What's new

Nording Hunter Blend: Beagle - PToM Sep 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

BEAGLE
Brand:
Nording Hunter Blend
Blend Type: VA/Per
Contents: Perique, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Flake
Packaging: 50g tin

From the tin:

A classic dark, rich matured Virginia flake made from mellow premium orange and red Virginias seasoned with the finest St. James Parish Perique​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
@The Munt
@Mathen

Last edited:

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well I voted for it so I'd better review it!

Had a bowl today in my Nording Bulldog

Out of the mason I microwaved it for 10 seconds which bought it to a great moisture content, dry with plenty of spring left in it. Took an extra tamp and light than usual before it was properly charred and ready for the full bowl light.

I didn't light the zippo long enough so first puff was fluid taste unfortunately. Something that I'm trying my best remember with my new lighter.

Once I got into it though it was smooth and very enjoyable. Flavour wise I really don't have much to say, partly cos I suck at reviews and partly because I have a head cold.

For me it's a go to flake that compared to a lot of flakes I have tried is exceptionally smooth and smokes quite cool.

Paired with some black tea with honey which went down well!

Keen to hear what others think!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Couldn't make it through the day without cracking one of these at the office. Won't smoke it until tomorrow, but I had to catch a whiff! Got that tell-tale McClelland VA twang, but not as dominant as some. This seems to have a bit more depth than a Christmas Cheer, if I had to make a comparison. That Perique, I'm sure...

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Been a bit preoccupied, but I finally got in to some of this yesterday.
The tin note was deceiving to me. While it smelled delicious, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of body out of the smoke. Partly because the only other of the Hunter Blends I've had was an aromatic, so I figured the whole series was going to be rather "light" tobaccos.
It may have been from my preconceived notions going in, but I found it to actually be quite robust. A little bit of oomph inside!
I still consider myself quite green when it comes to piping, but I think there was enough tickle in the nose during retro-hale that even the grizzled vets might notice it.
I had a pretty small bowl, my little Zavvos Zulu, and I set a few broken flake pieces out for a couple hours before rubbing out and packing the bowl. There was flavor abound for maybe the first two thirds, but I found it to get a little bitter towards the end. This may well be due to poor technique.
Overall, I really enjoyed my first bowl, and I'm looking forward to more of it.
I'm glad it was chosen for a PToM as I probably would have never experienced it otherwise!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had to pull a tin out of the cellar for this, but as you can see, it hasn't been there very long so this is probably close to a fresh tin review.

Opening the tin gives strong notes of citrus and a little bit of blueberry (which I know will become more pronounced when the tin has been open for awhile).

Removing it from the tin to rub it out and it changes quickly to smokey/BBQ smells.

It packs easily and lights well, even without a lot of dry time.

The smoke is not extremely complex, it's largely centered around the way I imagine a campfire would taste though some of the citrus from the tin note is there. As Clint mentions above, there is a little oomph to it. As someone who is waaaaaaay more a cigar smoker than a pipe smoker, I appreciate that.

I know from experience that this should be pretty consistent all the way through. If it changes up while I'm smoking, I'll come back and edit this post with further details.

Edit: Now that I've been smoking it for awhile, the citrus is becoming more pronounced and the burnt woody flavor has subsided quite a bit. There is even a hint of nuttiness.

Last edited: