What's new

nubs

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wanted to review all the nubs but I think it is just going to be maduro and Connecticut. The habano is cracked all over the place so I might try and smoke it but I do not care much for the shape or the age of the leaf.

I also noticed that I have had quite a few cigars in the past few months. And they are a much wider variety thanks to you guys. So here is a pic. These are all my cigars I have ever smoked in my life and since I started posting here. Except maybe 3 or 4.

I knew I forgot to flip a pic up right. Well it is getting full and can't wait for it to fill up completely. Slowly but surely.

Connecticut

Torpedo. Very light creamy brown with a small green spot on it near the head. Good construction and pre draw. I think torpedo is the best shape to get a nub in because they are so fat it just makes them easier to cut.

Drink cold water. Weather cool and cloudy.

First draw is nutty smooth. Spicey sweetness was most of the smoke. The hotter the spicier and the shorter the spicier. But smooth sweet nutty with spice. I did not like this cigar I smoke more full bodied, nothing like this. Smoked thick and ashes stuck.

Maduro

I was excited to smoke this one. I received it from MP. Very dark black brown colored leaf. Smells of barnyard. Torpedo. Room temp water. Cool cloudy and sunny weather.

My torch was out of fluid so I reached for my propane torch(I was in the garage) which applied more than adequate heat. Light very easily.

First draw was chocolaty. Very delicious. Barnyard after taste. Smooth sweet rich chocolate. The only problem was the draw was tight. This seems to be the problem for all my smokes either they taste bad but construction and draw is great or they taste good but construction and draw is bad.

I could not get a good draw until it was very short but by then the taste was spicy and I was not feeling like spicy today.

But the leaf was tearing as I was writing my review and I could hear it almost like a zipper. The heat just swelled it up and something ad to give. I think if this was a longer length and better draw it would have been a great smoke. 7.5/10

There they are. If I smoke the habano I will post that one too. But I doubt I will. Enjoy.

Cracked

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Good question Josh, after reading his post I was thinking the same thing my brother.

By the way, good reviews Brett! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Another great review. I tape my bands into a pocketsized notebook that way I can easily review them. I also jot down a couple notes for reminders. I usually tape them in once a week as I smoke one a day. my fiance calls it my arts and crafts time.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice review. I have one of each but still haven't tried them yet.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yeah it sounds like your humidity is way to high, I would check it and also dry box for a day or so. This cigar in particular should not have draw issues except for maybe a loose draw, IMO.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I could not get a good draw until it was very short but by then the taste was spicy and I was not feeling like spicy today.
Just an FWI, you left a good inch of that Maduro NUb unsmoked. :disappoin Not that that's incredibly wrong, just it's not very short.

I also didn't get any spice on my NUb Connecticut.

mr.drybones

"The Lung Crusher"
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to review all the nubs but I think it is just going to be maduro and Connecticut. The habano is cracked all over the place so I might try and smoke it but I do not care much for the shape or the age of the leaf.

I also noticed that I have had quite a few cigars in the past few months. And they are a much wider variety thanks to you guys. So here is a pic. These are all my cigars I have ever smoked in my life and since I started posting here. Except maybe 3 or 4.

I knew I forgot to flip a pic up right. Well it is getting full and can't wait for it to fill up completely. Slowly but surely.

Connecticut

Torpedo. Very light creamy brown with a small green spot on it near the head. Good construction and pre draw. I think torpedo is the best shape to get a nub in because they are so fat it just makes them easier to cut.

Drink cold water. Weather cool and cloudy.

First draw is nutty smooth. Spicey sweetness was most of the smoke. The hotter the spicier and the shorter the spicier. But smooth sweet nutty with spice. I did not like this cigar I smoke more full bodied, nothing like this. Smoked thick and ashes stuck.

Maduro

I was excited to smoke this one. I received it from MP. Very dark black brown colored leaf. Smells of barnyard. Torpedo. Room temp water. Cool cloudy and sunny weather.

My torch was out of fluid so I reached for my propane torch(I was in the garage) which applied more than adequate heat. Light very easily.

First draw was chocolaty. Very delicious. Barnyard after taste. Smooth sweet rich chocolate. The only problem was the draw was tight. This seems to be the problem for all my smokes either they taste bad but construction and draw is great or they taste good but construction and draw is bad.

But the leaf was tearing as I was writing my review and I could hear it almost like a zipper. The heat just swelled it up and something ad to give. I think if this was a longer length and better draw it would have been a great smoke. 7.5/10

There they are. If I smoke the habano I will post that one too. But I doubt I will. Enjoy.

