What's new

Open Enrollment - Tobacco User Fees

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So as health care costs continue to rise and insurance rates along with it, so do companies look to try and offset and lower costs as much as possible. The company I work for has pushed over the past few years for healthier lifestyles (gym membership, weight watchers programs, health screening, etc) by offering discounted fees and credits for getting assessments done. This year is a bit of a doozy for many people I think... and one that has me clearly trying to decide which way to go. Namely... if you declare yourself a tobacco user (cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chew, e-cigs, etc) you will pay a $50/month tobacco user fee. If you enroll in a cessation program by mid next year the fee will be waived. Non tobacco users do not have to pay the fee.

So I'm left with the quandry. I smoke very little.. 1-2 cigars a week in the summer, 1-2 a month in the winter (less outside time to smoke). Is it worth an extra $50/month to continue to enjoy this social outlet for myself? Is it worth giving up the years of cigars I have saved up for rainy days, celebrations, and good times?

What do you all think? What would you do?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
skip it for a couple months, then get your blood work. when it comes back clean, and you get the hook up on the insurance, pull something nice out of the humi and reward yourself while trying to forget people who want to dictate lifestyle choices to others.

o)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It's nothing but B.S. and I personally wouldn't say I smoked cigars, cigarettes or chew are a little different in my opinion due to the inhalation and added chemicals. Just my $.02. You'll know my pov from looking at quotes

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
For once I have to agree with the side of business. If my company asked me 2 I would pay a reasonable fee based off salary a year. Insurance is the leading cause of increased operating cost for most business. Wether private or public sectors. It's our right to choose to smoke and protect that freedom. It's their right to keep costs down. Cancer isn't cheap.....
Did that just come from my mouth?????

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They can offer incentives to work out, but you can be skinny with a shitty diet and end up with a higher risk of heart attack or blood pressure problems than someone overweight. Are they going to charge a premium for people that play sports? You are more likely to cost the company money through injuries if you are athletic. I'm not saying they shouldn't have the right to price adjust health plans, but if they are going to use the argument that they need to charge you based upon the likelihood you will cost them money, then they need to be targeting everyone that is going to cost them extra money. Most of the time this it isn't about costs, its about someone unfairly targeting smokers. Yes, we know cigars are bad for us, but so is driving a car, riding in a plane, playing soccer, riding a motorcycle, or eating fast food. Does your company charge additionally for those as well?

Last edited:

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Wtf?! Is this shit for real? This is happening in my f&#$%ing country! Someone needs a ass whooping!
That's the market in action, dude. You can always take your business elsewhere...

</troll> :)

-Charles
I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by "take your business elsewhere". :scratchhe

If you work for a company your only choices are to accept their insurance or get private health insurance. Private health insurance is FAR more expensive. I am self employed and currently pay just under $1000 per month for me and my wife. I am not currently rated as a tobacco user but if I were it would be another $250 per month. Yes there is another choice but it is not very palatable.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
My company would fold. The entire office chews, most all of the guys on the road smoke, and all the big wigs smoke cigars. I haven't had a sick day in the 8 years that I've been with the company, and I've smoked for most of that.

That said, check around on the insurance. My life insurance didn't go up at all when I told them I smoke cigars. It's noted very clearly on my policy that I'm a frequent cigar smoker. I took the physical, the blood work shows nicotine, no issues. If you can't get around it, it's just like I was told when I was tire shopping "You gotta pay big, to play big." This is a luxury item, and part of a lifestyle choice.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It's none of their damn business what I do to my body!!!

Oh God, I sound like a 16 year old girl now. :laugh:

But on a serious note, I would not volunteer that information unless I absolutely had to!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like we work for the same company, lol. The thing that bugs me is the broad generalizations they're making. Not to offend anyone here but there is a clear distinction between a cigar a month and 4 a day. Yet they don't care if you're a frequent or infrequent smoker, you pay the same either way.

This is one of the few things I don't have a problem admitting to regarding my body to my company, as it is a lifestyle choice and acknowledged health risk, but I think the fee should be scaled to risk level.

:confused::banghead:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insurance and health care are FOR PROFIT. Tobacco use cuts into their bottom line so they charge more. Market forces at work.

Personally, I think all the insurance companies should be put out of business.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Health Insurance is so fraught with waste and abuse on all levels.
In this case, a simple yes or no tobacco user question-
Yes and your charged the hardcore cigarette chain smoker rate?
Thats abuse in my book.
No question about it, Id check no.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wow... I post this last night, come back tonight and LOTS of replies. I've talked with some of the folks at work who are occasional cigar imbibers as well. I however think I will pony up the extra $50/month. What really got me for it was reading the fine print. By saying I am a Non-Tobacco user I won't get charged. But if it was ever found out that I am a tobacco user and didn't report it, potential disciplinary measures up to and including loss of health insurance. For myself and my family it's just not worth the risk. And the non fine print, something that was brought up by someone I know... there is always that possibility down the road that, should I declare a non-tobacco user, and I end up with some smoking related illness... they could even refuse to cover treatment because I declared non-tobacco user.

It does suck... but it's business. And the company isn't doing it to be dicks. They are in the business of making money and for tobacco users it costs an extra $1200/year to insure tobacco users. So they want those tobacco users to cover some of the cost ($600/year). It sucks... but I'd rather be cautious.