What's new

Old humidors... and copper?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see these kinds of old humidors on craigslist etc quite a bit. They are usually quite affordable, but i find the 'copper' aspect really strange, why did they line humidors with copper back in the day? Would one give cigars a 'metallic' or penny like taste? Very interesting to me, they are usually pretty affordable, but since im not a wood worker nor have any talent for wood working, if I got one, it'd be staying exactly as i bought it aside from basic cleaning. Anyway, whats the deal? Copper good? bad? No effect?

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From my knowledge of metallurgy and rare coins, copper + humidity is BAD BAD BAD. Keep in mind copper is a highly reactive metal. Take a look at a penny (pre-1983) that has been exposed to moisture for decades. That green crust you see is oxidation (corrosion) from moisture. Not something I would want coming into contact with my cigars by any means! You are correct- I believe it would alter the flavor of the tobacco over time.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From my knowledge of metallurgy and rare coins, copper + humidity is BAD BAD BAD. Keep in mind copper is a highly reactive metal. Take a look at a penny (pre-1983) that has been exposed to moisture for decades. That green crust you see is oxidation (corrosion) from moisture. Not something I would want coming into contact with my cigars by any means! You are correct- I believe it would alter the flavor of the tobacco over time.
Very interesting, I wonder though, why does it seem that during the first half of the last century so many humidors popped up with copper linings despite this?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Very interesting, I wonder though, why does it seem that during the first half of the last century so many humidors popped up with copper linings despite this?
Probably because it was an attractive classy way to provide some sealing effect to the box. They probably didn't use much for humidification, so as long as the humidity wasn't crazy high, and no direct moisture contact on the copper, it was probably OK. Still not ideal in my mind.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper was/is thought to have antimicrobial properties. It was observed that water contained in copper vessels or transported in copper conveyance systems was of better quality (little to no visible slime or biofouling formation) than water contained or transported in other materials. So the use of copper in humidors would have been done to fight cigar mold. The effectiveness of copper as an antimicrobial is still unclear. At best copper may enhibit but not prevent some, but not all molds.