What's new

Next handgun?

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have my eyes on one of 2 guns right now.

Citadel 9mm 1911 new
S&W 5906 9mm police trade-in

They're both on Bud's. I already have a 1911 but it's a.45 so it's a little more expensive at the range than a 9.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

After this, we can start a wheel gun discussion!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Then you can afford to tinker with it, so I'd choose the 1911. 9mm 1911s have the reputation of being rather finicky, but if you have time and ability to tune it I'd say it would be more fun.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Then you can afford to tinker with it, so I'd choose the 1911. 9mm 1911s have the reputation of being rather finicky, but if you have time and ability to tune it I'd say it would be more fun.
That was my thought if I chose it. I like the fact that it has Novak as opposed to iron sights. So I can upgrade a few parts and get more comfortable making modifications. Then one day, I'll get ambitious and build one from scratch.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You had me at 1911. Mine is in .45 and having one in 9mm would be nice just for cheaper range days. And like mentioned before, you are already familiar with the platform.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You had me at 1911. Mine is in .45 and having one in 9mm would be nice just for cheaper range days. And like mentioned before, you are already familiar with the platform.
I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a 1911 in 9mm. Always been a .45 but it does sound like a good time.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I chose the 1911 last night. Next up, picking a revolver. I've been hearing good things about the GP 100.
Good choice. I recently picked up a Full Size XD 9MM and a Baby Eagle 9MM. I think my next one will be a 1911.
I absolutely love my .45. It's a Rock Island and for what I paid, it has performed as well as my friend's Kimberly for hundreds less!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I chose the 1911 last night. Next up, picking a revolver. I've been hearing good things about the GP 100.
Sweet. Throw a ~10lb recoil spring in it and a full length steel guide rod and it will feel like shooting a .22.

It sounds like you are also interested in learning about 1911s so you can build one some day. You can start with this one by learning the basics of a trigger job. Here is a good article on the basics:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/guntechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull

You will get the most bang for your buck by making minute adjustments to the sear spring, but if you eventually want to try stoning the hammer and sear you can do that, too. The nice thing is that if you mess up, you just need to buy a new sear, which is pretty cheap. As you know, the upgrade options for 1911s are endless, so get some really grippy grips, a magwell, respring the thing, and eventually you will have a gun that shoots great and that you know inside and out. Have fun!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sweet. Throw a ~10lb recoil spring in it and a full length steel guide rod and it will feel like shooting a .22.

It sounds like you are also interested in learning about 1911s so you can build one some day. You can start with this one by learning the basics of a trigger job. Here is a good article on the basics:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/guntechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull

You will get the most bang for your buck by making minute adjustments to the sear spring, but if you eventually want to try stoning the hammer and sear you can do that, too. The nice thing is that if you mess up, you just need to buy a new sear, which is pretty cheap. As you know, the upgrade options for 1911s are endless, so get some really grippy grips, a magwell, respring the thing, and eventually you will have a gun that shoots great and that you know inside and out. Have fun!
Thank you! I'm really interested in customizing my guns. And yeah, I would like to ultimately do a ground-up build.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So did you pick up a revolver yet? My favorite is my S&W 460XVR. It is an awesome nightstand sidearm if you think a bear may attack you while you sleep.
Hahaha! The bears in Jersey are getting pretty brazen lately. I want to try a GP100 out. My friend has the 4" and 6" so I want to put some rounds through each.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So did you pick up a revolver yet? My favorite is my S&W 460XVR. It is an awesome nightstand sidearm if you think a bear may attack you while you sleep.
Hahaha! The bears in Jersey are getting pretty brazen lately. I want to try a GP100 out. My friend has the 4" and 6" so I want to put some rounds through each.
GP100 is a great revolver. Very solid. I think it's one of my favorites along with the SP101, though I don't own either. We had them as range guns when I ran a gun shop and range. They had hundreds of thousands of rounds. No glitches and still heavy and solid enough empty to beat someone with if all else fails... Ha.