What's new

Opus and Cedar Wrapping = Mold?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
wipe and go on.....that is what I do. I have never had any mold problems with cedar sheathed fuentes though......hmmm

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
never had mold on my opus's (opii?). anejos are another story. I don't think I've had one yet that hasn't had mold at some point. I just gotta check them monthly.

mr.drybones

"The Lung Crusher"
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stir the air in your humi more often. thats what fixed it for me a long time ago. just open up your humi and leave it open for a few minutes. play with your cigars a bit from time to time...they like to be moved around a bit. never had an opus though...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I noticed you said tin, but I am not sure if you kept them in it in your humi. I personally never keep my cigars in the tube or tin if they come in one. I find that these are for whatever reason mold growing magnets. I don't fully take the cigars out of the tube put I keep the tube lids off and pull the cigars out a tiny bit to help air get to them. I don't know if anyone else ever notices finding mold on tubo cigars, I just seem to see it more often then cello'd or naked cigars.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yes I said tin. These are the 3 robusto Opus tins with individually wrapped sticks packaged in a 3fer tin

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I noticed you said tin, but I am not sure if you kept them in it in your humi. I personally never keep my cigars in the tube or tin if they come in one. I find that these are for whatever reason mold growing magnets. I don't fully take the cigars out of the tube put I keep the tube lids off and pull the cigars out a tiny bit to help air get to them. I don't know if anyone else ever notices finding mold on tubo cigars, I just seem to see it more often then cello'd or naked cigars.
I think they tend to overhumidify tubed cigars because many see it as storage device not the temporary transport device it is intended to be. i don't mind the opus tins as they don't seal very well and still allow some air movement. Again I keep my humi a little on the conservative side at 65

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
So along the same lines, I just opened the box fo 8-5-8 sun grown that is supposed to be 8 yrs old (Cello was not yellow, but whatever). Sticks look great..

Took of the cedar wrapper and BAM, two big white spots of mold.....

I think this cedar wrapper stuff may not be a good thing

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I had some problems when I kept my humidor over 70%, but haven't had any since I went closer to 65%. What I have noticed though is in a Temp Controled humidor, to watch out for metal tins, seems when you open the humidor up and let the warm moist air in, it's a spot for condensation.