What's new

Noob to Scotch Whiskey

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So far Glenlivit and Macallan get the most overall mentions (not specific to age but as a rule of thumb older is better) so I have some guidance now.

Ill have a few this weekend and report back with my findings...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am a JW Black kind of person. I don't drink much and when i do it is less then a shot. Every now and again i will get Blue. When the blue is gone I don't rush to replace. use most times at special times. Black always have on hand.

James

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JW Black is a great every day scotch blend and Red is a complete avoid.

As for recommendations, I currently favor the Highlands and while Glenlivet 12, Macallan 12, and Glenmorangie 12 are solid every day options, I much prefer to pay up a bit. Aberlour 12 or when feeling extravagant, 16 is incredibly smooth. Dalwhinnie is another solid, smooth option. Both are also less sherry influenced than say a Macallan.

As for the mossy, peaty flavor profile of Islay scotches, they are typically very pungent. However, Talisker as previously recommended (and not from Islay but the Isle of Skye) provides access to the mossy, peaty profile but without the pungent extreme of the Speyside's such as Laphroaig and Ardbeg. Additionally, Talisker is rumored to be a significant component of the JW Black blend. So if you like JW Black and want more of a peaty flavor but less than Laphroaig, Talisker is a fine option.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Not much love for Glenfiddich... :( My favorite everyday scotch is the Glenfiddich 15. If you go to Canada, buy the big bottle at duty free. :)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I tried the Macallan 18 tonight. It was smooth but a bit medicinal tasting.
I also had a little Johnny Walker Black and it was really good. I only had a sip so Ill have to give that another shot but if it stays true I may prefer that over the Blue.

I almost went with Glenfidich or Balvenie (they had a wide selection).

Looking forward to trying more brands.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Here is something I did when I first started getting in to scotch.
Invite all of your friends over for a poker night or a BBQ or if it's your BDAY or there is some sort of holiday it works too. Tell em all that you are gonna take care of all of the food and sodas and stuff but you are requesting everyone to bring a bottle of scotch so you guys can all try a big variety and have fun.

A group text or email can help make sure you don't get a ton of duplicates. And you can set a basic price range as a guideline as well.

This is a great way to have fun, try a bunch of different scotch, and unless your friends are booze hounds like mine your bar ends up with a nice variety of half drank bottles to enjoy later.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Invite all of your friends over for a poker night or a BBQ or if it's your BDAY or there is some sort of holiday it works too. Tell em all that you are gonna take care of all of the food and sodas and stuff but you are requesting everyone to bring a bottle of scotch so you guys can all try a big variety and have fun.

A group text or email can help make sure you don't get a ton of duplicates. And you can set a basic price range as a guideline as well.

This is a great way to have fun, try a bunch of different scotch, and unless your friends are booze hounds like mine your bar ends up with a nice variety of half drank bottles to enjoy later.
I was actually thinking of something like this. A "lets teach Z about Scotch" party. Hmmm.....

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I would look at expressions, not distileries.

SHERRY finish is sweeter almost like carmel if you drink Aberlour abunadh
BOURBON well, its gonna taste a little like bourbon but with a slight peat
PORT my fave. It has a depth and bordeaux like subtle flavor
SUATERNES glenmorangie nector d`or and it rocks. Scotch with pear notes
RUM again sort of sugary but not really sweet. Its worth trying
DOUBLEWOODS I personally dont like them but there are several out there. Interesting.
ISLAYS doesnt matter the expresion, these usually have a stronger peat content. Love or hate usually

THIS is just my opinion.

Also, age matters. Mortlach 18 is more refined than the 12 even though both sherry finished. More alcohol taste in the 12 and more sherried in the 18.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also one thing that Americans argue about is water in Scotch. According to a piece I saw on tv with the master brewer at Bruichladdich Distillery, adding just touch of water to Scotch will release the flavor. Some people look down at "watering down your whiskey" but this is not the issue.
Just a splash in 2 or 3 fingers will do it. I tend to agree from my own exerience.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Glenmorangie 10 is a great scotch, for noobs or anybody. A lot of people would also suggest Highland Park since it's supposed to be a good balance of flavors, but I find it a little boring. I love Talisker (and Laphroig), but it's probably not for a noob. Not a fan of Glenfiddich at all.

A great cheap single malt is Speyburn 10 - tastes much more expensive than the $23 it goes for!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ive lined up a little taste test for myself this weekend. I went out and picked up a bottle of JW Black and saw these in the "mini" section.
I figure if one or more has flavor profiles I like then I can take a direction from there.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Easy...Buy several bottles of 18 year old or higher, and send them to me. I will sample each one, and make a recommendation on which ones to purchase....

Seriously. The Glenlivet 18 has to be the best bang for buck at a little over $40.
A little over $40? Wow Clint! Those are prices from ten yrs ago out my way :)
Love the 18. I buy one bottle of the 21 yr Glenlivet a year, best I've had. Another, if you like a touch of smokiness is the 12 yr Bunnahabhain. Pretty damn good with a cigar.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
...adding just touch of water to Scotch will release the flavor. Some people look down at "watering down your whiskey"
One of my favorite scotches, Oban, is excellent with a spash of water. The trick is to ensure it really is just to add a tiny bit so it opens, but doesn't dilute.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ive heard the adding water debate before but never knew why. I keep getting this memory from a movie of someone ordering catch and requesting three drops of water (WTF!).
It is interesting how only a couple/few drops of water does seem to change it a bit.
Ive opted to stay neat for now.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
OoOoOoO.... Had some Hibiki 12 today... damn that was smooth and tasty! I WILL be adding a bottle of that to the list of must have.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Added a Blantons to the mix last night. It wasn't bad and I could see this being a good drink with a stronger cigar. To me it had a bite but not antiseptic with a long lingering tingly feeling. Flavor was good and breathing through the nose after swallowing a sip was returning the same.
If I was smoking a full flavored stick this might be my choice.

I still haven't had those mini bottles up top...lol

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

So Ryan, when are we setting this up? ;) ;)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You can't do this without inviting me :hammersma
You guys supply scotch and Ill bring smokes. :ccool:

OK... Ive had a chance to dirnk them all and here are my thoughts...

Glenfiddich 12 - aroma was smooth and also smooth on the palate, a tingle on the lips and a short linger after the drink. This can have a bite to it if held on the palate but on the average sip and swallow it was not bad. I would drink this again but prob not buy a bottle to keep.

Glenlivet 12 - aroma was stronger than the Glenfiddich and slightly more astringent aroma. It has a smokey flavor was warm in the gut left a tingle on the lips and also had the possibility of a bite on the long sip. This had a definite warm linger on my body. Prob great on a cold day. I don't like the astringent aroma/flavor so this one is out.

Macallan 12 - This had a deep smokey aroma and was also darker than the other two in color. I picked up the distinct aroma of dates on the nose where the others I did not identify anything specific. This had a deep smokey flavor as well and like the others left a tingle on the lips but was shorter. It had almost no bite unless held in the mouth on the long sip but was overall smoother than the others above.

Of the three above I liked the Macallan 12 best and will probably look at the older Macallans when I can.
If Macallan 12 was not an option then Glenfiddich 12 over the Glenlivet 12 for sure.