What's new

Newbie with a couple of questions about storage!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
When Boveda said to consider your environment when selecting Boveda Rh packets is it because wetter cigars smoke better in low humidity environments and dryer cigars smoke better in wetter environments OR

Is it because if you keep your humidors at a lower rH in damp environments the cigars and packets are better able to absorb the influx of damp air when you open the humidor and provide more moisture when opening in dry environments?

By doing what they suggest (65% packs in high humidity, 72% packs in low humidity and 69% in moderate environments) and assuming you do occasionally open your humidors are you basically smoking all your cigars at 69%?
Since the pillows are "two way" medium, I don't give it much thought. I've been steady 65%RH and it's safe to assume that's where the smokes are at. Opening the door to pull a smoke doesn't seem to change those values. I can read the values through the window.

So I guess your question being .. if I'm smoking 65%RH cigars outside at 73%RH .. is the cigar actually at 69%? I don't think the transition is that fast.
I'm sure we all have smoked in extremely high humidity in the dog days of summer and also below freezing clearing snow and seen cigars react to that extreme.

My assumption is a stored 65% RH cigar that is lit outside ....under typical conditions.. will be 65RH, and it's characteristics are more influenced by the end that is on fire.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Bondo 440

I am having a hard time trying to phrase the question and state my thoughts clearly.

Let me simply ask "why did they recommend different storage Rh for different environments"?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have everything in the new tupperdor right now. Is it normal for the RH to be holding at 49% since yesterday evening? I knew it would take a bit to come up to 65ish but jeez. For reference, I put one of the large bovedas in there. Do i need to add another?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Was the tupperdoor and trays stable before you put the cigars in? If you have no other options dump all your Bovedas in.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was the tupperdoor and trays stable before you put the cigars in? If you have no other options dump all your Bovedas in.
I just put everything in there at once: trays, sticks, and boveda. After cleaning and letting the sistema dry first.

I added another large Boveda just now, as well as the Drymistat 70% tube that I forgot I ordered but just arrived.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Your trays are probably dry. Takes about 3-4 days for me to get a new tupper all setup and stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
@Bondo 440

I am having a hard time trying to phrase the question and state my thoughts clearly.

Let me simply ask "why did they recommend different storage Rh for different environments"?
I'll chime in with what I believe the reasoning behind it is. And first I'm going start with airtight storage mediums possibly not being in the thought process. It's to keep your rh relatively close to upper 60s. If you're in a dry environment having a 72% rh pillow will work against all that is drier (ie. air, wood, tobacco) or should I reverse that and say those are working against the pillow. The pillow only has so much moisture it can contribute. So back to not talking about airtight plastic storage, the effects of the drier air on let's say a standard wooden humidor, can definitely effect how much and how fast the ambient water vapor on the inside is absorbed by the wood and tobacco on the inside, as well as whats in the air because the ambient air is drier. On to a wet environment, if you're living in an environment that is humid and reaches above 70% rh in the ambient air then having a lesser rh pillow will help to steal that moisture out of the air. Just like sticking dried out pillows in a Tupperware with a bowl of water. Its gonna absorb and the reason is to keep the rh down. Same reason why a lot of cigar boxes get shipped with bovedas. And if you're in a not so dry area but an average area having 69 can keep you closer to upper 60s without the pillow exhausting too fast.

I hope this makes sense, not saying this is definitive fact, just saying I hope what I'm trying to say in able to be understood.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll chime in with what I believe the reasoning behind it is. And first I'm going start with airtight storage mediums possibly not being in the thought process. It's to keep your rh relatively close to upper 60s. If you're in a dry environment having a 72% rh pillow will work against all that is drier (ie. air, wood, tobacco) or should I reverse that and say those are working against the pillow. The pillow only has so much moisture it can contribute. So back to not talking about airtight plastic storage, the effects of the drier air on let's say a standard wooden humidor, can definitely effect how much and how fast the ambient water vapor on the inside is absorbed by the wood and tobacco on the inside, as well as whats in the air because the ambient air is drier. On to a wet environment, if you're living in an environment that is humid and reaches above 70% rh in the ambient air then having a lesser rh pillow will help to steal that moisture out of the air. Just like sticking dried out pillows in a Tupperware with a bowl of water. Its gonna absorb and the reason is to keep the rh down. Same reason why a lot of cigar boxes get shipped with bovedas. And if you're in a not so dry area but an average area having 69 can keep you closer to upper 60s without the pillow exhausting too fast.

