What's new

Opus X Acquisition Strategy

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Want some Fuente Fuente Opus X cigars? A full box? No problem; try eBay.

Although the stated policy of the auction site is not to offer tobacco products for sale, it’s open season on Opus X. Over the past couple of weeks, 56 separate lots of Opus X cigars have sold on eBay, including:

• A full box of 29 Opus X Super Belicosos (5 1/2 inches by 52 ring gauge) drew 16 bids from a Las Vegas seller and ended with a final bid of $611.99. That’s an average of $21.10 per cigar, a nice increase over the $11.50 suggested retail price.

• A second box of Super Belicosos from the same seller earned 10 bids and a final total of $575.00, or $19.83 per cigar.

• A box of Opus X Robustos (5 1/4 x 50) drew six bids and a final price of $605.00 or $20.86; the suggested retail price is $10.50.

• A box of 32 Opus X Fuente Fuentes (5 5/8 x 46) collected nine bids and a hammer price of $511.00 or $15.97 each. The retail price? $9.00.

Oh, yes, there was a sale of a single cigar – an Opus X Chili Pepper with a curved, pointed head – in a cedar coffin that drew a final price of $52.99!

The Opus X line isn’t the only cigar which has become a favorite on eBay. A sealed box of 25 Partagas 150 Signature Series AA (7 1/2 x 49) drew nine bids and a $378.00 final bid and a box of 25 Partagas 150 Signature Series A (6 3/4 x 43) earned 17 bids and a final price of $280.00.

And it’s not over. At one count there were 18 Opus X lots on sale on eBay, including seven full boxes! How is this possible? Some enterprising seller found the key by promoting the cigar bands as collectible and, of course, their value is greatest while still attached to the cigars they represent. Since then, that’s the way they appear on eBay, to the delight of those who want to buy these cigars more than two at a time . . . if your retailer has any.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've often wondered if eBay would allow sales of C-4 ... as long as it was still in the original (and collectible) wrapper.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
This is one of those things that for some reason just pisses me off. Not so much that someone is selling a sampler of Opus, but I have to believe there are times where someone acquires a full box of Opus via nice gesture from a retailer or another forum member, then goes to e-bay to make their killing. I've seen autographed full boxes of Opus being sold, now you know the Fuentes gifted those. Not to mention just e-bay in general not having the balls to close those auctions. The selling of tobacco and alcohol is against e-bay policies...unless they can collect huge final value fees, then they'll turn their head to the sale of "collectible packaging."

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yeah, I agree with Wade.
I've blasted on ebay before about this. Have submitted several emails, with no return correspondence. Total bullshit.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm all for free markets and supply/demand and such, so don't have an issue with these on eBay.

Go to fatwallet.com or slickdeals.com around Thanksgiving, and see the livid posts about "greedy" people snatching up tons of the best Black Friday deals and reselling them on eBay. Personally, I think there are easier ways to make money, but eBay puts that new opportunity in the hands of anyone. I think that's ultimately a good thing. You're free to pursue the that opportunity too... :)

I've been looking for a low mileage '93-'95 Porsche 928 GTS for a few years. There's a guy out there that buys up the few that go on the market, spit polishes them, tacks on $25k, and puts them on eBay. It makes me crazy, but that's the beauty of living in a free society. I'm free to beat him to the next one, and pay or not pay his price if he gets there first...again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope this post doesn't cause them to stop doing this on ebay. I just can't believe people will pay 5-6 times the regular price for a cigar!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I can agree that Capitalism is KING, but either have a policy or don't.

Volusinator, Send me 10 Opus Bands and an Opus Box and I'll put the bands around some dog rockets and sell just the bands and box as collectors items. I'll split the profits with you. Let's see if anyone gets pissed when they recieve a box of swischers with Opus bands on them. As long As I describe it accurately there can't be a complaint. Now that's capitalism.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Now now fellas. As BOTL's we are above the chicanery that is eBay. I for one would never buy cigars off of eBay. While I respect Free Enterprise, I do believe in Buyer Beware and having been a member of this body for the short time that I have, I would only trsut members on here.

That is just me.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I wouldn't purchase anything type of cigar on ebay unless you are interested in purchasing a fake.

Just think about, these are rare cigars, how the hell do people obtain boxes? I'll tell you, they make them.

I 'm not just saying this, because I know a guy who purchase chili peppers from a guy who had a 99.99% rating and when we got them we found out they were fake.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I'm all for free markets and supply/demand and such, so don't have an issue with these on eBay.
I don't either, my issue is that e-bay has a no tobacco selling policy, but then they allow it because the seller is selling the "collectible bands" while the "tobacco is not for consumption." Other than that, hey, if someone wants to purchase that much over MSRP, go ahead. Just don't be selling them if they were gifted to you in the first place!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1