What's new

Newbie Q's and hopefully your A's

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Would I look like a poser if I smoked a pipe? I'm 27 but look like I'm 17.

How long does one bowl take to smoke?

Does the pipe reek of ash when done...I know the only type of pipe I have ever smoked stunk?

Does the price of the pipe make a difference?

Do the sweet smelling tobaccos taste as sweet or more? I don;t think I would like that.

More to come....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have the age yet to smoke a pipe and I'm a bit older than you. I think its a perception thing.

I don't smoke pipes, but many I herf with do. A good pipe seems pretty important.

Mike

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Some obsverations from another pipe newbie:

I only smoke a pipe in private because I feel kind of odd being seen doing it (I know, to hell with what people think...but). I've mostly seen only older folks using pipes and when I've seen younger guys I know that I kind of thought they looked a little silly. Especially when they seem to be trying to look all thoughtful and introspective.

I never timed it but a full pipe (bowl?) takes a LONG time for me to smoke.

My pipe reeks. I keep in in a drawer when not in use.

Personal opinion - I don't think the price of the pipe matters much for a beginner as long as it's seasoned well and taken care of. I would think that as you progress a better pipe could make for a better smoking experience.

I haven't tried any sweet tobacco's yet but I do like the aroma of them so I suspect I may like the flavor.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Todd,

I am 36 and like Brian said, I only smoke my pipe around the house. I would have a complex walking around in public smoking it. Now if I were to sit down at a herf, that would probably be a different story.

1 bowl for me usually lasts about an hour....give or take.

My pipes do have a slight odor but I don't know if I would say they "reek". I have them in a pipe pack sitting beside my cabinet humidor so they don't stink enough that I have to put them away.

A tin of baccy could be had for a very economical price compared to cigars. I would suggest that you purchase a sampler package from a Brother which usually consists of quite a few for you to try....that way you are not buying a whole tin until you determine what you like.

I am far from an expert but, aromatics for me don't always taste as sweet as you would think from the smell.

Hope this helps,
David

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Would I look like a poser if I smoked a pipe? I'm 27 but look like I'm 17.

How long does one bowl take to smoke?

Does the pipe reek of ash when done...I know the only type of pipe I have ever smoked stunk?

Does the price of the pipe make a difference?

Do the sweet smelling tobaccos taste as sweet or more? I don;t think I would like that.

More to come....
Answers ...

1. As long as you don't look like your icon pic ... probably not. In any case, are you that concerned what other people think?

2. Depends on the size of the bowl and how much tobacco you use. Pipes are flexiible in that you can load as much or as little tobacco as you like. So the answer here is actually "As long as you want". In addition, unlike cigars, some pipe tobaccos (Virginias) actually taste better after they have been smoked awhile, allowed to go out and then smoked again hours later.

3. All tobacco products will have an aroma when smoked and pipes will take on this aroma to a certain extent. To cut down on this you can wipe out the inside of the bowl occasionally with you favorite liquor (whiskey, rum, etc.). Also, allowing your pipes to dry / air out in between smoking will keep the smell down.

4. Yes, to a certain extent. A $150 hand-made briar pipe will always look and smoke better than a $15 machine-made Dr.Grabow pipe that you buy at the drugstore. But, that's not to say it will be 10 times better. A good rule of thumb is to buy the best pipe your budget will allow. IMO, it's better to purchase one $150 pipe or two $75 pipes vs. ten $15 pipes.

I also believe that pipes in the $100-$250 range represent the best value. You get quality construction, very good appearance and good resale value in case you decide to sell. Beyond that you are generally paying for the name and aesthetics.

5. The sweet smelling tobaccos (aromatics) are cased (flavored). They seems to be designed more for room aroma than for providing good taste to the smoker. Most of these are made with cheaper quality burley tobaccos, burn very hot due to the added sugar flavorings and result in a goopy mess in your pipe. There are a few decent ones around though ... but you won't find them in Walgreens.

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I am 25 and have been smoking my pipe since I was 18.
I still get looks and have gotton pulled over beacuse of it.
If any one has any q's I know a fair amout about pipes and '
baccy.
I am a member of the CPCC and atend the chicago pipe show almost every year.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
So, when one smokes a pipe is it a similar technique to smoking a cigar...like a lonsdale?
Nope, it's totally different. You draw from a pipe by 'whispering'. It's nearly as if the pipe draw for you if packed correctly (almost).

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
You don't really 'suck' on it like you do a cigar. Hard to explain...

