What's new

NewAir or Edgestar?

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Alright guys, I'm on the fence here - Leaning towards the NewAir, but I could go either way. It's time to get a Coolidor though, so I need some opinions.

It's going to be one of these two models, so if anyone has one of these two, could they please toss in some feedback? Thanks

Edgestar: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/EdgeStar-28-bottle-Wine-Cooler-Refrigerator/3712177/product.html

NewAir: http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm

No matter which I get, I will be getting an ETC with it to control temp... So really it's about which unit would be most durable.

Anyone with experience want to chime in?

Thanks guys.
Jeremy

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
I have the edgestar. No info to add as its only been here for a little over two months. Only comment I will make it that it was too small. Damn thing if full already... :dunno:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I think all the popular wine coolers are about the same in quality and would bet that many of them use the same parts (fans, peltier, etc.) so I would assume that one would be no more durable than the other. That being said, I would lean towards the Edgestar just for the fact that the tray/drawer guys know the exact dimensions of the unit so would be able to make trays and drawers without extra work. I could be wrong and for all I know the NewAir has the same interior dimensions as another cooler (be it Edgestar, Vinotemp, etc.) so it may be just as easy.

Pick whichever one you think looks better because you have to look at it everyday.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Of course you already know I have the edgestar, but I agree with justin in that I would bet that most if not all share the same mechanicals.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I went with the NewAir. GolfNut (Forrest) knows the dimensions of the NewAir, and more than likely, the Edgestar as well. My NewAir shelves and drawers are in the works!

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have a NewAir. It seems to work good enough, however, I do have a drainage issue. I have had a real hard time getting the condensation to go back to the beads. IMO if you go with a NewAir you need to get a ETC as well. I recently got mine and I have a lot less headaches.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have neither but from the homework I did the NewAirs are poorly made and break down the quickest. Of course the reviews were by mostly people who were storing wine. Read the reviews online, there are plenty.

I just got this one..
http://www.appliancesconnection.com/i139112-haier-hvdw32abb.html
The biggest complaint I saw was that they wouldnt keep at 55 degrees. Not an issue for us though. Pretty much the only thing that can go wrong is the peltier, and I thought those were around $30 to replace. Since mine isn't up and running yet I guess I can't speak from experience, but I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I did have an issue when I received it, it was missing one of the feet on the bottom. I called up the place I got it from and they had one out to me the same day. I will be making a thread as soon at the beads, drawers and shelves get here so stay tuned.

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The biggest complaint I saw was that they wouldnt keep at 55 degrees. Not an issue for us though. Pretty much the only thing that can go wrong is the peltier, and I thought those were around $30 to replace. Since mine isn't up and running yet I guess I can't speak from experience, but I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I did have an issue when I received it, it was missing one of the feet on the bottom. I called up the place I got it from and they had one out to me the same day. I will be making a thread as soon at the beads, drawers and shelves get here so stay tuned.
That's funny, mine was missing one as well.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
I ended up finding an Edgestar at best price (It's local, so I can pick it up in person in a few days [the owner is out of town] and avoid paying shipping) In new condition - 28 bottle size - Has the wooden racks (I know they aren't spanish cedar, but they're thinner than the wire racks and don't have the valleys for wine bottles - I can't afford custom shelves at this time)

Edgestar it is.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I ended up finding an Edgestar at best price (It's local, so I can pick it up in person in a few days [the owner is out of town] and avoid paying shipping) In new condition - 28 bottle size - Has the wooden racks (I know they aren't spanish cedar, but they're thinner than the wire racks and don't have the valleys for wine bottles - I can't afford custom shelves at this time)

Edgestar it is.
Congrats on your new venture!

That's funny, mine was missing one as well.
Weird...