What's new

Newbie with a couple of questions about storage!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Forgot to ask about temperature. Most stuff I'm seeing says keep them below 75. The closet i have them in now is in a room that gets blasted with sun. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 80 in there on a hot day. I can relocate them somewhere else (can probably clear up some space in the master closet, assuming the Boss doesn't notice), but first I thought I would ask if anyone on here regularly stores their sticks at that temp with no problem?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
75 you are probably asking for trouble. I like 65% at 64-65 degrees. If you start talking about 80 degrees it's better to sneak them into the wife's refrigerator then let them get that hot. Living in Texas and not running the AC at 65 degrees means you should either repurpose an old refrigerator or look at buying a NewAir.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I reckon I'm going to relocate it to the bottom drawer of my nightstand. I'm thinking it should be under 75 in there. Also...as it seemed appropriate for this thread...the tup' hit 65% RH today and my order from Fox arrived. Check her out, fellas! She's not much but she's mine. :giggle:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The reason below 75f is important is because at warm temps tobacco beetles can hatch and they will munch holes in your cigars. This can be avoided by placing all of your cigars in double freezer ziplock bags and putting them in the freezer for 72 hours to kill the eggs. Let them return to room temp slowly and put them in your tupperdor. Then just do the same for all cigars you acquire.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Forgot to ask about temperature. Most stuff I'm seeing says keep them below 75. The closet i have them in now is in a room that gets blasted with sun. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 80 in there on a hot day. I can relocate them somewhere else (can probably clear up some space in the master closet, assuming the Boss doesn't notice), but first I thought I would ask if anyone on here regularly stores their sticks at that temp with no problem?
I’ll differ from almost everyone here because of necessity. I’m in TX and there ain’t no way I can keep my temp down in the summer. It’s not uncommon for my house to be at 80 degrees in the summer. I’ve got a cabinet with about 3000 sticks and a desktop with another 100 and I’ve never had a problem with beetles, not once. Years ago I did have a problem with mold, it was all caused by one lost stick that was in the direct release from my humidifier. Once I rooted that out I haven’t had any issues. 75 or below would be ideal, but you do what you have to. The one thing I would say is absolutely no direct sunlight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ll differ from almost everyone here because of necessity. I’m in TX and there ain’t no way I can keep my temp down in the summer. It’s not uncommon for my house to be at 80 degrees in the summer. I’ve got a cabinet with about 3000 sticks and a desktop with another 100 and I’ve never had a problem with beetles, not once. Years ago I did have a problem with mold, it was all caused by one lost stick that was in the direct release from my humidifier. Once I rooted that out I haven’t had any issues. 75 or below would be ideal, but you do what you have to. The one thing I would say is absolutely no direct sunlight!!!

That makes me feel a LOT better. There are no cool spots in my house...it approaches 80 during the summer when nobody is home and the a/c is set higher. I moved the tupperdor into my nightstand. Completely dark, and in one of the "cooler" rooms.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel a LOT better. There are no cool spots in my house...it approaches 80 during the summer when nobody is home and the a/c is set higher. I moved the tupperdor into my nightstand. Completely dark, and in one of the "cooler" rooms.
Could always talk the wife into leaving the AC on during the day lol. I don't have that problem because we're both night shift workers and neither of us want to sweat our asses off while we're sleeping.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Could always talk the wife into leaving the AC on during the day lol. I don't have that problem because we're both night shift workers and neither of us want to sweat our asses off while we're sleeping.

When it’s 100 degrees for over a month straight there’s no helping hitting 80. Either the AC is gonna break or my budget will.

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
@Texican also remember that mold growth is a combination of heat and humidity. If your temp is going to get high make sure your humidity is lower. Higher temps can also cause your humidity to shoot up. When you get a bigger humidor, some 70% heartfelt beads help to suck up why moisture when things get off.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it. Looks like the tupperdor is about leveled out. It dipped down to 63% when I put the new batch of sticks in. It is holding at 65% right now. I'm going to wait until it holds for another day or so (or even goes up a bit), then remove all of the extra humidifiers except the two large Boveda 65s.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Figured I would circle back and show you all the current state of the little Tupper that could. All your input has been greatly appreciated in getting this up and running. This was a 4-stick weekend so she is a bit emptier than would have been otherwise. Most of the stuff in here (save for some last remaining cheapo Connecticuts) is new to me and I'm excited to try it. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would circle back and show you all the current state of the little Tupper that could. All your input has been greatly appreciated in getting this up and running. This was a 4-stick weekend so she is a bit emptier than would have been otherwise. Most of the stuff in here (save for some last remaining cheapo Connecticuts) is new to me and I'm excited to try it. :)

View attachment 149239
Got some good smokes there!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bumping my newbie thread because I just realized I've been here a year. Love this place. :cool: