What's new

Newb Renovation question

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
any idear how to go about patching this up? Had a plumber replace my valve for shower/bath, so he had to cut into the drywall to get access as there was only an access panel to the shutoff water valves below (you can see where the old access panel was glued on. I am a total newb at DIY stuff lol.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I’m not a handyman myself but my guess would be to get a piece of sheetrock, cut it to size and fit it over the open area. Spackle, sand and repaint the area. Voila.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable would do something better and/or different .

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I'd run ferring strips on the studs and top of the new hole to secure new Sheetrock. Tape, texture, paint and put the old access panel where it was. Or just make a big access panel to cover the whole thing if you don't like doing mud work.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any idear how to go about patching this up? Had a plumber replace my valve for shower/bath, so he had to cut into the drywall to get access as there was only an access panel to the shutoff water valves below (you can see where the old access panel was glued on. I am a total newb at DIY stuff lol.

Ideally you'd cut back the exist drywall to leave half of the 2x4 showing either side of the hole.

Cut a piece of drywall to shape secure it to the 2x4s that are showing.

Drywall tape the seams. Spackle. Sand. Texture.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Home Depot carries 2x2 pieces of drywall for patches like this you'll have to cut to size, screw to studs, get drywall tape and mud....easy peasy, right?....I'm a contractor ,and whenever I run into something I haven't done in a while or don't know how to do, I check you tube or go on this old house for video tutorial....once you figure out what to do this is a really easy thing to fix

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ideally you'd cut back the exist drywall to leave half of the 2x4 showing either side of the hole.

x2, I've had to do this a couple of times and did exactly this method each time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I would locate the studs and carefully cut the sheetrock right between the stud and screw a wallboard section right into the studs.
Or you can also simply screw 2x2 ferring strips and frame it out. Like below.
You would still need to clean those edges where the wallboard was damaged.
Then screw in a sheet of wallboard.

Don't do this. The correct way is actually easier.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
That’s some funny looking lube you use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This made me LOL.

But on a serious note, everyone's pretty much spot on. Either get a new sheet, cut it to fit the hole, and then mud / spackle it in. Let it dry, sand, and repaint the wall. The furring strips (small pieces of wood) for additional support are a good idea as well.

The easier method is to just get a new sheet, cut it into a rectangle to fit over the hole, and make an "access panel". They probably make something similar that's already "cut to fit" with a plastic border that'll just get screwed on over the top. Then, paint it, and also should paint the wall to color match.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0

This is the best and easiest way to do it , Just like @morbidewok says .......
Good luck