What's new

Nook Color Cyanogen Mod 7

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone here have experience using CM7 on their nook Color? I am a total amateur and know nothing about rooting or programming. After watching some You Tube and reading I figured about how to put it on my nook and dual boot off the mSD card.

So I have a beautiful looking Android tablet now on my nook Color. I just have some issues with apps force closing. I have searched and read a ton but I don't understand what these guys are talking about. It is all very confusing.

Was hoping someone else here might have this on their nook color or experience with CM7 on another device. Thanks!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I have used CM (thru version 6) on my old G1 phone. Worked like a charm. Could be that there are still kinks to work through on the tablet platform. Not sure. I need to see if it will work on my Toshiba Thrive. That guy does great work with his Android mods.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It looks great and works well except for the apps force closing. There is just so much info out there on the XDA forums and since I have no clue about this stuff all their "big words" confuse me.

The apps that are working fine are awesome. I want to tweak this and not mess it all up.

Another thing I keep seeing is people talking about CWR. No idea if I have it, what version, or how to use it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it works great! I did mine via SD card, so I could stay stock, and then boot to CM when I wanted the full tablet experience. Where have you been looking, are there specific apps etc? We could do this via the public back and forth, or PM me and we can take it offline..

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
It looks great and works well except for the apps force closing. There is just so much info out there on the XDA forums and since I have no clue about this stuff all their "big words" confuse me.

The apps that are working fine are awesome. I want to tweak this and not mess it all up.

Another thing I keep seeing is people talking about CWR. No idea if I have it, what version, or how to use it.
Clockwork Recovery....to install CM's mods, you would have had to install a newer recovery module. I believe his installer does this.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running CM7 for a while, but I don't really know much about it. I have actually been considering taking it back to stock and starting over so I can dual boot.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CWR is the Clockwork Recovery Mod.. it basically is a way to do stuff at the root level of the device...

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8526-how-restore-stock-recovery-cwr.html
Thanks for the link. Still confuses me a little but I read through fast. Have to get ready for work.

I had a lock screen problem but figured out it was a simple setting I over looked.

I have apps force closing like Words With Friends. Tweetcaster works 90% of the time but I cannot click the upper right corner button to post - it just doesn't work. All other functions do. I went to Rom Manager and did Fix Permissions. Facebook is touchy too. The apps that are working are wonderful.

Some at XDA are saying to clear davlik cache but I cannot figure out how to do this. I am not experienced and need basic instructions if this might help.

With the Clockwork Recovery is it something I need to do or just not mess with? I just want to download apps and enjoy a tablet. Not really looking to get too deep into messing with too much.

Hope I am not asking too much. I was going to go with the N2A card but figured I could save myself some cash and got it to work. I have a 16GB mSD Class 6.

Thanks guys!!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Should be able to clear the dalvik cache by going into the recovery....do this when booting. Not sure how it is done with the nook though. You would need to read the instructions for it.

Other thing is to make sure that those apps will function properly when rooted. That could be the issue, not an issue with CM specifically.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's another great tutorial for utilizing CM7 on an SD card for general consumption..

http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complete-guide-to-installing-configuring-cyanogenmod-7-rc4-android-2-3-gingerbread-on-the-nook-color/

As for clearing the Dalvik Cache, yes, it should be a menu selection when you boot to CMW.

As for the Class 6 sd Cards - It has been proven that there's no real difference between the class 4 to 6 cards and the class 10s...

Unfortunately, when you're installing something that is not supported by the manufacturer, you are going to have to get more than just your toes wet. Things are constantly changing, and with so many apps out there that are not regulated like iOS, there is going to be inconsistencies that will make you have to know a bit more about what your doing than just plug-n-play'ing it... All that being said, Nook's latest firmware from B&N does have WordsWithFriends and more, Netflix, and full web support so with the exception of direct access to the Android Marketplace, it might be worth while to go back to stock!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just curious, are you gonna read books at all on your Nook? If so, I wouldn't run CM on it. The B&N Android app sucks big time. I tried it briefly and just went back to using Manual Nooter and enjoying the best if both worlds, i.e. Android market and stock Nook.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I love reading so yes I will be reading books. I am dual booting of the mSD so when I remove the mSD card my nook Color functions as it normaly should. They say rooting onto the device itself is much more stable but I don't want to lose the regular functions of the nook Color or void the warranty.

Thanks for the links. Been reading for 2 days on XDA forums. Information overload. After chatting with you guys I think I will install apps available for nook Color onto the device and use it as intended while at other times I will run CM7 and enjoy it as a tablet.

Day after my wife bought this nook Tablet came out. I really like this though. Still using my nook wifi 3G as well. Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
When I had mine I have CM7 installed and used the Kindle for Android app for reading... like it much better. I installed the OS on the onboard memory instead of just on the SD card. It was used when I bought it so I wasn't worried about warranty and it is easy to restore to original.

I didn't have too many issues with the apps that I used but I don't use either one of the ones you mentioned. I never did get Netflix to work on it like many claimed was supposed to work. My feelings on the Nook Color is that if you really want a full android tablet buy one... the Nook was just a little finicky. That being said you can make if work for most apps but it takes a lot of tinkering and a fairly high technical level to do so.

As far as wiping the Dalvik cache you can use Clockwork Mod to reboot into Clockwork Recovery mode then wipe it from there.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
No experience putting it on a tablet (or nook) but I ran various CM versions on my Droids. They all have their pros and cons but overall they are a solid OS to use. I know there's a lot of limitations when building the OS for the Nook but the CM team is really good at what they do. If the initital build doesn't work, usually the next update solves the major problems.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been reading and playing around and I actually have all my favorite apps running and running smooth. I download the latest stable build by the way. I think it is great that I can run this and pop out the memory card and have my regular nook Color as well.

Thanks for the input guys. If anyone decides to do this I can help guide you in novice terms. It looks hard and confusing on paper but it is easy.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have Cyanogenmod 7 running on my Android phone. I frakking love it. I would never go back to my stock software. My phone runs much smoother and my battery lasts all day without all the bloatware running on it.