What's new

One Hit Wonders

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if some more experienced smokers have ever had a cigar that was magical the first time they smoked it and then never have it reach the same heights no matter how many of them you've smoked since. For me I was struggling in school at Syracuse and needed to have a moment to gather myself and figure out what I was going to do with my life. I decided to do that over a cigar. I knew nothing about them at the time and bought a flor de las Antilles because that's what cigar aficionado said was the best that year and that's what noobs do. I got it from Rocky's cigars, smoked it and it was phenomenal - I'll never forget how sweet and creamy it was. It was THE cigar that got me hooked on cigars. Problem is I've never had one close since. Don't get me wrong they're really good and I enjoy them still but I must have smoked 50 of them but not one has approached the level of that first one. Has anyone else experienced this?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have found that the circumstances that surround a cigar experience often weigh just as heavily as the cigar taste itself, especially early on. The cigars I had on my wedding eve with my buds out back of my parent’s house seemed to be the best in the world. I cant’s even tell you what they were. OK, It was 26 years ago, someone else brought them and I thought Macanudo were da bomb at the time. Life was hitting me at a thousand miles an hour so they could have been White Owls for all I know.

The moment can elevate a cigar in your in your mind. Try it later and it you think WTF?

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
i like to think that a relationship with tobacco is unique for most. all kinds of people smoke tobacco for several different reasons. for me being part of my relaxation ritual before bed mostly or after work to let go of all that has happend that day, no reason to carry that around for too long might make ya a little bitter. it seems this is what happened in your perdiciment, a very stressful situation. might grab some to age you never know what will happen

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Banksy, it could be the age of the cigars, smoking conditions, rh level, your state of mind while smoking, etc. etc. But this happened to me a lot the first couple years after I got serious about cigars. I had smoked a few a year since I was 18, but a buddy got me into smoking more regularly with some true premium cigars. The deal-breaker was the 5 Vegas Miami, back when they were made by the Garcia Family. The Rocky Patel Fusion also comes to mind, which was originally blended by AJ Fernandez before he had a name in the biz--that thing rocked my world! I then had a lot of Rocky's, CAOs, and a host of others that I LOVED at first, and then lost my taste for. I thought this was so strange, and then the guys on here told me that your palate changes over time. I didn't really believe them then, but I do now, lol.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have found that the circumstances that surround a cigar experience often weigh just as heavily as the cigar taste itself...
I could not agree more! My favorite cigar moment was in 2009 when I was smoking some sort of regular production Arturo Fuente and my dad was smoking a Kuba Kuba. The reason it was special is it was the first time dad and I smoked cigars together and he actually liked it. I had tried for years to get him to try cigars and he always hated it - said it made his mouth feel like he made out with an ashtray. But that evening, he liked it and I loved the moment.

I've never like Kuba Kuba and the Fuente wasn't anything great itself, but the circumstances made it amazing.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I agree that circumstances and events can make a difference. But I also think it is possible the difference may also be in the tobacco leaf used. Something introduced using the best leaf and as the blend is around a while the quality of leaf used may be different. I don't know this for sure, just throwing it out there. I am sure the crop differs from year to year to some noticeable degree.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Several cigars have given me that "AHA" moment and then after buying a box of them the Manufacturer stopped making them...like the AJ Fernandez Signature...I loved that cigar! Then along comes several others that were made for a few years....then they went away as well...Capoeira from Famous Smokes. I agree that smoking a cigar in an environment has as much to do with enjoyment as anything else...I have great memories of smoking cigars in Gibraltar....Rome....Normandy....Portugal and a few other places around the world only to come home and try to recreate that nostalgia and taste...only to fall short.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
one of the best cigars I have ever had was an Opus X back in 2001 when they were in limited productions. The most awesome smoke. Next was a 1976 tubed Romeo y Juliet. Aged 25 years and was literally orangish yellow when I untubed it. Tasted like a wonderful display of peppercorn ranch dressing and cream. It was very amazing.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Every cigar I had after I realized I was buying super cheap shit on cigar bid that was cheap for a reason. I wasn't a part of any forum, or did any research. I just knew it was affordable for me so in my mind they were good cigars. Once I joined here and would see some of the stuff smoked I'd go out and try some of it, and realized how much I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
To address your question without getting into environment, circumstances, etc, etc....yes, there have been cigars I have smoked that were amzing the first time, and even if they were good later, were never "that good" again. Two that come to mind right off the top of my head were the '08 RyJ Duke EL and the ;07 PL Robusto RE.