What's new

Opus X, Yuk, Home Roasted coffee, Yea.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Been smoking my habanos almost nightly and enjoying them, but decided to try an AF Opus X with a cup of Ethiopian Harar decaf I'd roasted last night, for a change of pace.

The Opus X sucked, to put it mildly. Didn't burn at all well, and didn't taste all that great either. I understand the Opus needs to sit for a fairly long time, like a year. This one was only a couple of months old, maybe I learned a lesson. The rest can sit, for a long time.

Now, as for home roasted and ground coffee goes, this is a whole new game. The Harar was my least favorite so far (only been at this for a week or so), but it was still an excellent cup of coffee. I bought my roaster from Sweet Maria's and got a selection of various green coffee beans to get me started. Roasting is easy, fun, and the results are almost beyond description. My cup of Black Dog this morning was excellent, but so was the very first batch I roasted.

If you're not ready to try roasting your own coffee, at least buy your roasted coffee from Black Dog and grind just what you need right before brewing. You'll be amazed at the difference.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yep. The Opus needs time. I kept trying to figure out what all the hype was about until I tried one with five years on it. Very, very nice.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Fuentes, but the Opus X has never done much for me. About the only one that I like is the double corona. JMO, YMMV.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Opus are great with some age, at least a year IMO.

Harrar is also my favorite. Good luck with the new roasting