What's new

Newer guys and Le's

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
While smoking a 09 Tatuaje Sw today I've reconfirmed what I've been thinking for many months.
I just wanted to chime in on all the LE's flying around now days and my overall opinion. It was a great time to join botl in late 08. Viaje was just a thought of Andres still. Pete was just starting all his LE stuff as well. Hell even Dion's 1st LE (eccjs) were just released. Franks were not a household name but just a idea coming into fruition! Cigars like the EL Truinfador(OR Lance) Noella Res, Tat Regios Res, T110s and the Sw Maddie were not even out yet or just getting there legs. This was well before all the store (most store LE) releases were being released .

I don't quite remember what exactly was my last purchase of LE's. It has been quite some time now At least a year or more. I don't know what it was specifically that had me quit chasing them. But I do know some of the "flair" that came with them had faded. I still occasionally smoke a T110, Boris, Sw Maddie and enjoy them a ton. I also occasionally by a couple LE's if someone is selling them around cost.
Heres why I'm posting this. For the newer guys here chasing LE's don't over look the regular lines!(at least from Tatuaje) Recently I've smoked some 05 Noellas, 07 Especials, 09 SW's and 09 Cazzies. THEY HAVE BEEN NOTHING SHORT OF FANTASTIC. I really mean this, if you havn't tried all the regular brown line labels give them a shot. I think they are better suited to my tastes to me (at least then some of the latest LE creations). And with age the brown lines hit a stride of there own. Ambient aromas awaken, flavors get more pronounced and any signs of NC harshness are all but gone.
So to the newer gents if your caught up chasing the next LE and find it sold out, search out a great brown line from Tatuaje and I don't think you'll be disappointed! At least for me it's been getting back to the cigars that have had me wearing the same hat for 3 years now..............
Jfire

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Right on man... I love smoking the regular lines. Padron, tat, dpg, they are good enough for me on the basic level.

I'll chase an LE if I really know I'm going to be blown away. (tat black PL) Otherwise, my humi looks very "basic."

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Spoken like a Pure cigar man.

Well said my brotha. I smoked almost a whole box of 06 Noella's (not res.) over the winter at the shop and they were outrageously good.

Thanks Nick for pointing those out.

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
excellent thread!!!!!
this is one of the better topics I've seen in a while. This is SO TRUE. I have the exact same thoughts on this.
First, I was always in "the chase" for LE's, and at the time I loved it! I've been smoking for about 14 years now, and I have tried a vast majority of NC smokes. Half of my top 10 cigars are LE. And they are damn good. But for the most part I still smoke regular lines about 80% of the time, or more. I've cooled down a lot on chasing LE's over the past 8 months or so. It was fun, but it is so common nowadays, there seems to be a new LE released every other week. It has just gotten to be to much IMHO.

It kills me when a newer smoker whom tries to smoke mostly LE's; thinking that this is the only path to a great smoke. Or that just because they are a very limited run; automatically makes them an uber-premium that beats all. I have seen some that thought they scored the best cigar out there, only to see them smoke it, and be disappointed.

And I have asked some of these people, "have you ever smoked a VSG? San Cristobal? DCM? MF LB? LFD? La Aurora? Ashton AM?" No. Nope. Not yet.

There are just so many excellent regular production super premiums out there. Like the OR post touched on, (re. age), I have some Punch rare corojos that I have aged 5 years, in my humi that are just spectacular.

Adrenalin Junkee

AWWWW YEEEEEEEEE
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely agree with you guys. im a big fan of most of fuentes products, of course opus for me is tops but just about it all is good. tats you cannot go wrong with, still havent found a bad one. its very true that the LE moniker gets so much attention it makes everyone believe they must be the end all be all. in some cases they are, but like everyone else has said the regular lines can be just as good.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Here, here. An outstanding post indeed. I agree too often in the pursuit of an LE we miss some very good everyday smokes.

On the other hand, depending on one's procurement strategy, if you acquired some regular line stuff and have allowed it to age, you're probably sitting on some true gems. Case in point, I love the Padron Anniversary line but can't always afford them. So, I pick up some of the '000 series and let them age and damn, they are a might fine smoking experience.

So, chase 'em if you have to but, develop your palette and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Never had a LE... only been enjoying this hobby for a year or so now. Someday I guess, but for now still discovering the basics.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Great post! Yes half the fun of LE is hunting them down. The cigar industry is just like the rest, whatever is being talked about, hyped up is what people tend to seek. There is just so much "regular" stuff to try that i really don't go out of my way to hunt LE but wont pass an oportunity if it presents itself.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It is nice to come here and not hear all the crying and complaining about not being able to get the next LE especially from Tatuaje. It was very comical for awhile on here reading about that BOTL forum members should be the first to be able to get Tats before other cigar smokers. I would love to try all the Tats but after being so disappointed from the last few I have smoked I do not want to waste my money. But to each their own. I see that very many do enjoy them and that is all that should be important to them.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
LE's??? What are these LE's you speek of??? :hysterica
Honestly (In my opinion) the LE's have tanked. I too have not chased after 90% of them because I can't see wasting my money on the gamble that one will turn out fantastic. Like you said Justin "Brown Lable Tat's" are very nice and affordable. I absolutely love the Cojonu 03 (My #1 NC) but will not hesitate to pic up a Brown Lable over most LE's.