What's new

Old-timey Cigar Stuff

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been a tad obsessed with old cigar documents and art since I started reading cigar journals from the 1800s and early 1900s, courtesy books.google. I think it was @Gdaddy that aimed me down that rabbit hole with his talk of petuning and our mutual interest in the ancient methods of turning shitweed into smokeable product (starting with Bentley's little tobacconists' book, circa 1887). I've intended to do a separate Tumblr from my normal bliss cigar photos one, just for vintage stuff, some of which I might eventually turn into a t-shirt, print, and mug or two. Anyhow, in this thread I'm going to repost the stuff that I also post on my various cigar Tumblrs. Starting with this little number:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From a document called Hearings before the Committee on Finance, USA Senate, on the proposed Tariff Act of 1921 (H.R. 7456).
For those who don't know, a Clear Havana cigar was a stick made in the USA with Cuban filler and binder, but not wrapper. It's interesting to me in that it implies that CT Shade came about as a way to try to get closer to Cuban wrapper. I also like the math, herein, which shows that the US had an annual production 8.4 billion cigars at that time. Our population was about 106 million, or about 79 cigars per capita per year.

Last edited: