What's new

Ok I need some help

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think I have bitten off a little more than I can chew here and would like some advice. I keep my NC's in a 300 count humidor which I have no problems with. The 5000 count cabinet for my CC is giving me a few headaches. I have an oasis II running at the bottom of the cabinet. Because, I am anal I have 3 hygrometers on each level of the humidor. They are high quality digitals that are supposed to be accurate. The problem is this...the hygrometer on the bottom closest to the humidification device reads 64% the one above 67% but the one up top reads 59%. This makes little sense to me. The oasis II has a continual fan running to prevent dry spots. Does it make sense that the middle level is the most moist? I don't want to dry out my top boxes and soak my bottom boxes. I could turn up the humidity but Im afraid my single sticks closest to the source would suffer from over humification. I'm not freaking out just yet but really want an equalized cabinet. Any suggestions or ideas?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I don't care how high quality they are...have they been tested either via a salt test or a boveda pack??

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Send me the 5000 cabinet and I will fix it for you. May take a little time or maybe even years but I'll fix it. :stretchgr

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Is there anything up top to help retain the rh?

Was is seasoned properly (passive humidification) for several days?

Is that top hygro accurate to the other ones? Always try to switch around the hygros first to check that. Swap top and bottom one.

Are there any additional fans?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Newly received boxes are mostly are stored and shipped closer to 70% rh as well could be affecting the middle shelf somewhat. More than likely the top hygro is off and needs to be calibrated like David says.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Headbanger said:
Is there anything up top to help retain the rh?

Was is seasoned properly (passive humidification) for several days?

Is that top hygro accurate to the other ones? Always try to switch around the hygros first to check that. Swap top and bottom one.

Are there any additional fans?
Some good ideas right there thank you headbanger. I "seasoned" the humidor for a week by lightly wiping down everything with distilled water. I also let two large bowls of distilled water sit at the bottom for about 10 days. I then put in the oasis II. I will switch the hygrometers around and see about accuracy. I have never tested the hygrometers though. I will do that next to see what comes up. I have cigars on the top to help retain the humidity so I don't think thats the issue. I'm starting to think it might be a hygrometer issue which kinda erks me. I only have 4 of these stupid things...which one is the most accurate? Guess I need to play with it.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Contact RonC for some Boveda packs so you don't have to screw with the salt test.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Oh sush guys...lightly wiping down the walls will not warp the wood. Soaking the wood will. I have read the pro's and con's of both and see no problem with lightly wiping the wood.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Can you rotate the stash... just in case the humidity is different, rotating would give them all equal time on a specific level...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
tobby4 said:
Can you rotate the stash... just in case the humidity is different, rotating would give them all equal time on a specific level...
Yea, I can and probably will until I figure this out. My HDM Churchill 01 are sitting on top and would cry if they crunch.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
59% isn't gonna kill them even if the hygrometer is spot on. Try putting that one on the lower level and see what it reads. Maybe theres not enough airflow up to the top or something. You could always stick a big ol sack of beads near the top to even things out too.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
joshua said:
59% isn't gonna kill them even if the hygrometer is spot on. Try putting that one on the lower level and see what it reads. Maybe theres not enough airflow up to the top or something. You could always stick a big ol sack of beads near the top to even things out too.
Yes beads up top I like that alot. Don't know why I didn't think of that.