What's new

Newbie Problems

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So guys I'm getting a little discouraged, my buddy Adam has joined me in the last couple cigars that I've had and he seems to be picking up on the flavors, and I'm still having problems distinguishing different flavors. Are there any "tricks-of-the-trade" to help me along or do I just need to keep smoking to tell differences? I worry about having a crappy palate. HELP!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
What helped me alot was reading reviews of cigars in as many sources as possible. This kind of helped me to figure out what the flavors were that I was tasting, and help develop my palate. I personally don't get alot of these subtle nuances that some people get (hints of nasturtium leaves melded with freshly peeled orange rind and smacking of cypress bark!!!) I think alot of it is just a bunch of hooey. But I wouldn't worry so much about what you taste and what you don't taste, I would worry about whether you like the cigar or not, that's really the important part imho.

Enjoy your cigar more!!!!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Kevin is right...some people, like me too, can't really place a descriptor on the flavors or even taste all the flavors for that matter.

If you are enjoying what you are tasting then that is all that really matters. :thumbsup:

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
"smacking of meat and mushrooms" That one did it in for me.
Were they smoking a cigar or a blue plate special from the local diner????

I look for cigars that taste and feel good while smoking them and leave a non offensive taste afterwards.

The only way to get that ability to distinguish flavors is with practice .
Just keep smoking the cigars slowly and very slowly and it will reveal itself to you grasshopper.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Kevins got what helped me. I still can't pick up on everything and I have been smoking for over a year. My thought is if you are enjoying the cigar then that is enough. If you can define some flavors, great.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I dont want to put out the impression I can distinguish tons of flavors, but I have been getting better at it. I have, for the last 8 months or so, been exhailing about half a mouthful of smoke through the shnozz. You can "taste" the flavors better by smelling them. Exhailing a little smoke through the nose dramatically increases my enjoyment of the cigar.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
CIGARHead said:
, for the last 8 months or so, been exhailing about half a mouthful of smoke through the shnozz. You can "taste" the flavors better by smelling them. Exhailing a little smoke through the nose dramatically increases my enjoyment of the cigar.
This really helps me to "taste" a cigar. The key is to exhale slowly, a little at a time.

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cigar_Jack said:
Did you make it or pick this up from somewhere? I'd love to post it on my website and gvie the creators proper credit.
I got it from another site, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember where, so no attribution is possible.

Sorry.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well good thanks for all the support guys! There's no danger in me quitting, just thought I was behind the learning curve! I'll just keep smoking I guess

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm with those who have never been able to really place alot of the nuances that some folks can. Try not to worry about it. Really focusing on the smoke and what you are tasting each time you smoke can help, and if you can get the hang of it, exhaling through the nose occasionaly (small amounts of smoke) is another good way to increase your ability to distinguish tastes.

Here's a question: What situations do you mostly smoke under? Are you with other people? By yourself? Where? This can greatly affect how you experience a cigar. Put me at a herf or with other people chating and having a good time and I'm going to taste a heck of alot less than I will out on the Florida room with a book.

Had to laugh when reading your post, I must admit...I'd bet I could go back and find the exact same post from myself on one of the boards. :thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Definitely true about where I am smoking. Tuesday nights at the Cigar Den, I won't remember much other than good or bad. By myself in the basement I will remember a lot more. Unless I am watching the Giants and then I am trying not to swallow my cigar!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Same with me on smoking in groups of people. I no longer smoke my best cigars at herfs and dinners and such. I realized this not long ago when I had one of my favorites, a Cohiba Seleccion Reserva, at a herf and realized when I was finsihed with it that I hadn't even taken the time to really enjoy it. I was too busy socializing. I love to get together with people and smoke cigars but I get more out of a cigar when relaxing at home.
As for deciphering the flavor profiles, I apparently have the palate of a billy goat. I can only taste good, bad, great, wow, holy mother of god, blech and things like that.
Relax and just enjoy your cigar!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
If you are enjoying what you are tasting then that is all that really matters. :thumbsup:
Dead on.
If you're not enjoying it, even with different cigars, you may have to entertain the thought that you just don't like cigars.
Keep smoking and see if you enjoy it, before you dive in too deep to something that you won't end up liking in a few months.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a quick Secret....
Get a King Edward or White Owl, Now Fire it up...
Once you smoke a bit of it, You'll know the differance.

This is NOT bashing Either of these, but if you smoke one and compare it to a CAO, Rocky Patel, OPUS, Etc... You should see a HUGE Differance, and Even though you might not say "Nutty, Cocoa-Taste, Cedary Etc." you'd know!...
I'm NOT a Writer, so for me to TYPE what it tastes like, is almost impossable. I'm more likly going to give you one, and let you say the "Big-Words" while I just Enjoy my smoke with a Smile-On!..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
windowrx said:
Same with me on smoking in groups of people. I no longer smoke my best cigars at herfs and dinners and such. I realized this not long ago when I had one of my favorites, a Cohiba Seleccion Reserva, at a herf and realized when I was finsihed with it that I hadn't even taken the time to really enjoy it. I was too busy socializing. I love to get together with people and smoke cigars but I get more out of a cigar when relaxing at home.
As for deciphering the flavor profiles, I apparently have the palate of a billy goat. I can only taste good, bad, great, wow, holy mother of god, blech and things like that.
Relax and just enjoy your cigar!

I'm Told (or have been) that the "ONLY TASTE I have is in my Mouth"....
But your comment made me think (Un-Pure) thoughts!.. I'm thinkin' The Billy Goat for me is about right! Except I would Add HOT, Fire, and my Cheeks are going to hate this tomorrow to the List, But I eat a lot of Mexican, Tex-Mex food...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ya know what, over the summer I had a few smokes that I was able to sit down with and take the time to notice the flavors and just relax without anything else in the way. Since the weather has gotten so cold I don't seem to enjoy the subtleties of a cigar as often. I also noticed when I smoke a cigar with someone else I often don't pay attention and get wrapped up in conversation, and the cigar becomes more of just a social activity.

Winter is not even officially here yet and I am already waiting for it to end so I can get a tall glass of ice cold water and sit in the sun and enjoy a large cigar.