On the leather steeds they ride
They have come to take your life
On through the dead of night
With the four Horsemen ride
or choose your fate and die
^anything from Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
^ The last couple of days I've gone through this thread reading some of the posted lyrics, and listening to some of the things said in this music. While I'm a musician and I respect all art, I have to say (and this is just me) I do find some of the racist terms a bit offensive....

Again, this is just my opinion. I don't mean to offend anyone here.
I think you're freerollin' around here, Joel -- nobody is offended by you voicing your opinion. To me the racist terms (I assume you're talking about the N-word) were a way of disarming the power of the word. Take it back from the oppressors so it can't hurt you. For me the hip-hop culture of the late 80's and early 90's gave voice to feelings of being an outsider or a misfit. I'm as white as they come, about that let there be no doubt -- but there was power in those words...anger, defiance, etc., and that part of it resonated with me during that era. I'm sure you recognize some of that youthful rebellion in heavy metal, too -- I know I did. And punk rock.

Now, I personally feel that hiphop is mostly garbage these days, but back in those days it was the most vibrant thing going. That may also be a product of the fact that I'm now old.

Having typed all of this, I hope that nobody is offended by my opinion either.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
No way am I offended that's what we do here we offer our opinions as long as it's done respectfully that's what spurs debate. I'll admit there is some good rap but a lot of it is crap. The older stuff before the cussing just took over was better in my opinion.