What's new

Opinions on Vapor Barrier

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I am currently building my walk in sized at 5x8x8. I am getting conflicting information on the use of a vapor barrier. In some cases I am reading that you should always use one. If used to have enough space to if any condensation occurs it will not touch the sheetrock. To me that just sounds like a bad idea.

My current plan with help from Vegan is such

Outside - Sheetrock - Insulation - Green Board - Mud/Tape - Primer - Spanish Cedar - Inside

I would love any opinions or ideas on the subject.

Thanks again,

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I mean a true vapor bearer along the line of Tyvek or Simple Solutions plastic barriers. Something that would be extra to make it almost air tight.

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
You don't want condensation forming against your wall. I'm not sure it would be a good idea in this case.

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Outside - Sheetrock - Insulation - Green Board - Mud/Tape - Primer - Spanish Cedar - Inside

I would love any opinions or ideas on the subject.

Thanks again,
Just a question. If your going to cover it with Spanish Cedar, why do you need to bother with the green board and mud/tape. Its a lot of hassle. In addition green board is just moisture resistant. Most showers now use cement board.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
None, get ahold of closed sell insulation. Spray stud cavities, then cement board (fiberock) then Spanish cedar wall. Complete thermal and sealed area that is naturally mold inhibitant IMO.
Layers:
outside drywall
then studs
spray foam closed
cement board
then cedar.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Tyvek housewrap & Craft paper on insulation are both vapor barriers.
The "green" board (or yellow in the south) is moisture and algea (mold)resistant.

I would possibly put some tyvek bt the greenboard/insulation or bt insulation/sheetrock.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Why the cement board? IF I stick with the current configuration what are the pro's and con's from your point of view? Do you think having a completely air tight room is better than a somewhat breathable?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Why the cement board? IF I stick with the current configuration what are the pro's and con's from your point of view? Do you think having a completely air tight room is better than a somewhat breathable?
The moisture is taken out of the picture with cement board. If you where going to tile walls in your kitchen or bathroon would you use Gypsum?????
No, you would use Permabase (cementboard). It takes the issue of moisture and mold out of the equation. also no need for mud , tape or plastering of any kind. I also will stand much more abuse. Just my 2 cents.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Tom,

Herein lies the beauty AND the curse of this board....You will get soooooo many conflicting opinions on this!

In the end, just do what you think is best.