What's new

Open Carry

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Open carry is the shit, but you can't do it everywhere. I hardly do it anymore, because I can only conceal carry at college. I believe that open carry would work if everyone did it, but too many people are scared of guns. To me, open carry is more of an active deterrent to crime, whereas concealed carry is a response to crime. I have pulled up to gas stations while open carrying early in the a.m. (going hunting) and had some pretty shady-looking dudes pull up, get out, get back in their car, and bounce. Usually I only open carry at night, when I'm going hunting/backpacking, or in a bad part of town. It definitely prevents crime more than concealed carry. And I have yet to hear of anyone taking a gun from a civilian who is open carrying. I always use a thumb break holster when open carrying as well, but that seems obvious to me! In a super-crowded area or some place where you are constantly standing close to other people it can get to be a hassle (keeping a good watch over the gun and others, keeping your arm down at your side over the gun, etc.).

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I'll do it every once in a great while in the winter when I am wearing a coat. I pocket carry most of the time, so there is no need to OC for me.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
As Tyler said people are scared of guns. I would rather just conceal and not deal with the cops being called because of some scared paranoid idiot. I can do it in PA but I guarantee they would be all over me in a matter of seconds. The only place in PA you cannot open carry is "a city of the first class" or whatever that means. The only place I think qualifies as a "city of the first class" is Philadelphia. I try to avoid that place regardless of carrying or not, I hate Philly.

So I have the option and I chose not to exercise that right. There have been incidents here in the past where people open carried to the a soccer game and it turned into a huge fiasco. Mind you the soccer game was not on school property but there was discussion as to whether the school grounds restrictions should apply. Woman lost her gun temporarily and her license to carry. She ended up getting shot and killed by her ex-husband she was carrying to protect herself from.

So I choose to conceal to avoid ridiculous law enforcement, judges, and other citizens. I would like to keep my license and gun. They might be wrong in taking the license/gun but that doesn't mean you'll get it back right away. In my opinion an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure in this case.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It depends on the time and place. At a gun show to let the other guys see your prize weapon, sure. But in everyday life, no thanks.
I'll put my trust in the element of concealment and, if needed, surprise. Not letting others know that I have a weapon on me is the best defense that I have off duty. Most people know that LEO's carry BUGs ... they just don't know where and that helps. Same goes for off duty carry, no one knows you're carrying and that's always a plus in any given situation (for me).

Does open carrry negate the application for a permit? If the answer is yes, that be why so many are for it, they don't have to pay or submit to the background checks.

But like everything else ... to each his own.

Stay safe, stay armed.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
...I'll put my trust in the element of concealment and, if needed, surprise. Not letting others know that I have a weapon on me is the best defense that I have off duty. Most people know that LEO's carry BUGs ... they just don't know where and that helps. Same goes for off duty carry, no one knows you're carrying and that's always a plus in any given situation (for me)...
I completely agree with this which is why I never open carry.

God forbid something happens, I don't want to be the first target because I'm carrying.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you will need a permit to do it? Just like concealed carry? And if so can you also conceal carry or is it open carry only? As the police I like the idea of open carry, seeing it is much better then not seeing it. I also think it would keep people from trying to lie, cheat, and steal from people carrying.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
No permit to OC here in Colorado, although cities/businesses can ban it if they want. There are a couple cities here where you can only conceal carry (with a permit, of course). Also, you can open carry when you're 18 I believe. It's really not that unusual to see people carrying guns up here, but in more crowded states it can be awkward.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not true. The ticket would never hold up in court. All you would have to do is cite the statute in the Ohio constitution.

This is true, but it still won't get you the two to three hours you spend w/ the local authorities while they figure out what to do and give you a ticket and haul you downtown.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm definitely for it, whether you would choose to OC or not, there shouldn't ever be a law to take away your Constitutional right. I'm a believer of CCW, but that's only because I feel more comfortable that way. To each his own ... but still happy to have the option.

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
AZ has always allowed open carry without a permit, and concealed carry with a permit.
Last year we went to concealed carry without a permit.

I have my CCW and will keep it current even though I dont need to anymore (mainly for the added benefits of having it).

I would say about 99.9% of the time I have my gun on me, I carry concealed. Honestly, the only time I open carried on a regular basis was before I got my CCW permit (when it was still required).

That being said...I'm all for any form of carry and am in favor of states actually giving rights back to the people instead of taking them away...Good on ya Florida!!!

gunbuyer76

Drew Estate Sam
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I prefer the element of semi suprise, but I do applaud everyone that open carries. I want the least amount of police involvement i need.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being from nj, I'm not too into guns. I don't care if you cary openly or concealed once you have your permits. I believe in strong gun control and a waiting period. That's the short and sweet version.