What's new

Opus n00b here

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've alway wanted to try an Opus X but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems there is a much larger variety that I originally thought. Is there a decent breakdown of each the varitals by flavor/strength/etc?

Better yet, for someone who loves the entire Liga line, Oliva V, etc what would be a good recommendation?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I enjoy the cedar wrapped corona gorda (can't recall the name). However, it takes some time in the humi to really open up. Been my experience that you can be pretty disappointed smoking opus cigars when they are fresh, particularly when you consider about how much they cost.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
my three fave's are the fuente fuente (6x46 CG), the petite lancero, and the belicoso xXx (or power ranger, IDK where that came from but it stuck), but i love them all.

and, yes, time will reward you on opi. i like them ROTT, but six months makes a world of difference, and a year more so.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
the belicoso xXx (or power ranger, IDK where that came from but it stuck).
I've always wondered that as well!

I have a couple, both gifted to me by BOTLs elsewhere. I'm trying to let them get to a year, but my patience is wearing thin!!!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I see you said you like the Oliva V ~ me too. It is my go to smoke. That being said, i smoked my first Opus when they came out this past Christmas. I wasn't even a little impressed with it. I have a few more aging so i hope they do get better with time.

I can tell you that i love Fuente Anejo's. They are suppose to be the same as an Opus X but with a different wrapper. To me they taste nothing alike though so the wrapper must really make the cigar.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually, anejo are mostly opus, but maybe a little don carlos or hemmi, in the filler, with CBL aged in used sherry or cognac casks for the wrapper. good luck finding out the 7 herbs and spices on any high end fuente, though. oh, and are crazy delicious!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've had a few Opus' over the years, but I'm not the type who likes to deal with the rarity or the prices that Opus fans deal with. For the price of some Opus cigars, I'm buying a box, or half a box, of what I consider a superior cigar. But, to each their own.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Personally, I love Opus. They have been my favorite NC cigar for a long time now. The best sizes to me are the Perfecxion No. 4, Petit Lancero, and Double Corona. That said, with 3-5 years age, most all of them are fantastic. They are full bodied cigars, but the flavor profile is very different from the super full cigars that are popular now (because it is a Dominican Puro, where most of the powerhouses today are Nicaraguan). To me, Opus is all about Oily Leather, Cinnamon, and Dried Fruit flavors. The strength is also sneaky. It really hits you AFTER you finish smoking it, in my experience.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
See, I am not big into strength though. I like lots of flavor, but I don't like the nicotine hit. I think this is one reason I'm not big into the My Father sticks. I got a ton of strength after I was done. Made me sick.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
See, I am not big into strength though. I like lots of flavor, but I don't like the nicotine hit. I think this is one reason I'm not big into the My Father sticks. I got a ton of strength after I was done. Made me sick.
Then Opus aren't for you. Give at least one a try if you can get it for MSRP, see how you do with it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Where can I find what MSRP is? I am pretty sure when I come across them here in DFW, they are marked up like crazy.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Suggest starting with a larger size like the DC or RDC. They aren't as strong as say the #5, #4, or the power ranger.