What's new

Newbie review

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Christmas, I have been trying the cigars that the girlfriend bought me, and I'd like to share some thoughts on what I have smoked.

Tonight, I smoked an "AVO" INTERMEZZO, XO, (it came in an orange, metalic tube). When I opened the tube up, I noticed that the cigar wrapper was coming "unglued" about halfway up the stick, with another section of the wrapper coming apart near the end that you stick in your mouth, (not sure what part of the cigar that is called). After seeing that, I immediately checked to make sure that my box was maintaining the correct humidity.
The hygrometer was reading 71%, which is what I expected, so I can only assume that maybe it was a factory defect. I went out onto the porch, with my ash tray, a glass of 2002 Cakebread Cabernet Sauvignon, and the news paper.

After lighting the cigar, I was a bit underwhelmed with the first half. During the second half, I noticed a sensation in my mouth that I can only assume was the "spicy" taste that I have other smokers talk about. It was similar to the sensation you get when you eat something with chili pepper in it, but this is the first time I have ever encountered it in a cigar. I rather enjoyed the second half, but I was still a bit put off by the wrapper coming apart, and the dissapointing first impressions of the cigar.

My question is this, is this normal for this cigar? Among the other cigars I have tried, I have really enjoyed the Fuente "Hemmingway" cigars, as well as a couple of Ashthons, the Macanudo's, and the Cohiba Panatella's, they were all enjoyable throughout, and had none of the unwrapping issues that the AVO had.
Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated. Thanks

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My .02 is that construction problems are, for the most part, only as bad as you let them be, a little bit of the wrapper coming off doesn't mean that the whole cigar is crap. Obviously, enough problems to where it becomes unsmokeable is a different story. And as far as the taste issue. . . did you like the second half enough to overlook the dissapointing first half? Seems to me like there are enough cigars out there that you can probably find something that you like all the way through. So this would be a cigar that I'd get one or two of if there was a great deal on them but I'd know beforehand that the first half was going to be mediocre, and the second tasty. Like I said. . . my .02

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never meant to imply that the AVO cigar was crap.... All I meant to say was I am still a newbie, and I am still trying to figure out which cigars I like.
Tonight I had a "Flor De Oliva" Grand Cameroon, which I was quite happy with. I was a bit concerned about the whole "square" cigar thing......but it didn't suck.

I would rate the " Grand Cameroon" from Flor de Oliva as another one of my favorites, untill some one introduces me to something better. :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I actually like the square shape a lot, I was worried about it too. But when I smoked one I noticed I like the way it fits in my mouth and hand better. Oh, and I wasn't saying the AVO was crap either.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oliva grand cameroon's are great, and great on the price too!

a big step from their bundles flavour wise.

I just wish they introduced a new line or two, they have the reputation
and production capability.

and while I am ranting, why is it so hard to get the grand maduro? no B&M here has em, and barely any online retailer?