What's new

Opus X - Worth the price?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
IMO I say no. I have had a few and don't feel I got what I paid for. I have found this to be true with a few expensive brands. I sometimes wonder if it is my fault because I am expecting to be blown away because of the price.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I am in no way an expert on OPUS X but I think I have pallate that are tuned to excellent cigars. I have only smoked about 40-50 of them and since I think one should smoked from diffrent boxes and diffrent year on every size to be able to rate them fairly I can only recommened the OPUS X Double Corona as a treat if they are aged AT LEAST 5 years.
I dont like or am impressed but one dimensional cigars that only taste pepper. But the few OPUS X I have had that was good was really really good. I think they are good cigars at MSRP or maybe 2-3 dollars more.

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Forgot to answer but... IMO, they are worth the price. I have been underwhelmed by fresh Opus enough to know I need to let them rest a year or more or I feel like I am throwing money away. But I have had that same experience with other brands as well on cigars that were similar in price. There is no way I would pay $13 for a Davidoff, but I will gladly pay that for an Opus. My .02

canadianbeaver

Coffee, cigars and Scotch
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely my favorite cigars right now, and worth the price, in cash or in trade. I had some larger premium cigars in my humidor that I knew others would enjoy, so I traded for several smaller OX's. A great deal and way to get my hands on them.

CB

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
I have a few, and I can say they're worth it to me. Right now, the Double Robusto seems to taste best to me. Good luck and don't overpay. They can be found at a reasonable price if you look hard enough.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
opus rolls up some VERY good smokes

tar build up and duds are few, which is a small part of the opus experience

very much worth trying the shapes mentioned

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get them at MSRP, sure, it's worth a try, you never know, you might find a new favorite.

Keep an eye on tampasweethearts.com for their package deals where you'll get something like 6 cigars - 2 Opus, 2 Hemingway, 2 Tampa Sweethearts (which are decent cigars) all at MSRP.

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fortunate enough through my local B&M, and some outstanding brothers on a couple of cigar sites to have been able to load up on Opus at prices very close to msrp (within $1-2), and at those prices, TO ME, they are absolutely worth it. I enjoy them fresh, and like them even more with age. I tend to stick to the smaller/thinner vitolas such as the petite lancero, #4s, #5s, and the FFOX.

I understand the resentment towards them because of the hype they get, as that's just our normal nature as people. We start to pick at the overhyped, trying to find any flaw we can. Personally I don't think anymore they are any more overhyped or overpriced than Tatuajes (which I also enjoy), but that's just me. Again, it's just something you have to figure out for yourself.

Long answer short...yes I think they are worth it, if you can get them close to msrp.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Old Virginia Tobacco Company sells them for MSRP (or damn close to it). If you are paying over $20 for Opus then you are paying too much. Unless it is a Forbidden or Lost City!

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I didn't read all of the responses but whenever I see this question asked I chuckle a bit, not only at the question but at some of the responses that are generally the same every time.

Most of the cigars in the Opus lineup have MSRPs that are less than most of your limiteds offered by every other company.

Perfecxion X (6 ¼" x 48) ......................... MSRP = $13.00
Petit Lancero (6 ¼" x 39) ........................ MSRP = $11.00
Double Robusto (5 ¾" x 52) .................... MSRP = $13.75
Super Belicoso (5 5/8" x 52) .................... MSRP = $13.00
Fuente Fuente (5 5/8" x 46) ................... MSRP = $10.50
Robusto (5 ¼" x 50) ............................... MSRP = $12.00
Perfecxion No.4 (5 3/16" x 43) ................ MSRP = $9.75
Perfecxion No.5 (4 7/8" x 40) .................. MSRP = $9.00
xXx aka "Power Ranger" (4 5/8" x 49) ..... MSRP = $10.25

As you can guess, I like 'em....and yes they're worth the price to me.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Most of the cigars in the Opus lineup have MSRPs that are less than most of your limiteds offered by every other company.
This was my thought as well Mike, maybe we should start more threads asking if XXX brand is worth the $$ for every manufacturer, lol.

And what the hell took you so long to reply, didn't your O-dar go off?

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have never had the lancero and would like to buy a couple of DCs. IF anyone would like to PM me where I can get them at MSRP or close to it I would be thankeful.