What's new

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does anyone have experience with Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year? Specifically around secondary pricing. I know the MSRP is $60, but near impossible to find. I’ve got a lead on a bottle for $380, but I have no clue if that’s in line with the resale market. I know you get screwed on the secondary market, but I’m trying to figure out just how bad I’m getting screwed. Haha Cheers!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Local B & M has it in their Bar, a 1.5 OZ shot will sent you back $125.00, to me that is crazy. I believe this particular is in high demand, short supply, and goes for big buck by anyone selling it. JMHO.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
its good - really good, but IMO not $380 good. Do yourself a favor and look for the old weller antique 107 proof - practically the same stuff
Yeah, I’m in Dallas and it pretty tough to find anything Van Winkle. I’ve thought about looking online, but I’ve read about a lot of fakes.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yeah, I’m in Dallas and it pretty tough to find anything Van Winkle. I’ve thought about looking online, but I’ve read about a lot of fakes.
again, my opinion, but for the money, there is alot of great whiskey out there that is cheaper - much cheaper. Pappy is great if you can get it at normal MSRP, but I would never spend the big bucks for it in secondary

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That makes $380 for a whole bottle sound like a steal!
Let say this particular B & M is very pricy, honeslty there is a Bar I am told the same drink in Scottsdale, AZ is $25.00 -$30.00. People who have to have something hard to get will over pay for that privdledge of ownership, or expierence that is what people do.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Secondary market is horrific for the more HTF bottles IMHO. I’ve seen bottles go for double or triple that price. And of course, there’s even fakes out there.

That price is what I’ve seen in the wild at 2 liquor stores here in NY. And a George T Stagg for $800.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Agree with you about Blanton's. Good stuff, and reasonably affordable.
The problem I have with high end bourbon is most are single barrel, and so of course they vary a little. I've had bottles of 4 Roses, Eagle Rare, Blantons, etc that we're fantastic. And I've had some that were good.
Paying $50 and taking your chances is one thing. Paying hundreds makes me nervous.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agree with you about Blanton's. Good stuff, and reasonably affordable.
The problem I have with high end bourbon is most are single barrel, and so of course they vary a little. I've had bottles of 4 Roses, Eagle Rare, Blantons, etc that we're fantastic. And I've had some that were good.
Paying $50 and taking your chances is one thing. Paying hundreds makes me nervous.
I actually found a local speakeasy bar that had some HTF bourbons- few from the pappy line, Old Forester bday bourbons ‘13 through ‘17 and Four Roses. I got to finish off the 2016 bottle of OFBB since there wasn’t much left and got to take the empty bottle home since they were just going to toss it.

After reading all that non-sense I typed above, my best advice to you is bar hop and see what’s out there at some local spots and readily available to you at your local liquor stores. IMHO, should you get lucky and find something HTF, pay a little more for a pour and see if you really think it’s worth a chase and of course if your funds allow. If not, well it’s still awesome to say “hey I got to try pappy van winkle or old forester BB.”

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but I was enjoying all of the WL Weller products in the 80s and 90s.
I have tasted as many newer releases as possible and they are all vile compared to what they were producing before they got bought out.
Outrageous secondary market prices are obscene, especially for something that is just not that good to start with.
Rant over.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but I was enjoying all of the WL Weller products in the 80s and 90s.
I have tasted as many newer releases as possible and they are all vile compared to what they were producing before they got bought out.
Outrageous secondary market prices are obscene, especially for something that is just not that good to start with.
Rant over.
I've actually heard this exact same thing from many other, uh... old dudes. (y)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was just out to dinner with the wife tonight and the restaurant had a bottle of this so naturally I asked how much a pour would cost... $60. hard pass.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Old rip is a good 80 dollar bottle. And that’s about it. Great bourbon for 80 dollars. Stop chasing pipe dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Imo for 380 not a good deal but for what it goes in the secondary market it is in tune with what you would pay if you plan on just looking at the bottle. I would much rather visit a bar and pay 100-125 a shot to see if it was something you would enjoy. Nothing worse than blind buying a bottle to find out its a bottle of shit just sayin

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Local B & M has it in their Bar, a 1.5 OZ shot will sent you back $125.00, to me that is crazy. I believe this particular is in high demand, short supply, and goes for big buck by anyone selling it. JMHO.
$125 for the 10 year? That's probably in line with 23 year pricing!