What's new

No more aging cigars for me

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You also need to take into consideration the cost factor associated with buying aged stuff. For the most part, buying 10yr old sticks comes with a premium. I know it's different in Canada but vendors in Switzerland and London have taken to adding 10-15% mark-ups on boxes each year they age. Look at the 1998's with the second band and their associated prices. So some times (not always) it's cheaper to age it yourself depending on the marca and the vitola. Besides, when was the last time you saw an aged box of Monte #2's available for sale?!?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
You also need to take into consideration the cost factor associated with buying aged stuff. For the most part, buying 10yr old sticks comes with a premium. I know it's different in Canada but vendors in Switzerland and London have taken to adding 10-15% mark-ups on boxes each year they age. Look at the 1998's with the second band and their associated prices. So some times (not always) it's cheaper to age it yourself depending on the marca and the vitola. Besides, when was the last time you saw an aged box of Monte #2's available for sale?!?
Quite true about the monte #2 but I stopped buying them 3 years ago as I was finding way too much inconsistency. For us aged on a Monte 2 would still be 05 or 06 boxes. I am not very patient so 3 or 4 years will do for me. Cubans actually prefer younger Cigars. they had discounted SLR series A and LGC MdO#3's there because they were too old and not selling. The one thing I have never seen aged was any cohiba. The best luck I have had was an 06 box of SigloVI's last year. I am not enough of a Cohiba fan to age them unless they were a gift. In that case I had an 00 esplendido last year that was amazing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I only keep around 150-200 around at one time. I have been thinking of making a big humidor, to keep more. Do you buy lot's of boxes and then store?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I only keep around 150-200 around at one time. I have been thinking of making a big humidor, to keep more. Do you buy lot's of boxes and then store?
How many sticks? Unfortunately I don't even have a clue. I tend not to pay too much attention as I had mostly given up on aging a bit ago. I guess I probably have 75 to 100 boxes in various stages. My new form of aging is however long it takes me to smoke through a box. So that is in the 4 to 5 year range right now depending on how good the box is.