What's new

no beach fun for YOU!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Heading to an LA beach this summer? Better leave the footballs and Frisbees at home.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday agreed to raise the fine for playing ball on the beach to $1,000.

In a 37-page ordinance, the county board specified precisely what is and is not allowed on LA beaches during the summertime — and any object other than a beach ball or volleyball is out, KCBS-TV reported. Throwing a football or a Frisbee was already considered illegal beach activity, but the board’s move upped the fine for violations to a whopping $1,000.

“It is unlawful for any person to cast, toss, throw, kick or roll any ball, tube, or any light object other than a beach ball or beach volleyball upon or over any beach” between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the ordinance states.

Exceptions to the rule allow for ball-playing only in designated areas or if a person obtains a permit beforehand. Playing with a water polo ball is still allowed, as long as it’s in the ocean.

The ball-playing restrictions won’t be enforced in the off-season between September and May.

And it’s not just Frisbees you need to watch out for: You better keep an eye on your kids’ shovels and pails as well. According to the restrictions, no person may dig a hole in the sand deeper than 18 inches, except when permission is given for film and TV production purposes.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
gotta love california! wait! i do!! tis a sad day though. guess i won't be going to any LA beaches. wait! i don't!!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For those of us with ballistophobia, we thank you Board of Supervisors. Now we can move on to more important matters, no more dogs or small children on the beach....for those of us with Coprophobia.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I love Goverment regulation
Yup. It's the bestest thing ever. We don't know what is good for us, so we must rely on the government to tell us what to do and how to be safe.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
wonder if they're trying to sport certain people out like disneyland prices certain people out.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Wow...alot of restrictions for such a liberal state. Guess all the pretty people are afraid of getting sand in places there plastic surgeons can't reach!

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
I grew up there and I cant imagine not being able to play football on the beach. So glad our government is wasting there time on stuff like this.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Don't the police have a lot worse things to worry about in California than people getting exercise and just having fun in the LAND OF THE FREE?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Before there are more speculations and hearsay...

"Nope, it doesn't. There's no Frisbee ban. You've likely read the news report that LA passed a law slapping a $1,000 fine on playing Frisbee at the beach. Then other news outlets picked up on it, announcing throwing a Frisbee "will cost you a cool $1,000 thanks to a new ordinance passed by the Board of Supervisors Tuesday." The only thing is it isn't true. A little digging revealed that the fine has been greatly exaggerated, and that it's not a new ordinance at all!

As it happens, Frisbees weren't just outlawed now, but had already been illegal by ordinance since 1969-1970: the citation of the law (see 17.12.430) plainly reads "(Ord. 10025 § 9, 1970: Ord. 9767 Art. 3 § 33.5, 1969.)". The ordinance passed now merely redefined what kind of balls were illegal, changing it from anything other than "inflated rubber balls not less than 10 inches in diameter" to "beach ball or volleyball." (Read the ordinance amendments; see page 28 for the amendments to 17.12.430)."

read the rest here: http://rentfoodbroke.com/bum-around/read-something/la-bans-frisbees-or-does-it.html