What's new

Opus X Power Ranger Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
For cigar enthusiasts, there are truly few better things in life than sitting down on the beach under the setting with their favorite libation in hand and a good smoke to put fire to, all the while just taking in the view - or perhaps thats just my relaxation fantasy, you can insert your own as you see fit. On the other hand, if you haven’t been able to make it there yet – like myself – there isn’t any reason you can’t act like you already have. So, to celebrate the start of my pseudo-vacation, I've decided to do exactly that.

Up for review today is a somewhat rare cigar, though not so hard to find if you know where to look – The Fuente Fuente Opus X xXx or “Power Ranger” courtesay of Bob (hdroadglide). Upon looking up the background of this cigar, I was met with relatively little information other than the fact that this little belicoso - like all Opus X cigars – was blended purely from Dominican tobaccos, grown from Cuban hybrid seeds and wrapped in the infamous Opus X Rosado.
At first appearances, I have trouble getting over the size of this cigar. It isn’t overwhelmingly on the short side at 4 5/8 x 49, but for a belicoso, it is somewhat smaller than I am accustomed too. Size aside, the cigar is beautiful, the wrapper – a light caramel brown colour – is just about perfect, no visible imperfections or sunspots and the a filler that produces a “just right” feel, a quality that seems to be standard amongst the Opus X I’ve smoked.

Pre light: Taking off roughly a half inch off the “shoulder” of this belicoso, I’m impressed by how clean the cut is. The draw is ample and carries a pleasing spice that at first greets the tongue and then settles on to the palate there after, earthy undertones and mild tobacco are also present. Fragrances from the foot and body produce cedar, spice, earthy notes and another nuance that may either traverses the fine line between cocoa and coffee.

Lighting: After a slow toast and quick light, my palate is greeted with floral notes, strong earthy tones, espresso and quite a bit of spice. Interestingly, the ambient burn presents itself in stark contrast to the draw offering fragrances of cedar, vanilla and what I could almost describe as caramel.

First third: After letting the cigar settle for about a half inch, the flavours in the first third become more discernable. The notes at the onset of the draw are quite floral still: vanilla and cinnamon head are paramount, followed by some earthiness and a slight spice. Expelling the draw and taking into the nose, fragrances of caramel, almond and spice come forward. The burn has been quite good up until this point, not exceedingly even but nothing that warrants a touch up and the ash holds for roughly an inch to an inch and a half at the end of this third.

Second Third: Moving into the second third, the flavour profile is progressing nicely. While the ambient burn is still quite floral, the draw itself has died down some. Vanilla and cinnamon having given way to caramel and almond, accompanied still by earthy undertones and but a hint of spice on the finish. As I expel the draw and take it in once again caramel notes are still faintly present. The almond notes have intensified and are now accompanied by a strong cedar fragrance – a presence that seems to be the underlying `theme` to this smoke. The burn is still quite good as the edge continually seems to be improving as the smoke progresses and the ash still holds for a good inch to an inch and a half at the end of the second.

Final Third: Entering the finale, a somewhat acrid flavour takes a grasp on the draw, but not so much so that it ruins the smoking experience. Looking past this somewhat unfavourable flavour, cedar is still quite prominent and followed now by leathery notes, while the spice has intensified quite a bit along with some earthy undertones – it is also worth noting that the draw has become unfavourably hot towards the nub. The retro-hale offers little change from the last third, still offering almond and cedar in addition to earthy fragrances. Letting the cigar die out a little early due to the intense heat I`m receiving on the draw, the ash still holds for roughly an inch while the burn being the most even now as it has been throughout the entirety of the smoke.

Final Thoughts: This smoke started off well and worked its way through to the second third with a nice progression of flavours, but the final third left something to be desired with acrid notes and an unusually warm draw. Not something I would recommend trying unless you can get your hands on a well aged stick.

Total Smoking time was roughly 50 minutes.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice review. What year was this?? I always nub these smokes and age make these even better.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Great review! Thanks! these are tasty little treats for sure. Lots of flavor packed into a small cigar.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
As always, great review and great pictures.

I've smoked two Opus X cigars. I believe they were from their regular line as they were around $14. I wasn't exactly blown away them -- I suppose you have to smoke the limited release ones like you reviewed to truly enjoy them.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Very nice review and awesome pictures. That's disappointing the end wasn't very good. I just picked up one of these. I will most likely let it sit for at least a year. Hopefully it will turn out great.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of my fave sticks and well...

The relaxation scene you presented sitting on a beach, drink in hand, and enjoying the atmosphere with a xXx in hand. I just had that exact experience this past weekend down at Portofino in Pensacola. The fantastic bikini scenery made everything that much more enjoyable. :clap:

Good review!!

Jammerjoe

Fantasy Sports Geek
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've smoked my fair share of these bad boys...I love 'em. usually a simple purge when it gets acrid solves the problem. Once in a while it doesn't.

I have one from 2000, thanks to a certain person from the board here. Since I live in the Clearwater area in Florida, I think I'll mix some drinks, pack up a beach blanket and my lady and head down this weekend to fire it up. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for an outstanding review

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
This is my favorite opus! I always have a box of these (and a box of Perfecxion x) aging... they are great after 18 months..... one of the few Dominicans that I still enjoy. I really don't care for the other vitolas for some reason.

And great review!

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
One of my fave sticks and well...

The relaxation scene you presented sitting on a beach, drink in hand, and enjoying the atmosphere with a xXx in hand. I just had that exact experience this past weekend down at Portofino in Pensacola. The fantastic bikini scenery made everything that much more enjoyable. :clap:

Good review!!
Haha, I finally made it to the beach a couple of days later :thumbsup:

I've smoked my fair share of these bad boys...I love 'em. usually a simple purge when it gets acrid solves the problem. Once in a while it doesn't.

I have one from 2000, thanks to a certain person from the board here. Since I live in the Clearwater area in Florida, I think I'll mix some drinks, pack up a beach blanket and my lady and head down this weekend to fire it up. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for an outstanding review
I'll keep that in mind about purging, I'm not one to do it on a regular basis but from what I hear it can do wonders for the flavor profile. Thanks!

This is my favorite opus! I always have a box of these (and a box of Perfecxion x) aging... they are great after 18 months..... one of the few Dominicans that I still enjoy. I really don't care for the other vitolas for some reason.

And great review!
A nice vitola indeed, as I mentioned in an early reply the cello this came in had quite a bit of age so I would probably have to agree with you there, rest makes these better.

Thanks for the comments everyone!