boxes will fluctuate and drive you nuts.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I still have been looking for the best improvement for the vinotemp, and I finally found it. I had a drop in RH and finally looked at other peoples setup, the one trick helped me very much.

there is on the bottom in the rear a little hole for the drip to run out the cooler. I made a little plug out of silicone, that I let cure outside the cooler because of the smell, I made a little tiny paper cone and filled it with the silicone. after it dried i just peeled the paper off and plugged the hole shut. my dish with the beads is at the very bottom of the cooler. i just made a little piece of flexible plastic, about 3"x8" long and taped it on the back of the cooler, right into the triangle shaped area for the drip water and placed the other end into my dish. so now, the water doesn't escape, but runs back into the dish with the beads.
you wouldn't believe how good that works. RH at 65, temp at 68, unchanged for 3 days now, I mean not even a bit

enjoy the coolder

Three whole days or partial days? Seriously, I would be more concerned during the long haul like a year with the temp and RH varys with the changes in the seasons. I like the idea there of plugging up the hole and hope that works well for you. My temps and RH vary too much to not have both an active and passive RH set-up. I hope you have something to absorb extra RH if something goes wrong. If not, those cigars and cedar boxes will certainly do so.