What's new

Opus X Reserva d'Chateau Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hot sun, good music and an Opus X (special thanks goes out to Bob – hdroadglide - for this one), can a Thursday afternoon get any better? Well if this legendary Dominican Puro lives up to its reputation, it just might.

The Arturo Fuente Opus X Reserva d'Chateau, the name of the vitola alone sounds classy, never mind the look of the actual cigar. Built for elegance, this7x48 premium puro comes packaged in a cedar veneer that when removed reveals a delicate caramel brown wrapper adorned with hundreds of small veins, free of imperfection and topped with a lovely triple cap, this cigar rounds out nicely in the area of appearance.

Pre light: Although it came off at an angle, I rarely have a cap come off more cleanly than this. The cut gives way to a good draw carrying notes of cedar spice and mild tobacco. Fragrances from the body and foot are of strong cedar, some spice, background barnyard nuance and mild tobacco.

Lighting: The foot toasts and cherries exceptionally quickly, leading me to believe it may be somewhat dry. Regardless, waves of cedar and spice hit the palate followed by toasty notes that linger after the draw while waves of a floral cedar waft up from the ambient burn with almost vanilla like characteristics.

First third: Letting this Opus settle, I’m amazed by the quality of the draw; Never have I had such a slow burning cigar produce such copious amounts of cool creamy smoke, taking nearly 20 minutes to burn through the first inch alone. Carried on these generous swaths of smoke are sweet floral nuances, cedar, hints of spice and leather that lingers on the palate. The retro-hale is rather heavy for the first third carrying fragrances of cedar and a deep but pleasing spice with an oaky finish. The ambient burn continues to deliver a bouquet of cedar and floral notes while the burn itself progress rather nicely. Initially the foot had cracked while removing the cedar veneer the cigar was packaged in; While this initially caused some minor flaking issues, they were quickly succeeded by a razor-blade burn and an ash that dropped in roughly inch long segments.

Second Third: I’m taken aback by the floral notes that continue to come through in droves well into the second third as I’d expected lighter notes such as these to die out as the cigar progressed. Cedar is still present along with some spice and oak, although the finish has now taken quite a leathery touch. The retro-hale however is quite different in contrast to the draw; Having dropped the cedar nuances present in the previous third, only oak remains along with the addition of leather lingering afterword. The burn mimics the excellent traits exhibited in the previous third, keeping an even edge and dropping ash in roughly inch long segments.

Final Third: This Opus X comes into the finale with strong from; The floral notes have finally given way along with the cedar, leaving toasty oak, spice and leather as the dominant flavours here in the finale. The retro-hale is dark, akin to the last third as oak and leather are the only detectable notes, though more musky than before. The ambient burn hangs on to the floral cedar nuances it has displayed throughout, and although it doesn’t quite seem to fit with the other fragrances present, it is both pleasing and welcome. The burn remains exceptional, unhindered from light to finish, it holds on to roughly an inch of ash before dying out.

Final Thoughts: Before this review, I was unsure of what to expect with the hype surrounding the Opus X line, although I can now say with certainty that I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar. Having opened up on the light with a wonderful bouquet of flavours, this vitola maintained great consistency and gradually intensified with each passing third for a strong finish, epitomizing how I feel a cigar should progress. While this particular cigar is somewhat pricey at the 30 or so dollars you may have to pay for a single, it is something I believe everyone should have the pleasure of experiencing at least once.

Total smoking time was about 2 hours.

Cheers,
Shawn

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I've only smoked two Opus thus far: a year-old robusto which I liked, an an RdC from '01 which was just phenomenal. I agree that this is a must-burn cigar for all--the older the better!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
:applause: Excellent review again brother!! I have a couple Opus's and I just can't get myself to smoke them yet. I've been told the longer you let them rest the better they are....Sure hope that's true...waiting sucks!