What's new

?? on cedar boxes for aging

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I have some of the beautiful cedar boxes from Cigarmony and am going to transfer some smokes from dressed boxes into these for aging.

My question is this: Cigar manufacturers wrap their bundles in wax paper before placing in cabs and dressed boxes are paper lined...so should I layer some wax paper around the cigars when they are placed in the cedar boxes? I'm guessing that the paper must keep the wood cabinets from absorbing the oils that migrate outward into the wrapper as the cigar ages. What do you think...do I use the wax paper, or just place the smokes into the boxes directly against the cedar?

Any and all opinions are appreciated, thanks!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'd just place them in there and not get too technical with it. But then again, that's just me. I figure if it's good enough with other cabs, then it's good enough for me.

Edit - I have seen some of that wax paper stuff wrapped on the outside. And I think the only thing that would change is the cigars might be a bit more cedery if you didn't use it.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Not an expert, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

Most of the paper I've seen is more like a vellum paper than a wax paper. If you decide to use paper for the aging, you may want to consider parchment paper instead of wax. There may be a possibility of transferring some of the wax residue onto the wrappers if they're in contact for an extended period. I'd probably delete the paper altogether. Just my opinion though.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I just put them directly in the box. My assumption was always that the wrapping was to prevent chaffing of the cigars in transit and when moving around. If they are going to sleep for a while, they should be fine. 2 cents

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Good question, never heard that one asked for this reason. If I were buy these boxes, I think I would add mine in without anything. Only other thing I would do is soon as you smoke enough from another dress box or cab, use the whatever paper they use. Dub might be right, seems to be vellum.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think it is more like parchment paper like Act said.

Hell I would put them right in the box though