I hope this makes sense, not saying this is definitive fact, just saying I hope what I'm trying to say in able to be understood.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You phrased my thoughts exactly. I confused things by saying a 65% boveda in a humid environment will give you cigars in the 69 range. My pal Bondo mentioned that his hygrometers do not show an appreciable change in Rh after his storage is opened. An observation that would de-legitimize my/our line of reasoning. So either his humidors are in an environment similar to his storage Rh or there is not enough exchange of air to make a difference. Boveda appears to recommend the ideal humidity for storing cigars is 69%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You phrased my thoughts exactly. I confused things by saying a 65% boveda in a humid environment will give you cigars in the 69 range. My pal Bondo mentioned that his hygrometers do not show an appreciable change in Rh after his storage is opened. An observation that would de-legitimize my/our line of reasoning. So either his humidors are in an environment similar to his storage Rh or there is not enough exchange of air to make a difference. Boveda appears to recommend the ideal humidity for storing cigars is 69%
I would take the word of the experienced guys and girls around here regarding storage RH instead of Boveda. It's like the industry standard rule of 70/70. I think you'll find most people store their cigars around 65 RH. You have to find what works for you, your storage solutions, and your cigars.

For example, in my airtight storage I use 65 RH packs and maintain around 66 RH. In my wooden/glass top humidor, I use 69% packs and it maintains at 64 RH.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Since the pillows are "two way" medium, I don't give it much thought. I've been steady 65%RH and it's safe to assume that's where the smokes are at. Opening the door to pull a smoke doesn't seem to change those values. I can read the values through the window.

So I guess your question being .. if I'm smoking 65%RH cigars outside at 73%RH .. is the cigar actually at 69%? I don't think the transition is that fast.
I'm sure we all have smoked in extremely high humidity in the dog days of summer and also below freezing clearing snow and seen cigars react to that extreme.

My assumption is a stored 65% RH cigar that is lit outside ....under typical conditions.. will be 65RH, and it's characteristics are more influenced by the end that is on fire.
What @Boudie said makes a little sense when you think about the burn. More humidity in the air affects the air that burns with the tobacco. I know that when it’s raining here fresh cigars burn like crap, but older stuff doesn’t have a problem. I can understand it a little.

That being said, we aren’t too humid in DFW, and I still find 65% is the best for smoking.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
- I have everything in the new tupperdor right now. Is it normal for the RH to be holding at 49% since yesterday evening?.....
- I just put everything in there at once: trays, sticks, and boveda. After cleaning and letting the sistema dry first.

I added another large Boveda just now, as well as the Drymistat 70% tube that I forgot I ordered but just arrived.
Your trays are probably dry. Takes about 3-4 days for me to get a new tupper all setup and stable.
(y) Tacket. I'll admit that's way lower than I expected him to land. But yeah it will straighten out.

Tex, if it still reads he same tomorrow, you could always move the 10 smokes back to the traveldor while the tupperdor finds itself.
Or, if you eventually found distilled water, put some in an open dish in there, or give the trays a light wipe. ( ironically, what you were going to do initially ) :sneaky:
But again, you had to get setup to know where your RH is in the first place, or you're shooting blind.

You got a lot of good input here from the gang, and a lot of 'hows and whys" about humidity and it's role with your cigars. I just want to say, once it's set up, it's pretty much maintenance free.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Various updates:

• Tupperdore is up to 59% RH right now with two large Bovedas inside
  • Sticks are currently in the traveldor with the 70% Drymistat
  • Forgot to mention I calibrated the hygrometer the other day using the saltwater test and it was 4% low, so I adjusted accordingly.
:)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you have an unused Boveda put the hygrometer in a sealed zip lock with it and see what the hygrometer reads in 4 or 5 hours. 71 or even 72 in a 75 environment is quite a bit for a new hygrometer. Check it against the media you will be using You want to see what it reads at the 65% Boveda mark, that's what's important.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dang, I just saw your earlier post where you mentioned this. Reckon I'll wait until the tupperdore has seasoned/stabilized and the sticks are safely inside...then recalibrate the hygrometer against a Boveda pack.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You may not need to re-adjust. If you only have two packs better to leave them in the tuperdor just don't let them get too dry on you

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Forgot to ask...can I stack sticks on top of each other in the tupperdore, or should they only be one row deep?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
one row deep? Now that's funny!! Give it 6 months

Sometimes I have trouble getting the lids back on!! My biggest concern is not crushing them.

But to answer your question if you are buying trays you might be able to keep them 2 or 3 deep and stack your trays.

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Interesting bits of info! I'm in a high humidity climate, but honestly it was dumb luck that drove me to order the 65% packs, not specific research :LOL:
I live in the south also and I struggled for years with my cigars being too wet. I would have to dry box for 2-3 days. I switched to the 65% Bovedas and after about a month it fixed that issue.