And damn if that comment doesn't make John's Weekly BOTL list :D

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Generally speaking, the draw with pipes is much easier / looser than with cigars. In addition, with pipes the intake is more like taking many little sips vs. a large gulp.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to any quality pipe is the wood from which it is carved. Algerian Briar is a most incredible wood that makes the world’s best smoking pipe. The (wood) grain of Algerian is Briar extremely tight and dense, which allows the wood to breathe more efficiently. This allows the briar to release more heat through the bowl of the pipe instead of going back through the shank and up the stem along with the smoke you'd like to enjoy. Accordingly, this results in the bowl being a bit hotter to the touch, but it inevitably provides a cooler smoke.

My $0.02 worth.

-MM

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, the guy's that I would refer You to, have already Spoken. Tedski, Sgresso, Vipe all have good and far more extensive backgrounds in the field. Plus, Hakan definately knows His way around the Ol'Bowl Hisself! But, as a relatively new piper I have a few observations about pipes for new smokers.

#1) Pipes are a completely different disipline from Cigars. They are not comparable really.

#2) Lot's of opinion floating around about "How one looks" Pipe smokers as a rule are not concerned with that too much. If You are Young There is the possibility LEO's might be curious about Your "Vintage". Posers stand out real fast, because they cannot handle the pipe properly. You decide that piont. I smoke 90% of the time at home. Because the Pipe experience for me is A Soothing and Quiet time. Reading a book, on the E-net or watching sports or out in the back Yard. It is an easy going pace, usually sitting and sipping.

#3) Tons of options and very few restrictions on Pipes themselves or the most desired Tobaccos. If You are bored by Pipes....You ain't Payin Attention!

#4) Myth, I gotta buy a $500 dollar pipe first. False! I just talked with our Brothers whom are Bilingual with Tobacco Genres. Everyone took time and effort to coach me and still do. A couple of them even set me up with starter Pipes and samplers for extremely reasonable prices. One Brother Totally Blew Me Away with His Generocity! (I mean WOW!) Start small with decent quality pipes. Two is a good idea because You do want to rest them. Lots of Quality Bros here to help.Can it get expensive? You bet Your Arse it can! Again You decide Your own level of indulgement. Another point made was...once You have a selection of tobacco it's insanely economical. Say You buy a $15 dollar tin of primo tabacco. The same $ in cigars is one maybe two cigars? You get 10 to 20 bowls of pleasure out of that and if You get a little bulk? Paleese, I have converted a cooler-Dor to Pipe tabac and I could smoke a year on what's in it! Plus, like cigars it gets better with age!

#4) Aromatics vs non-aromatics: Personal preference here. Same is true of mild or Full body tobaccos. I'm still trying everything I can get my hands on! A note on the Aromatics that was touched on above. "Sweet Smelling" Aromatics Smell sweet but often the smokers flavor is much less sweet. What My GF Adores the smell of, is only so-so to me. But, if I smoke a bowl of that every so often, She almost never complains about the others. So, sometimes You apease the masses like at a cook out. Very many smoking Nazi's start to jump on tables when You light a cigar. I've have far fewer complaints about a pipe. I've even had people seek me out because of it. Who doesn't have a fond memory of a Grandfather or Uncle or Dad smoking a pipe way back when? Women are quick to respond to that, if they had such a figure in their life. I'm not talking about dating, simply a very pleasent experience instead of a "Put that nasty thing out!" attitude like with cigs or cigars. I actually had a woman chase off a Smoke Nazi, For me! She told the complaining lady to "Stick Her busybody nose somewhere else", I was Shocked! So, I plan sweet smelling stuff when among Heathens.

#5) Give it a fair shake. It takes some time to get good at packing a bowl and judging what works for You. I tried 5 times before I got a bowl to burn proper. Then it all comes together. Just don't rush it, it's an very enjoyable experience....The first Learning.

Pipes are a Great Adventure I can reccomend Highly. Good Luck and Good Puffing!

Slack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and Andy have made the jump (I'm sure he'll pipe up here sooner or later...pun intended :nodlaugh: ). The first few bowls are a bear to keep lit until you get the technique down. What I've found works best is to keep on it. Lots of small, light puffs; don't leave it alone like you can with a cigar. Pipes are very hard to recover once they start going out, so keep that in mind. I'm just using a cheap corncob right now but I've been enjoying it, especially the price. For me, a bowl seems to last around 20 minutes before it's cashed. It's a whole lot cheaper for a quick smoke then 'gars, that's for dern sure.