What's new

Noob Cigar Selection Confusion

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for a couple of years now and still haven't found that "perfect" smoke. There are several that I smoke more than once, but the enjoyment I get is trying to find that perfect smoke.
You are right about the enjoyment. Just sitting and doing nothing but enjoying (to whatever degree) the relaxing nature of a slow cigar (and maybe a beverage) is a great part of what I am enjoying in this activity. Sure nothing like my former 3 minute cigarettes. Forces me to sit.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started smoking cigars regularly this past spring, & still have tons to try & tons to learn.

I came here thinking price = better cigars, & those damn ratings were the definitive guide.... I was mistaken! Try everything you can. If you like it, but a few more to re try again down the road.

I still don't have a refined pallette, but Oliva's and Undercrowns have yet to disappoint & won't break the bank.

I hesitate to utter it, but have you looked at the "devil site" yet? You can get many good deals on there (and other sites) if patient.

From one newb to another, welcome! Trying all the different cigars is what makes this fun!
Yes, I have been to the "devil site". This morning I completed my addiction certification. Have many singles and a couple fivers on the way soon. I have many in the tupperdor yet to try. These tips are all highly helpful!

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for a couple of years now and still haven't found that "perfect" smoke. There are several that I smoke more than once, but the enjoyment I get is trying to find that perfect smoke.
You are right about the enjoyment. Just sitting and doing nothing but enjoying (to whatever degree) the relaxing nature of a slow cigar (and maybe a beverage) is a great part of what I am enjoying in this activity. Sure nothing like my former 3 minute cigarettes. Forces me to sit.
Most days, when I smoke, I look for something I've heard or read about that I haven't tried. I then "judge" in my opinion only, because, let's face it, it's the only one that counts. There are a few "goto" cigars that I have, and I have more than one of those in my tupperdore, but, for the most part, I live by singles.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
My smokes thus far:

A. Fuentes Curley Head - quite smokable
Don Rafael Vintage 2004 - tasted like dry straw to me
Gispert - good
Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne - ok
Baccarat Lunchadores - decent
Nub Conneticut - liked best of the above
Not a bad start I am afan of the gisperts and nubs are good too

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
My smokes thus far:

A. Fuentes Curley Head - quite smokable
Don Rafael Vintage 2004 - tasted like dry straw to me
Gispert - good
Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne - ok
Baccarat Lunchadores - decent
Nub Conneticut - liked best of the above
Other than the Nub and Perdomo, those are all pretty low budget smokes. Since you liked the cheapest Fuente okay, I'd suggest you try their better stuff. In fact, the Hemingway Short Story just may be that shortcut to nirvana you've been looking for!
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd Try some of the mid level fuente and oliva stuff abs go from there. I'll dig around in the humidor. I mostly shoe fuller bodied stuff but I might have a few I can send you
Watch out for this guy..he will blow up your whole damn house.

So yup, the smokes you tried were Cheapies. The ones you kinda liked were from makers that have great cigars out there and you just happened to try their cheapest.

which nub was it? Habano, Cameroon, Maduro? I think you've got a long way to go before you find your goto stick but you have just embarked on an awesome journey, don't rush through it. I get it though, cigars are expensive to just bulrush your way through a whole bunch of stuff trying to find stuff you like. I guarantee once yo have a few more smokes under your belt, you'll start to find what you're looking for.

What is it you are looking for? Specifically? Do you want rich, full body/strength? Are you interested in Earthy/sweet/spice/pepper/smooth/mild?

Some cigars you can't go wrong with (or can you? Lol)

Tatuaje-Noellas Reserva(I recommend getting one and trying it before all are gone as they've been discontinued) anything really from tatuaje is great.
Illusione 88 is another tasty cigar, and another maker I've yet to have a bad stick from.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just take your time, it will come.

Your palate will evolve over time and will continue to change. What you find as a favorite this year, may be quite a bit different five years later. During this time you will learn what your preference is and be able to make more informed decisions based on your tastes, and where the tobacco leaf comes from that you like most. This all takes time though, it will not come overnight. Your first year you will be able to tell if you like a cigar or not, but do not expect to be able to pick out all the subtle flavors just yet.

Just keep on truckin, you'll get there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding what you like to smoke is part of the fun of the hobby, but know that your tastes will change the further down the slippery slope you allow yourself to go (and I have a couple humidors full of stuff that I no longer find palatable to prove it). If you have a decent local B&M the search is a little easier. Once you find a smoke that you enjoy talk to your local guy and say "These are the ones I like", and he'll give you some recommendations based on your likes. Buying singles from a B&M may be a little more on the front side, but it's a lot cheaper than buying quantities of stuff that sucks.

A piece of advice that I picked up elsewhere is to save the bands of everything you smoke and write yes or no on the inside (I included maybe) and throw it in a box. That way you'll have a reference point somewhere down the line when you can't remember what it was like. Good luck in the hunt for "that stick".

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm still fairly new to the cigar world but between posts here, instagram of fellow botl's and the local B&M I've tried a lot. If I see a lot of people posting a certain stick I'll try it, the local B&M have been very helpful in recommending different sticks to try. I've read not to buy boxes yet and highly recommend sticking to singles now as there's so much out there to try first. Happy smoking and welcome to the brotherhood

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
One more thing you might consider. Do you have a digital hygrometer in your tuppordor? I found out the hard way that a perfectly good cigar can taste like crap if over humidified. I don't usually trust a stick to taste good at a B&M. I don't know why for certain, but if I give a stick a week or two in my humidor where I know the RH is to my liking, the cigar can taste dramatically better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I went sampler crazy. Over time I started to notice I enjoyed certain aspects and trends started to take shape. My advice is don't rush it. A wise botl suggested buying 5 packs and smoking 1 every couple of months from it. Sometimes you'll like them more the next time around.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...there's some good advice here... don't mind if I borrow some, do you, Fr. Jeff?! i know exactly where you are coming from. I largely decide what to buy by the prettiest cigar band! Some cigars have such dumb names (to me, anyway) that i simply cannot take them seriously - I'm sure they are good smokes but who wants to smoke something called "Ruination" or " My Uzi weighs a ton"...!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...there's some good advice here... don't mind if I borrow some, do you, Fr. Jeff?! i know exactly where you are coming from. I largely decide what to buy by the prettiest cigar band! Some cigars have such dumb names (to me, anyway) that i simply cannot take them seriously - I'm sure they are good smokes but who wants to smoke something called "Ruination" or " My Uzi weighs a ton"...!
I sure do! Ha ha, yes the names might seem foolish to some but those are both fantastic cigars IMHO. Matter of fact I'm burning a Ruination as I type this. ..

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
You'll be doing yourself a great disservice if you leave out certain smokes because you think their name is dumb or they don't have a fancy brand adorned around them.. Sure at first pick cigars by pretty bands and names, then note the details on the ones you like. Where were they rolled? Who was the blender? What was the wrapper/binder/filler composed of? Then go out and try to select smokes based on these factors instead of "Ooooooooo aaaaahhhhhhhh" although we all still do it. Marketing is important for a reason lol