What's new

Olympic Golf

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just turned it on this morning. And I'm trying to decide if I'm excited about it or not. I love watching golf, but where does competing for an Olympic medal rank in the golf world? Obviously some of the worlds top players don't think it's as big as a major, since they didn't show up.

I'm sure I would rather watch the Masters, US Open, British Open, PGA and probably the Players Champ more than the Olympics.

So where does Olympic gold stand in the golf world for you, as a fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Anything that will potentially bring my generation to the game I love makes me happy. If fowler can bring home the gold it would be a lot of fun

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'd definitely rather watch a Major. Nobody skips those unless they're hurt. But I also think the exposure, at any level, is great for the game & I'll tune in as time allows.

I'm sure the bragging rights will still be fun though. "Oh, you won The Open? Cool. How many Gold Medals do you have?"

There's only going to be 1 guy in the world that can claim the latter after next week.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
To me, it ranks below the majors, below the Ryder Cup, below the Fed Ex Cup, and below the WGC match play championship. I am excited to watch it though, especially if any of our boys are fighting for the win.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I'll stick with the next olympics it being a huge thing. But this tournament sucks and the course looks boring. At least on tv it's boring. I don't know if it's a lack of a gallery or what but I've found it very hard to watch so far.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'll stick with the next olympics it being a huge thing. But this tournament sucks and the course looks boring. At least on tv it's boring. I don't know if it's a lack of a gallery or what but I've found it very hard to watch so far.
Agreed. This tournament looks like it is being played in front of about two dozen spectators. The golfers don't look that into it as well. It's been like watching a practice round.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If Bubba could make a run I'd be more interested. But he's a long way back.

So far I agree @Kantucky. Little boring. Curious to see how the weekend shakes out.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Came down to the last green, can't be much better. Still felt like it was lacking something.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Or maybe just Paulina Gretzky waiting on 18?

Well, since DJ didn't even bother to go that might have been difficult. Rickie Fowler's girlfriend could have given us a show, though. She certainly made his Player's Championship victory more interesting.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just didn't have a major championship feel to me. Don't know what I expected thou.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I know what you mean. I think it was all about the format. A match play tournament would have been better. With so many top players out, it seemed more like one of those off tournament events with a weak field.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
The somewhat exciting finish kind of saved a boring format. Stensen and Rose neck and neck with Kuchar charging. They should have found a way to include a team competition as well as an individual. They could have easily paired up 2 from each country and done a better ball for team competition then also have an individual. Making it a 72 hole tournament like most weeks on tour was rather lame. Here's where it ranks for me.

The Masters
US Open/British Open (tie)
Ryder Cup
Players Championship
WGC Events
Presidents Cup
Olympics
PGA Championship

So just above the PGA Championship, which ain't sayin much.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah I agree @craigmac. Some sort of team aspect would be good. I mean gymnastics finds a way to have individual and team medals.