What's new

Nice Ash

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Hate it when the ash falls on me...period! it can ruin a good shirt if it's hot enough, plus it just looks sloppy. I will leave an ash on as long as I can but around one to two inches, depending how the ash looks, it's time to tap.

Last edited:

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
The longer the ash the better. I didn't know that the ash cooled the smoke,
but i have unconsciously noticed how hot the end of the cigar gets when the ash has been knocked off.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

His name: Joe Sr.
His cigar: My Father #3 Cremas (Toro size) from Pepin himself

The cigar had to be tapped pretty well in order to get the ash to fall off. It was down to the nub, burning his fingers, and was still holding firm when held sideways. What can you say about good construction.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0

His name: Joe Sr.
His cigar: My Father #3 Cremas (Toro size) from Pepin himself

The cigar had to be tapped pretty well in order to get the ash to fall off. It was down to the nub, burning his fingers, and was still holding firm when held sideways. What can you say about good construction.
That's insane.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Spam bumped this thread but I re-read it and was wondering if anyone could explain how the ash would keep the cigar burning cooler. To me it would seem that the ash would be an insulation almost, allowing the cigar to retain more heat. I understand that it would be very poor insulation, but insulation non the less. Think of a refrigerator, wine cooler or anything that needs to expel heat. It you put a piece of paper towel or toilet paper over the exhaust area, although the insulation value is very low, I would bet that the heat on the inside would rise, if only a little, but would never think that it would drop.

Anyway, I usually let the ash just fall off but knock it off when it gets close to an inch or so. Relaxing to me is not having to worry about it falling on my shirt.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I think, and this is just speculation, as you pull the air through the ash you have, it forces the draw to be longer and less intense due to the restricted air flow to the ember. The more air the hotter something burns so the ash reduces excess air preventing a hot bitter smoke... I think?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The ash helps to keep the smoke cooler by limiting the amount of oxygen getting to the cherry, making it burn both slower, and cooler. (this is with my limited phsyics/chem knowledge. Take it as such)

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Anyway, I usually let the ash just fall off but knock it off when it gets close to an inch or so. Relaxing to me is not having to worry about it falling on my shirt.
That's my general stance on it. I usually knock it off anytime it gets over 1/2 and inch, if I notice. I already have more than enough ash in my truck.