Cracked

Dude, Im a creative guy whos been smoking stogies for 20+ years and NEVER have i come across such a perfect idea as your 2x4 ashtray! Killer job bro! as for your quotes...even Jesus Christ Himself (whom i am a follower of) said that religeon is a curse! Your correct (or at least ol' sigmund was). Keep on smokin and you will fill that thing in no time! By the way, is that a Cohiba Cuban label in the middle there??

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Draw problems: Get a cigar poker. Mine has saved me a TON of money on potentially wasted sticks, and now that I have it, even if the draw is slightly tight I'll poke that sucker. Also--you can always re-cut the cigar further down to get a better draw, as well as wetting and then firmly messaging the cut-end of the stick between your fingers.

Cracked wrappers:
Get some "Cigar Glue" from heartfelt.com or other places, or some pectin from a grocery store. This is what the cigar makers use to stick the wrapper together, glue the band in place, etc. etc. IT works wonders for cracked cigars and has also saved me a TON of money. There have been cigars that were totally trashed that I was able to glue together and totally enjoy.

"Hot" smoke: Smoke the cigar slower. It might sound obivous, but it really helps. Most people tend to smoke too fast, especially when they're not getting the flavors you want out of a stick. If the cigars burns too fast (too hot), the taste will become bitter and the nice flavors will get burned out.

There's my 3 cents :)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I personally think the maduro nub is the best one by far... Also adding to what njstone has stated you may want to purge(blow through the cigar with some force) the cigar in order to possibly get rid of the bitterness but my guess is you might be smoking to fast. If you smoke the NUB to fast it will get "hot" very quickly and will result in some major bitterness. Because the NUB has such a large ring gauge and is so short it tends to heat up, just sip the cigar.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Great review man!

I would still give that Habano a shot, looks like the band might have contained the crack, so it could be worth it still, will take some nursing.

Wknd.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
uhg some of you guys erk me not in a bad way but making me question weather I am tasting the right flavors. :angerhead and storage?!?!?

I would say my humidor is questionable. I do not have a digital hydro meter, it is analog. I do have beads. The beads are a about 50 50 white and clear. Little more on the white side. Er wait the nub came from my coolerdor which has beads and a thing of distilled water in it. So it maybe a little moist. I do need to get hygrometers (not the first thing on my list of things I need to buy). The temp is very close to 70. I do have a thermometer. Oh and the beads are 70% beads. And the analog (only one I have which is in the humidor) reads just above 60. But it came from the coolerdor so that doesn't matter I guess.

I do take notes too but I like to keep the bands and I think I will do a big collage once I have a ton of em.

The habano I think was just damaged when I got it. It was a freebie probably damaged in shipping or temp and humidity changes. They have not gone through extreme changes since I have had them.

Josh K- No I did not leave that much nub left. I did not take a pic at the very very end of my smoke. The maduro had less than 1 inch I was quiet surprised myself at how small I smoked it down and yet it did not burn meself.

I enjoyed these cigars, great cigars. I preferred the maduro. Both came from maybe a bit much moist RH cooler so that may have effected results. I usually smoke from my desktop humidor as that is were I have all my smokes lined up "on death row". So I will make sure to level em out right. No more smokes straight from the cooler.

Mr.drybones- thanks for the complement on my creativity I do love my 2x4 ash tray as is it very durable and well a 2x4. Can carve them and finish them any way you want. No that is not a cohiba band in there but I do have one in the coolerdor. I really do not know why I bought the thing as it is so expensive I have no urge to smoke it. But the band in there is taste of havana I believe it is just a cheap version of cohiba.

Well I think that covers everyone. Hope I did not forget anything. Thank you to everyone who replied. I hope I can figure out this humidity and spicy tasting Connecticut thing.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Check on our retailers for a hygro and some 65% beads, see which make ye merrier. Take it from the cigar budget.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I personally think the maduro nub is the best one by far... Also adding to what njstone has stated you may want to purge(blow through the cigar with some force) the cigar in order to possibly get rid of the bitterness but my guess is you might be smoking to fast. If you smoke the NUB to fast it will get "hot" very quickly and will result in some major bitterness. Because the NUB has such a large ring gauge and is so short it tends to heat up, just sip the cigar.
Yeyea I know all that jazz about purging and using a poker. I think maybe the nub is not the best size for me. I do like to smoke a little more faster. And the spicy Connecticut was probably from puffing too fast. Even the maduro was probably too hot.

Thanks for the input Nj and terran