What's new

Newbie Problems

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Don't get discouraged bro, smoke the cigar and enjoy the friendship of smoking with others...Some people are more articulate when describing what they taste, and what they think they taste will most likely be different than what you do!!!

Here's my review of the cigar I'm smoking:

2001 R&J Robusto El ...

I lit it, I smoked it, there was a nice taste of tobacco with a slight taste of burning tobacco after the first 1/3 I tasted tobacco that changed in the last half to a stronger taste of tobacco...Great cigar

I bet if you have one you will agree!!!

Ironman

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all the support guys. I smoked a "Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sungrown ROBUSTO #11 (Natural sun grown wrapper)-
Dominican Republic" and a "Saint Louis Rey ROTHSCHILD (Maduro)- Honduras" (thank god Jay sent me the names and descriptions of what he sent me!) today and I really enjoyed both of them! I took your advice and quit worrying about trying to taste things and just enjoyed it for what it was a great cigar. What's funny is as soon as I did that I picked up on some different flavors that I hadn't noticed before. . . I think I was just pysching myself out, but I'm all better now:santa:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've just become a member, but have been smoking for years. There seems to be a limited number of nuances that can be discerned from the smoke of the cigar, a few more from the wrapper. (IMVVHO) :halfgrinw

I’ve found that the key to picking up on these subtleties is to smoke the stick slowly. I’ve had a Hemi SS last over 70 min without relighting. And the suggestion to past the smoke though your nose is a good one, although I have a harder time doing that with says, a VSG. :bigeyes:

Think of it in terms of coffee… practice and patience. Time will acclimate your palate to the differences and subtleties of different cigars and you will notice differences more quickly.

But, then that could just be me……… :innocent:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh you're totally right. . . I'm still getting there with coffee. . . it has to be a really bold flavor (say a Harar) for me to get the nuances. It's taken me quite a while to build my palate for wine too. . . just gotta have patience!